Re: BroadBand Connection

  • Scott Pawlowski
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
      Those which Radio Shack sells will also work. I had to do the same
      last August after suffering numerous losses shortly after signing up
      for broadband from Comcast in June of last year. I have had zero
      issues since installing the amp. Within the last two weeks I also
      purchased and installed an APC broadband cable line surge supressor,
      which I installed at the main line coming into the house instead of
      at just the modem point and have also not had any issues.

      Scott
      KD8CMK

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young" <ayoung@...>

    • StraitMD4@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hi all ,

              The Tech showed up . Went through every thing I did . Not wanting to believe that I checked everything and that I had a suggestion to a remedy. She packed up and left.
                   I'm Still having problems . She had no idea what to do .
           She did call Dennis Berens. He is on vacation this week . She said they will have another tech come out tomorrow.
            This is the kind of service I've been dealing with from Comcast.
            Anyway, I would like to thank you all for your help and suggestions.
        I guess I'll see what they do tomorrow. Maybe time to go to Verizon.
          One would think I deserve a discount for bad service.
                                                                 73's
                                                                    Mark
                                                                                   "KD8BIG"

        From: <k8mhz@...>

        If you get a good tech out there the problem will be fixed.

        My situation was noise coming from the lines messing with my 2 meter rigs.  Ted Hawk came out first and could not find the problem.  Rather than give up he contacted another tech, Dennis Berens N8VWH.  I assisted Dennis using my trusty fox hunt gear and we found the source.  After it was corrected Ted called my cell phone and left me his number to call him if I had any more problems.

        Better advise....hold off broadband until we get our WiFi service in Muskegon.

        Hi Mark....welcome to the crowd.   I live on a "fringe" leg of  Comcast, and had them out to check their end and everything was OK.    The best solution is to go down and buy yourself a preamplifier, but you have to make sure it is "Bidirectional" ..   meaning it will allow commands you send from your computer to get back to the net.  I bought mine, an RCA model DT100M at best Buy and paid around 30 dollars for it.   Not only will it have enough gain to support multiple computers, it will get rid of the "fuzzy channel" syndrome as well.   I have not had problem one with connecting after I installed this preamp.  Best advise....dont bother with Comcast...it' s a waist of time.
        This is a sure fix.    I guarantee it.....   KV8X

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

      • Al Pepping
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
          Hi Mark.....  Not surprising.  The overwhelming problem in these cases is lack of adequate signal at the point it comes into your home.  CATV signals appear to come in OK, but  broadband high speed data, signal levels need to be at a higher level above the noise floor.   Comcast appears to be deficient in attaining this level in many cases.  Good luck in getting them to admit the flaw is on their end.  One question :  is your computer connection direct into the 10/100 card from the cable or are you using wireless at 2.4 gHz. thru a router????                                          KV8X

          From: <k8mhz@...>

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
            Hi Al,      My computer is connected directly to the cable. Got rid of splitters in the line and the signal still comes and goes.
                                                                          KD8BIG

            From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

            From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
              Hi Doc....
                    Sounds like you are down to a couple of options.  DSL from Verizon or other provider, or take the Nestea plunge and do the pre amp route.  I  didn't like spending the money to get a signal I felt should have been there in the first place, but it's  necessary, especially if you have multiple taps.  In my case, I didn't need a tech to determine the problem, I measured the signal  here with a 100 mHz O-scope and found the signal level inadequate, especially with taps in line.   The thirty bucks I spent was worth not having to jump hoops.  I now have enough signal to run many taps with no corporate entanglements.  Most places have a return policy, my suggestion would be to go buy one, see if it solves the problem and if it doesn't, return it and get your money back.  Until a price competitive high speed internet option comes to this area, we are forced to play ball with the only kid on the block who has a ballfield.   Grand Rapids, Holland, Grand Haven and even Whitehall has wireless broadband (WiFi), but not here.   Since I don't have a landline phone here,  my cheapest way to go fast is with Comcast.  Sort of like owning a wooden boat..... it floats, but you have to get used to  splinters.....
                                                                                                                                              KV8X

              From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

              From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                And you still may need that amp, because the signal may not be enough coming into your home.  Another problem I had was that the modem was bad.  It gave me the same symptoms.  You; however, said you tried another modem.

                From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

                From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Radio Shack- Full cash refund returns for 30 days.

