Re: [WestMichiganHams] 12v

  • jtporritt@netscape.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
      Paul,
      If you have the question there are probably many more that have been thinking about it too or are interested in the answer.
      Tom

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
        Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
        charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
        think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

        http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

        > Morning W.M.H.ers,
        > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
        > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
        old
        > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
        >

        > 73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

      • Andrew Young
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
          If you have a power supply with an adjustable output, you can probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts.  I am using 13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries that I keep connected in parallel with it.

          If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

          Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose is better.
          Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
          charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
          think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

          http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

          --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

          > Morning W.M.H.ers,
          > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
          > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
          old
          > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
          >

          >                                         73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

        • KC8PCJ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
            Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

            If you have a power supply with an adjustable output, you can probably get away with adjusting it to about 13 volts.  I am using 13.8 volts in my shack and it doesn't overheat my gel cell batteries that I keep connected in parallel with it.

            If your charger puts out 14 volts, a diode will drop the voltage by about 0.7 volts, but I recommend putting a resistor in line to keep from burning out the diode if the battery needs a lot of charge.

            Of course, a trickle charger specifically designed for the purpose is better.
            Hi Paul ... Here is a website that the ham has a kit out for a tricle
            charger but he also tells how it is made and what it is made of and I
            think it is what you are looking for ..hope it helps 73 ..Don KB8ODB

            http://www.qsl.net/ke3fl/htm/TRICKLE.HTM

            --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "paul" <KD8CBJ@a...> wrote:

            > Morning W.M.H.ers,
            > probably so simple its stupid,I need schematics for 12v car battery
            > trickle charger.I know at least there is a diode involved.Have many
            old
            > power supplies,i.e.phone charger,radio,etc etc.
            >

            >                                         73 KD8CBJ A.K.A. paul

          • Andrew Young
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006

              I just uploaded a regulated power supply diagram I drew.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2006
                Any of the methods mentioned here will work, with proper application.
                The so-called trickle chargers may or may not properly trickle charge
                a battery for long periods of time. A battery requires the proper
                VOLTAGE, not a specific current, to be properly maintained. For gel
                bateries, it is typically 13.5-13.8 volts. For wet batteries, just a
                little lower, 13.4-13.6 volts. These trickle chargers are often no
                more than a transformer and a diode, and will work, but probably will
                kill your battery if left on for more than a few days because the
                voltage is too high.

                I've had good luck with floating batteries across a regulated supply.
                Some of the repeater stuff in service here is powered this way.
                1. the supply must be regulated, with the voltage adjusted to the
                above values
                2. a diode, capable of carrying the full output of the supply, is put
                in series with the + output, which then feeds the battery and whatever
                you are powering, to prevent a fault within the supply from shorting
                the battery out, with resulting smoke emissions and maybe a fire
                3. and I like a fuse on the battery + lead, rated somewhat above the
                supply output rating

                A downside of this setup is that the supply will be very busy feeding
                a hungry battery after a power outage. If current regulated, the
                output voltage will fall to whatever is needed to regulate the current
                according to Ohm's law. Your connected equipment will have to deal
                with somewhat or much lower voltage during that time, until the
                battery charges to some level.

                There are numerous ways to maintain batteries. This is one. I've
                floated deep-cycle marine-type batteries for 8-10 years this way. No
                matter which method, just watch the voltage across the battery during
                those long periods of <trickle> charge.

                Laryn K8TVZ

                --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "KC8PCJ" <kc8pcj@v...> wrote:

                > Mark had sent an e-mail a while back, that Harbor freight had a
                float charger for about 15 bucks. That would be the best option.

              • Jack Amelar
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                  While on the subject of 12V charging, here is something I've been
                  wanting to do, but my research has so far come up blank. So any ideas
                  would be welcome.

                  I would like to use a system of 3x 6V golf cart deep cycle batteies in
                  series, total 18V, to be regulated down to 13.8V during a power
                  failure. I use the normal 13.8V power supply until a power failure
                  occurs. I need some way to automatically switch to the 18/13.8 back up.
                  Also need a float charger for the 18V and a heavy duty charger for the
                  18V to use when running a generator. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

                  73 Jack NY8D

                  Jack Amelar
                  1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
                  Lowell, MI 49331-9711
                  Home: (616)897-6885
                  Office: (616)493-8736
                  mailto:jamelar@...
                  Pager: (616)339-0802 mailto:6163390802@... or
                  http://www.arch.com/cgi-bin/wwwpreproc.cgi?PIN=6163390802
                • kc8pcj@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                    Here is a link to a group of projects which include voltage regualtors and a lot more. I have use one of the circuits already.

                    www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/schematics.htm

                    From: Jack Amelar <jamelar@...>
                    Date: Mon Jan 16 09:48:59 CST 2006
                    To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Andrew Young

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 18, 2006
[...]

                        I had something like that going once. I used relays. Simple and reliable.
                        Switch the unregulated source, whether from the rectifier or 18V string,
                        which then feeds the regulator. Power the relay coil from the rectifier.

                        Laryn K8TVZ
                      • KC8PCJ
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 20, 2006
                          Use a relay with a drop out voaltge at around 11.5V. that will switch to the
                          set of batteries. I have found that some 24Vdc relay will drop out close to
                          that. You could also set up a relay system that would put the batteries in
                          parallel and have them attached to a 12V float charger. When AC Power fails,
                          The charger could be dropped from the system, the batteries put into seires
                          for 19VDC and us a regulator to drop the power back down to 13.8VDC. I will
                          look on the web, I know there is a voltage regulator circiut on the web that
                          will drop 24VDC to 13.8VDC at 35 AMPS. I fond it.
                          www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/1230psu.htm
                          Sound like a fun project and a good idea. I will get my pendil out and see
                          about putting togeather a circuit drawing. I my self use 3 deep cycle
                          batteries in parallel but do not have a switcing circiut. I use them for all
                          operations and when the voltage drops to about 11.5V. (when radio has a
                          problem) I manualy switch to a power supply and charge the batteries.
                          There are many other projects on the web site.

                          73s KC8PCJ