BroadBand Connection

  • muskegonjimquay
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
      Over the last few weeks I have had problems with the signal to my
      cable modem . I lose the signal to my modem but still have my
      digital cable .
      I have all new cabal "18 awg " and have eliminated splitters . I
      also tried running a direct line and not having ant televisions
      connected and still have a problem . I bought a new ethernet cable .
      The other thing is I seem to lose my signal more during the hours
      from 9am-8pm. I do lose the signal through-out the night, just not
      as often . When I lose the signal it will be lost from anywhere 3-10
      minutes. Then it comes back for a few minutes and goes away.
      Should I build an amp ? giving me a 10-15 db gain in signal
      strength or should I look at some thing else ? I did try another
      modem with no success.
      I called comcast and they say things look good at there end .
      They will send out a tech again . the tech seems to have problems
      diagnoseing the problem .
      I think it may be in the ISP's network port. They think other
      wise .
      73's
      Mark "KD8BIG"
    • Al Pepping
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        Hi Mark....welcome to the crowd.   I live on a "fringe" leg of  Comcast, and had them out to check their end and everything was OK.    The best solution is to go down and buy yourself a preamplifier, but you have to make sure it is "Bidirectional"..   meaning it will allow commands you send from your computer to get back to the net.  I bought mine, an RCA model DT100M at best Buy and paid around 30 dollars for it.   Not only will it have enough gain to support multiple computers, it will get rid of the "fuzzy channel" syndrome as well.   I have not had problem one with connecting after I installed this preamp.  Best advise....dont bother with Comcast...it's a waist of time.
        This is a sure fix.    I guarantee it.....   KV8X

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
          If you get a good tech out there the problem will be fixed.

          My situation was noise coming from the lines messing with my 2 meter rigs.  Ted Hawk came out first and could not find the problem.  Rather than give up he contacted another tech, Dennis Berens N8VWH.  I assisted Dennis using my trusty fox hunt gear and we found the source.  After it was corrected Ted called my cell phone and left me his number to call him if I had any more problems.

          Better advise....hold off broadband until we get our WiFi service in Muskegon.

[...]

          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        • Andrew Young
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            If you get an amp, make sure it is a bidirectional one.  I may help if your signal is low.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              Those which Radio Shack sells will also work. I had to do the same
              last August after suffering numerous losses shortly after signing up
              for broadband from Comcast in June of last year. I have had zero
              issues since installing the amp. Within the last two weeks I also
              purchased and installed an APC broadband cable line surge supressor,
              which I installed at the main line coming into the house instead of
              at just the modem point and have also not had any issues.

              Scott
              KD8CMK

              --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Young" <ayoung@...>

            • StraitMD4@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                Hi all ,

                      The Tech showed up . Went through every thing I did . Not wanting to believe that I checked everything and that I had a suggestion to a remedy. She packed up and left.
                           I'm Still having problems . She had no idea what to do .
                   She did call Dennis Berens. He is on vacation this week . She said they will have another tech come out tomorrow.
                    This is the kind of service I've been dealing with from Comcast.
                    Anyway, I would like to thank you all for your help and suggestions.
                I guess I'll see what they do tomorrow. Maybe time to go to Verizon.
                  One would think I deserve a discount for bad service.
                                                                         73's
                                                                            Mark
                                                                                           "KD8BIG"

                From: <k8mhz@...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Hi Mark.....  Not surprising.  The overwhelming problem in these cases is lack of adequate signal at the point it comes into your home.  CATV signals appear to come in OK, but  broadband high speed data, signal levels need to be at a higher level above the noise floor.   Comcast appears to be deficient in attaining this level in many cases.  Good luck in getting them to admit the flaw is on their end.  One question :  is your computer connection direct into the 10/100 card from the cable or are you using wireless at 2.4 gHz. thru a router????                                          KV8X

                  From: <k8mhz@...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Hi Al,      My computer is connected directly to the cable. Got rid of splitters in the line and the signal still comes and goes.
                                                                                  KD8BIG

                    From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

                    From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Hi Doc....
                            Sounds like you are down to a couple of options.  DSL from Verizon or other provider, or take the Nestea plunge and do the pre amp route.  I  didn't like spending the money to get a signal I felt should have been there in the first place, but it's  necessary, especially if you have multiple taps.  In my case, I didn't need a tech to determine the problem, I measured the signal  here with a 100 mHz O-scope and found the signal level inadequate, especially with taps in line.   The thirty bucks I spent was worth not having to jump hoops.  I now have enough signal to run many taps with no corporate entanglements.  Most places have a return policy, my suggestion would be to go buy one, see if it solves the problem and if it doesn't, return it and get your money back.  Until a price competitive high speed internet option comes to this area, we are forced to play ball with the only kid on the block who has a ballfield.   Grand Rapids, Holland, Grand Haven and even Whitehall has wireless broadband (WiFi), but not here.   Since I don't have a landline phone here,  my cheapest way to go fast is with Comcast.  Sort of like owning a wooden boat..... it floats, but you have to get used to  splinters.....
                                                                                                                                                      KV8X

                      From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

                      From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                        And you still may need that amp, because the signal may not be enough coming into your home.  Another problem I had was that the modem was bad.  It gave me the same symptoms.  You; however, said you tried another modem.

