Re: DX Cluster in the area, plus a 2nd question

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
      What frequency and location for a local 2 metre packet accessible
      DxCluster? I haven't fired up my 2 metre packet station since
      moving up to Rockford because I haven't heard much of anything about
      packet activity around here.

      A side question: I'm going to a "four county corner" in Illinois
      about 20 miles SW of Champaign, Illinois. How would I find a
      DxCluster in that area? I'll be setting up a portable station, and
      could bring along a 4 element beam to mount on 20' or so mast, if
      there's any possibility of working into a packet cluster on 2 metres.

      It appears from the coverage areas of Altell and Spring (two
      cellular services of which I could borrow a PC card for access to
      the internet) that this area is outside their normal coverage
      range. The fellow who set up at this place last year used satellite
      linkage for his internet access, which would co$t me a bundle to set
      up.

      Hg

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fries <bill_fries@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark:
      >
      > Do you use packet spotting? You will often find the station's
      > call sign listed. There are frequent mistakes, especially on cw,
      > but this is oftentimes a good place to start looking. Or verify.
      >
      > My logging program will also alert to dx being spotted. Handy!
      > Or disappointing when tons of spots are already confirmed. I'm
      > not bragging, just mentioning. And there is a new twist to
      > spotting nets where dx post that they are on the air and where.
      > Kinda like self spotting but different. I don't use this WoTA
      > stuff, yet.
      >
      > Bill, AB8SC
    • Bill Fries
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hank:

        I use the internet for dx spots. I once saw a two meter packet cluster,
        live, from Holland. I'd guess if you need a two meter cluster you're
        going to have to search the web. They must be out there somewhere.

        There are folks who county hunt, lots. Maybe they can help answer your
        question. Or you could hook into one of them and ask them to feed you
        the packet spotting stuff when you are on location.

        Bill, AB8SC