Fwd: Cyber Alert - FBI - IC3 warns new email scheme

  • paul odem
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006

      Note: forwarded message attached.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006

        Although this subject has nothing to do with ham radio I would like to add a few things.

        1)  A business will NEVER ask you for your user name and / or password as they already have it.  If they 'lose' it all they have to do is create a new one and send the new one to you so you can log in and change it if you desire.

        2)  Beware of any e-mail from a business you have a relationship with that does not address you by your own name.  If it says 'Dear Sir', for instance, rest assured that a million other people are getting the same message.

        3)  Get a separate account or a debit card for online transactions.  NEVER give a business your bank account info unless you are absolutely sure they won't clean you out.  PayPal is guilty of this, an others are as well.  READ the fine print.  They can collect from any account you have given them the number for.

        4)  It is super easy to spoof stuff from eBAy.   I will leave you with this.  All one has to do is re-direct the info to another web site and it's theirs.  A simple change in the html is all it takes.

        (The following is NOT REAL)

        Dear Ebay User,

        It appears that someone has tried to access your account that did not have the correct user name and it has been locked out.  Please use the form below to sign in and unlock your account.  If this is not done in 72 hours your account will be deleted, your bank account will be emptied and we will post negative comments about your credit to all the bureaus.  You will also never again get to use Ebay and all your positive feedback comments will be changed to negative.  We will then post all your personal information on a web site and e-mail the same to millions of eBay users.

        Sorry about the inconvenience.  Your account will be unlocked immediately upon our receipt of the filled out form.  We will notify you by e-mail at this address once your account is re-activated.

        Special Notice - As compensation for your inconvenience you will recieve a $500 PayPal cash deposit coupon and be entered into a 2 million dollar sweepstakes.

         From collectibles to cars, buy and sell all kinds of items on eBay
        Sign InHelp
         New to eBay? Already an eBay user?

        If you want to sign in, you'll need to register first.

        Registration is fast and free.

        eBay User ID

        Forgot your User ID?  Fill it in here so we can scam people.
        Password

        Forgot your password?  We need that, too!
         Keep me signed in on this computer until I have no more money and my CCs are maxed out.

         Account protection tips
        Be sure the Web site address you see above starts with https://signin.ebay.com/

        About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | Policies | Site Map | Help
        Copyright © 1995-2006 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
        eBay official time
        VeriSign Seal
        About SSL Certificates
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
          Did you actually get that word for word or does it have your usual humorous twist on it?

          Pretty funny, but the grammar is way too good for it to be a real spoof :)

          Andrew

[...]

           From collectibles to cars, buy and sell all kinds of items on eBay