                        From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@...>

                        From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                          Radio Shack- Full cash refund returns for 30 days.

                          From: "Al Pepping" <kv8x@comcast. net>

                          From: <k8mhz@k8mhz. com>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                            Hi Mark,

                            Your problem should be soon taken care of. I contacted a friend of mine, a senior technician at Comcast.  He is now looking into getting your problem corrected, If there is anybody at Comcast that can do it he can.
                            As for amplifiers, that’s issue.  At no time should it be necessary to put in an amplifier.  They legally obligated to provide enough signal to maintain a minimum of 0db at each device such as TV, modem for total of four devices. We always tried to provide 8-12db at the ground block. Should the customer need to run more devices then they have to provide for that by law also. Now, unfortunately a large number of the technicians there do not have the understanding for RF like we do. But there are a few that do.

                            Scott Christmas will be checking into this, he may not be the one coming out, but he will follow up and see that it gets resolved. He is stuck working in the head-in for the next few weeks.

                            I have been instructed to give you or anyone else that may be having this problem his direct Nextel number. You or anybody else who needs his number can give me a call @ 231-767-1095 and will be happy to pass it on.
                            They actually do want the problem fixed, they realize the competition is coming.
                            73’
                            Tom W8AMZ

                            From:

                              From: "Al Pepping"

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                                Hi all,
                                    I would like to thank you all for the advice and help you have given me . I'm hoping to have uninterrupted service soon .
                                                                                  73's
                                                                                          Mark    "KD8BIG"

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 14, 2006
                                  It has been a week now and I have had the best service I've had
                                  since I started with Comcast . I do not know what Scott Christmas
                                  did Tom . I will tell you it worked .
                                  I have been told by several Amateurs that the last week I've
                                  sounded better than ever on Echo-Link .
                                  To bad I had to go through so much to get the service I paid
                                  for . I am happy with what I have now .

                                  KD8BIG
                                  Mark

                                  --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, StraitMD4@... wrote:

                                  > Hi all,
                                  > I would like to thank you all for the advice and help you have
                                  given me . I'm hoping to have uninterrupted service soon .
                                  > 73's

                                  Mark "KD8BIG"

                                  > From: Tom Nickisch <w8amz@...>
                                  > Hi Mark,
                                  >
                                  > Your problem should be soon taken care of. I contacted a friend of
                                  mine, a senior technician at Comcast. He is now looking into
                                  getting your problem corrected, If there is anybody at Comcast that
                                  can do it he can.
                                  > As for amplifiers, that?s issue. At no time should it be
                                  necessary to put in an amplifier. They legally obligated to provide
                                  enough signal to maintain a minimum of 0db at each device such as
                                  TV, modem for total of four devices. We always tried to provide 8-
                                  12db at the ground block. Should the customer need to run more
                                  devices then they have to provide for that by law also. Now,
                                  unfortunately a large number of the technicians there do not have
                                  the understanding for RF like we do. But there are a few that do.

                                  > Scott Christmas will be checking into this, he may not be the one
                                  coming out, but he will follow up and see that it gets resolved. He
                                  is stuck working in the head-in for the next few weeks.

                                  > I have been instructed to give you or anyone else that may be
                                  having this problem his direct Nextel number. You or anybody else
                                  who needs his number can give me a call @ 231-767-1095 and will be
                                  happy to pass it on.
                                  > They actually do want the problem fixed, they realize the
                                  competition is coming.

                                  > 73?
                                  > Tom W8AMZ
                                  >

                                  > StraitMD4@... wrote:
                                  > Hi all ,
                                  >
                                  > The Tech showed up . Went through every thing I did . Not wanting
                                  to believe that I checked everything and that I had a suggestion to
                                  a remedy. She packed up and left.
                                  > I'm Still having problems . She had no idea what to do .
                                  > She did call Dennis Berens. He is on vacation this week . She said
                                  they will have another tech come out tomorrow.
                                  > This is the kind of service I've been dealing with from Comcast.
                                  > Anyway, I would like to thank you all for your help and
                                  suggestions.
                                  > I guess I'll see what they do tomorrow. Maybe time to go to
                                  Verizon.
                                  > One would think I deserve a discount for bad service.
                                  > 73's
                                  > Mark
                                  > "KD8BIG"

                                  > From:
                                  > If you get a good tech out there the problem will be fixed.
                                  >
                                  > My situation was noise coming from the lines messing with my 2
                                  meter rigs. Ted Hawk came out first and could not find the problem.
                                  Rather than give up he contacted another tech, Dennis Berens N8VWH.
                                  I assisted Dennis using my trusty fox hunt gear and we found the
                                  source. After it was corrected Ted called my cell phone and left me
                                  his number to call him if I had any more problems.

                                  > Better advise....hold off broadband until we get our WiFi service
                                  in Muskegon.

                                  8/25/2006