free?

  • kd8cbj
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
      Good,free QSL card soft ware?

      73 KD8CBJ
    • Bill Fries
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
        I don't know about free but I do my cards in Word which is paid for so
        kinda free.

        I print on heavy paper, four cards a sheet, landscape, on my BIG printer
        I have called a plotter. I'm sure it is not cheap but I have the cards
        in small quantities I can manage.

        I snagged a ninety year old ham club station in Washington (the state)
        on hf. I passed the mic to Al, K8AER for a QSO. We cranked out a card
        for him (his first QSL card?) and mailed the cards. I've gotten a LoTW
        QSL. I hope he will get his first QSL card in the mail. We used Word
        to do Al's QSL card.

        Mark, K8MHZ will help me produce a dozen or so QSL cards for the special
        event station that activated W8ZHO for their birthday party we called
        Founders' Day. I think he will use some photographic type program and
        we'll print the cards at Walgreens or something. We will also print Big
        labels for the back of the photograph for the QSL dope.

        Helps? Hope so.

        Bill, AB8SC
      • KD8CBJ@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
          A place to start,Thank You

                                                                                   73 KD8CBJ
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
            Paul,

            QSL Maker is the best place to start, but the web site is down.  The file is over a meg so I can't e-mail it to you.  http://hfradio.org/wb8rcr/QSLMaker.html

            Here is another one to try for a different program:   http://www.radioqth.net/qsl.aspx

            I also use Adobe PhotoShop and have Walgreen's print up full color glossy cards for 19 cents each.

            If you plan on sending out a bunch of cards with no SASE, the best deal is getting blank pre-stamped post cards and printing on those.

            Thanks for generating some interest in cards, I don't think we do enough card exchanges.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
              I could upload it to the mailing list.  The 1 meg restriction is on attachments I send via e-mail.

              The QSL Maker site is down right now.  I just might try to upload it to the file section here.

              Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 15:39
              Subject: RE: [WestMichiganHams] free?

              This is off topic, but for sending large files there is a website you can use http://beta. yousendit. com/ .  I haven’t actually used it myself yet, but it is free from what I can tell.

              Tim

              KC8MSE

              http://tdats. net

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2006
                For picture cards I use Irfanview, available from
                http://www.irfanview.com, available for free (donation of $10
                suggested but not required). I generally take a picture of something
                associated with whatevere event I'm celebrating (or the shack or
                house if it's a general QSL). The help files are a bit skimpy, but
                I've found that one can put a picture within a picture (like an ARRL
                Logo, or personal picture, etc). Also, one can put text within the
                picture. It is easier to use than photoshop elements, though it
                doesn't have quite as many features.

                For printing I generally forward the picture to my local Meijer,
                which does overnight printing for 17¢ per print - cheeper than one
                can buy photo stock plus ink. If I want to wait an extra day, or
                have a large order, they'll send the order to Kodak for 14¢ per print.

                This is a bit more expensive than using card stock (which I can get
                for 10¢ per sheet - so four cards cost 2.5¢ each plus the cost of
                ink. The biggest advantage, besides being a bit more colourful, is
                that with inkjet printers, most times the ink will run and smudge if
                the card gets at all wet.

                73 de n8xx Hg

                --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "kd8cbj" <KD8CBJ@...> wrote:

                > Good,free QSL card soft ware?
                >
                >73 KD8CBJ
              • Bill Fries
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
                  All:

                  Mark your calendar for November 18 and 19. That is the weekend for the
                  ARRL's Sweepstakes contest. We'll participate in the sideband version
                  of this annual contest. We'll use the W8ZHO call and hit the
                  push-to-talk starting at 4:00 pm on Saturday until either 1. we run
                  twenty-four hours or 2. we pull the plug at 10:00 pm on Sunday evening.

