Re: Hooray for me!

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
      NR 18 R HXG AB8SC 4 Fremont MI Oct 28
      Linda, AB8QH
      =
      ARL Fifty Six DXCC
      =
      Bill, AB8SC
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
        Actually,

        I just need to get caught up in my QSL cards.  Wait until there is a contest weekend.  On 20 meters it's like shooting fish in a hubcap.

        :)

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
          Thanks, Mark. You're better off not using the bureau, in my opinion,
          unless you are willing to wait a loooong spell to see the cards. I
          have opted to QSL direct and use Logbook of the World. That's been
          satisfactory, but you are right about the green stamps. Dxing is
          fascinating. Geography, history, politics, local culture of the Dx:
          If you are open to appreciating it, you certainly get to experience
          it! Where else do you get to talk to someone in the Revillagigedo
          Islands? And learn the correct pronunciation through a .wav file of
          that long word via the magic of the Internet? At the very least, we
          get to throw our local little post office into a tizzy every time we
          show up to buy IRCs. They haven't taken to locking the doors on us
          yet, but...

          73,
          Linda, AB8QH
        • Bill Fries
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006

            Mark:

            What ever could you be waiting for?  CQ WW DX SSB is this weekend!  The exchange is 5904 (signal report and CQ zone).  Put down that computer and go play radio!

            Fish in a hubcap?  I'm "stacking the deck" and going to use the clubhouse shack.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
              My luck....

              One leg of my 20 meter antenna has blown down.  It's too windy right now to do anything about it.

              Oh, did I mention that the hubcap was at the bottom of the river?

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                You said it!

                I have been having a ball.  I have cards from places I have never heard of.  Some cool places, too, like the European Space Center....twice!

                Now if I could just get that elusive Utah card.

                I need to get some more cards out.  I worked Luxemborg the other day.  It's what, the size of Roosevelt Park?  Sure do hope they return QSL.  I did get a card from Sao Tome and Principe, that was cool.  I also finally got my card from the Galapagos Isles.  Not too long of a wait considering it was delivered via tortoise.

                I am listening to the contest on 20 right now.  What a mess!!  I think I just may try a couple....the antenna still loads up...who knows??

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                    Tell your sister you want to take Shadow hunting with you.  Tell her that you figured out how to use ham radio to do it.  Tell her that you have a 2 meter rig on your belt with an earphone listening to another ham telling you where to point the gun.  Tell her the other ham will be one of them that helped you with your antenna.

                    MAYBE she will get the hint!  :)

                    73,

                    Mark

                    (PS  Shadow is the name of the suspect, his sister's dog.  The other dog, Riley, is my pal.  Yep, Chris has a dog named Riley!  And it's not a Rot.)

                    Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 16:04

                  • jtlr.fischer@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                      contest going on this weekend

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                        Actually, I was wondering about that 5904, is the 04 just the designator for the USA?  I've heard other stations with different numbers, I'm just wondering if each number is one country, or if it's broken up into different regions per country.  Also, where can I go to get my grid square information?  I'm figuring that I'm going to need that eventually.
                        73
                        Chris Schulte

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                          Chris:

                          CQ Magazine divided the world into forty zones. Michigan is in zone 04
                          with lots of company. The United States are several zones. Helps when
                          you are listening for dx call signs, can't quite get it, but get the
                          zone as 32 or something. Likely perks your interest.

                          The CQ zones are different from the ITU zones which I believe number more.

                          Bill, AB8SC
                        • Bill Fries
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                            Grid square? There is a formula. But I don't know the formula and hf
                            dx won't care. Grid Squares are for VUCC when chasing dx above fifty
                            megahertz. Get a hundred different grids and you can apply for nice
                            wallpaper. Or fewer at gigahertz frequencies. I think.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                              Chris,

                              We are 4, or 04.  1 is part of Canada which includes Yukon and 40 is Iceland and thereabouts.  14 is Europe.  I snagged a 33 (Canary Is.)

                              The report consists of signal report and DX Zone such as 5914.

                              mhz

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                                Well, I asked the question about grid squares because I was looking at
                                http://www.omiss.net
                                and they were saying something about when you apply to become a member to
                                give your grid square. I'm guessing that there's a web site somewhere that
                                will be able to figure that stuff out. If there isn't, for those who love
                                to write php...*grin*
                                73
                                Chris
                                ab8wo

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                                  Easier to get on QRZ.  Your grid is EN63ue

                                  > CQ Magazine divided the world into forty zones. Michigan is in zone 04
                                  > with lots of company. The United States are several zones. Helps when
                                  > you are listening for dx call signs, can't quite get it, but get the
                                  > zone as 32 or something. Likely perks your interest.
                                  >
                                  > The CQ zones are different from the ITU zones which I believe number more.
                                  >
                                  > Bill, AB8SC
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > 10/27/2006

                                • Bill Fries
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 30, 2006
                                    All:

                                    You can read a Muskegon Chronicle story on how the Muskegon Air Fair is
                                    hoping you will give them direction for future shows. Although the '07
                                    show is canceled the '08 show might return the event to the airport.
                                    The organizers are hoping the general public will provide some
                                    suggestions of merit.

                                    Visit the story:

                                    http://www.mlive.com/muchronicle/latest/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_mclive/archives/2006_10.html#199476
                                  • Andrew Young
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 30, 2006
                                      If anyone goes to the meeting, I think they should suggest advertising more.  It went by one weekend and I forgot all about it.

                                      Air Fair organizers looking for ideas
                                      Muskegon Events, Inc. is asking the public for new ideas to “rejuvenate” the Muskegon Air Fair at two public forums at Muskegon Community College.

                                      The first is scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday in MCC’s Collegiate Hall. The second will be Nov. 9 at the same time and location.

                                      Muskegon Events announced a month ago that continuing financial losses had forced cancellation of the 2007 Air Fair.
                                      Air Fair organizers are seeking community input to “rejuvenate the Air Fair and allow it to continue to be a great event for many years to come,” according to a press release announcing the forums.

                                      Muskegon Events took over operation of the show in 2005 from longtime Air Fair Executive Director Terry Grevious, the former Muskegon County Airport director who launched the show in 1984.

                                      Muskegon Events also stages the Muskegon Summer Celebration, Muskegon Irish Music Festival and the Muskegon Film Festival.

                                      Attendance at the 2006 air show was among the lowest ever.
                                      Organizers said the 2006 show lost more than $100,000 and the show has lost more than $700,000 over the past five years.

                                      Despite perfect weather, last summer’s show failed to draw spectators from beyond the Muskegon area, organizers said.

                                      Attendance estimates of 38,000 to 43,000 for this year’s show were way below the 63,406 that watched the last non-jet-team show in 2002.

                                      For the complete story, return to Mlive.com or pick up a copy of Monday’s Muskegon Chronicle.