Re: 12v

  • Don Meyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
      Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
      charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
      think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

      http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

      > Morning W.M.H.ers,
      > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
      > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
      old
      > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
      >

      > 73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

    • Andrew Young
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
        If you have a power supply with an adjustable output, you can probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts.  I am using 13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries that I keep connected in parallel with it.

        If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

        Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose is better.
        Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
        charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
        think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

        http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

        > Morning W.M.H.ers,
        > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
        > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
        old
        > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
        >

        >                                         73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

      • KC8PCJ
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
          Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

          If you have a power supply with an adjustable output, you can probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts.  I am using 13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries that I keep connected in parallel with it.

          If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

          Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose is better.
          Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
          charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
          think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

          http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

          --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

          > Morning W.M.H.ers,
          > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
          > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
          old
          > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
          >

          >                                         73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

        • Andrew Young
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006

            I just uploaded a regulated power supply diagram I drew.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
              Any of the methods mentioned here will work, with proper application.
              The so-called trickle chargers may or may not properly trickle charge
              a battery for long periods of time. A battery requires the proper
              VOLTAGE, not a specific current, to be properly maintained. For gel
              bateries, it is typically 13.5-13.8 volts. For wet batteries, just a
              little lower, 13.4-13.6 volts. These trickle chargers are often no
              more than a transformer and a diode, and will work, but probably will
              kill your battery if left on for more than a few days because the
              voltage is too high.

              I've had good luck with floating batteries across a regulated supply.
              Some of the repeater stuff in service here is powered this way.
              1. the supply must be regulated, with the voltage adjusted to the
              above values
              2. a diode, capable of carrying the full output of the supply, is put
              in series with the + output, which then feeds the battery and whatever
              you are powering, to prevent a fault within the supply from shorting
              the battery out, with resulting smoke emissions and maybe a fire
              3. and I like a fuse on the battery + lead, rated somewhat above the
              supply output rating

              A downside of this setup is that the supply will be very busy feeding
              a hungry battery after a power outage. If current regulated, the
              output voltage will fall to whatever is needed to regulate the current
              according to Ohm's law. Your connected equipment will have to deal
              with somewhat or much lower voltage during that time, until the
              battery charges to some level.

              There are numerous ways to maintain batteries. This is one. I've
              floated deep-cycle marine-type batteries for 8-10 years this way. No
              matter which method, just watch the voltage across the battery during
              those long periods of <trickle> charge.

              Laryn K8TVZ

              --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "KC8PCJ" <kc8pcj@v...> wrote:

              > Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a
              float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

            • Jack Amelar
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
                wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
                would be welcome.

                I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
                series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
                failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
                occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
                Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
                18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

                73 Jack NY8D

                Jack Amelar
                1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
                Lowell, MI 49331-9711
                Home: (616)897-6885
                Office: (616)493-8736
                mailto:jamelar@...
                Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
                http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
              • kc8pcj@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                  Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

                  www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

                  From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
                  Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
                  To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Andrew Young

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

                      I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
                      Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
                      which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

                      Laryn K8TVZ
                    • KC8PCJ
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
                        Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
                        set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
                        that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
                        parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
                        The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
                        for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
                        look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
                        will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
                        www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
                        Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
                        about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
                        batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
                        operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
                        problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
                        There are many other projects on the web site.

                        73s KC8PCJ