                  Everyone is welcome to drop in and operate, log, cheer, kibitz, or
                  whatever. We'll have tons of fun. Tom, W8AMZ has offered a HUGE pot of
                  Chile and we'll have something special for Sunday morning's breakfast.
                  Sunday lunch and dinner will be warmed over hot dogs and stale cookies.

                  So grab your sense of adventure and drop into our wonderful shack at the
                  MAARC's clubhouse. It will be tons of fun for everyone. There will
                  always be an open band, fun, radio, fun, QSOs, fun, and great hams
                  sharing a contest to remember.

                  Drop me a line with any questions. By the way, Chris, AB8WO says he can
                  operate and log without assistance. Should be quite the sight! That is
                  one really great reason to cheer!

                  Bill, AB8SC
                • Chris Schulte

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
                      One week and One day. Are you ready?

                      Rumor has it that if YOU drop in for the contest Tom, W8AMZ will also
                      bring along a big pot of gumbo. Incentive enough? Hope so!

                      Everyone is encouraged to participate in Sweeps.

                      Bill, AB8SC

                      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fries <bill_fries@...>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
                        This is a great promo for the hobby.

                        I plan on bringing my dad down to see what is going on.  He is a stamp collector and I just gave him a bunch of stamps I got by begging my DX contacts for them.  They were VERY generous.  He was amazed that I made all the contacts on a home made antenna.

                        He used to work with Bob Voyt.  Hopefully they can have a bit of a reunion.

                        wrote:

                        > All:
                        >
                        > Mark your calendar for November 18 and 19. That is the weekend for the
                        > ARRL's Sweepstakes contest. We'll participate in the sideband version
                        > of this annual contest. We'll use the W8ZHO call and hit the
                        > push-to-talk starting at 4:00 pm on Saturday until either 1. we run
                        > twenty-four hours or 2. we pull the plug at 10:00 pm on Sunday evening.
                        >
                        > Everyone is welcome to drop in and operate, log, cheer, kibitz, or
                        > whatever. We'll have tons of fun. Tom, W8AMZ has offered a HUGE
                        pot of
                        > Chile and we'll have something special for Sunday morning's breakfast.
                        > Sunday lunch and dinner will be warmed over hot dogs and stale cookies.
                        >
                        > So grab your sense of adventure and drop into our wonderful shack at
                        the
                        > MAARC's clubhouse. It will be tons of fun for everyone. There will
                        > always be an open band, fun, radio, fun, QSOs, fun, and great hams
                        > sharing a contest to remember.
                        >
                        > Drop me a line with any questions. By the way, Chris, AB8WO says he
                        can
                        > operate and log without assistance. Should be quite the sight!
                        That is
                        > one really great reason to cheer!
                        >
                        > Bill, AB8SC

                        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
                          I'd hazard the opinion that Sweepstakes might not be the venue to
                          introduce a non ham to radio. The stations you hear will all be less
                          than impressive Stateside garden variety hams. The exotic corners of
                          the globe will all be pushed off the traditional bands and will either
                          stay off the air or play their radio on the WARC bands. We won't have
                          the inclination to chase DX on a Sweepstakes weekend because the QSO
                          value does not warrant the trouble.

                          If you were going to use a contest to wow a regular guy with the
                          possibility then make the overtures on a big DX contest weekend. The
                          fast pace and tons of countries will quickly give the regular guy a
                          taste of many opportunities that present.

                          Working Indiana from Muskegon just won't have the same effect as
                          working Antarctica or India. Or bring the guy in to help you catch an
                          exotic dxpedition with a great web site and lots and lots of hams
                          entering the fray.

                          My two cents.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
                            The chili should make up for it :)

                            My dad for one will be impressed with the equipment, the shack,  the camaraderie and the fine folks.  And the chili.

                            I will forewarn him that the club's massive antenna structures and state of the art HF gear are going to be no match for my homebrew wire and coax antennas and my 45 year old Swan.

                            Yeah, that's what I will tell him....

                            This could work out just fine!