                  From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@comcast. net>

                  From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Hi Mark,

                    Your problem should be soon taken care of. I contacted a friend of mine, a senior technician at Comcast.  He is now looking into getting your problem corrected, If there is anybody at Comcast that can do it he can.
                    As for amplifiers, that’s issue.  At no time should it be necessary to put in an amplifier.  They legally obligated to provide enough signal to maintain a minimum of 0db at each device such as TV, modem for total of four devices. We always tried to provide 8-12db at the ground block. Should the customer need to run more devices then they have to provide for that by law also. Now, unfortunately a large number of the technicians there do not have the understanding for RF like we do. But there are a few that do.

                    Scott Christmas will be checking into this, he may not be the one coming out, but he will follow up and see that it gets resolved. He is stuck working in the head-in for the next few weeks.

                    I have been instructed to give you or anyone else that may be having this problem his direct Nextel number. You or anybody else who needs his number can give me a call @ 231-767-1095 and will be happy to pass it on.
                    They actually do want the problem fixed, they realize the competition is coming.
                    73’
                    Tom W8AMZ

                    From:

                      From: "Al Pepping"

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                        Hi all,
                            I would like to thank you all for the advice and help you have given me . I'm hoping to have uninterrupted service soon .
                                                                          73's
                                                                                  Mark    "KD8BIG"

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 14, 2006
                          It has been a week now and I have had the best service I've had
                          since I started with Comcast . I do not know what Scott Christmas
                          did Tom . I will tell you it worked .
                          I have been told by several Amateurs that the last week I've
                          sounded better than ever on Echo-Link .
                          To bad I had to go through so much to get the service I paid
                          for . I am happy with what I have now .

                          KD8BIG
                          Mark

                          --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, StraitMD4@... wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          > I would like to thank you all for the advice and help you have
                          given me . I'm hoping to have uninterrupted service soon .
                          > 73's

                          Mark "KD8BIG"

                          > From: Tom Nickisch <w8amz@...>
                          > Hi Mark,
                          >
                          > Your problem should be soon taken care of. I contacted a friend of
                          mine, a senior technician at Comcast. He is now looking into
                          getting your problem corrected, If there is anybody at Comcast that
                          can do it he can.
                          > As for amplifiers, that?s issue. At no time should it be
                          necessary to put in an amplifier. They legally obligated to provide
                          enough signal to maintain a minimum of 0db at each device such as
                          TV, modem for total of four devices. We always tried to provide 8-
                          12db at the ground block. Should the customer need to run more
                          devices then they have to provide for that by law also. Now,
                          unfortunately a large number of the technicians there do not have
                          the understanding for RF like we do. But there are a few that do.

                          > Scott Christmas will be checking into this, he may not be the one
                          coming out, but he will follow up and see that it gets resolved. He
                          is stuck working in the head-in for the next few weeks.

                          > I have been instructed to give you or anyone else that may be
                          having this problem his direct Nextel number. You or anybody else
                          who needs his number can give me a call @ 231-767-1095 and will be
                          happy to pass it on.
                          > They actually do want the problem fixed, they realize the
                          competition is coming.

                          > 73?
                          > Tom W8AMZ
                          >

                          > StraitMD4@... wrote:
                          > Hi all ,
                          >
                          > The Tech showed up . Went through every thing I did . Not wanting
                          to believe that I checked everything and that I had a suggestion to
                          a remedy. She packed up and left.
                          > I'm Still having problems . She had no idea what to do .
                          > She did call Dennis Berens. He is on vacation this week . She said
                          they will have another tech come out tomorrow.
                          > This is the kind of service I've been dealing with from Comcast.
                          > Anyway, I would like to thank you all for your help and
                          suggestions.
                          > I guess I'll see what they do tomorrow. Maybe time to go to
                          Verizon.
                          > One would think I deserve a discount for bad service.
                          > 73's
                          > Mark
                          > "KD8BIG"

                          > From:
                          > If you get a good tech out there the problem will be fixed.
                          >
                          > My situation was noise coming from the lines messing with my 2
                          meter rigs. Ted Hawk came out first and could not find the problem.
                          Rather than give up he contacted another tech, Dennis Berens N8VWH.
                          I assisted Dennis using my trusty fox hunt gear and we found the
                          source. After it was corrected Ted called my cell phone and left me
                          his number to call him if I had any more problems.

                          > Better advise....hold off broadband until we get our WiFi service
                          in Muskegon.

                          8/25/2006