Ddigital signal notes

  • George (Skip) VerDuin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2006
      Greeting to the digital users of 145.070.
      If that is not "you", then this is not probably interesting at all.

      If there is any good news in this it is that k8rra is now stepping on a lot fewer other signals.
      I recently discovered my collision avoidance techniques were not working and I was transmitting on top of other packet signals.
      Of course that is a bad thing to do - sorry.
      More accurately in detail - I was not properly detecting the presence of other signals and delaying transmission until others cleared the air.

      Now I am - I have done some detail signal analysis and found 100% success with signals I can hear.
      At the same time I can report that collisions are very prevalent.

      For the purpose of avoiding collisions, the most important parameters I am using are:
      FULLDUP=OFF, DWAIT=0, SLOTTIME=7, PERSIST=63
      There are many others, not worth detailing here.

      The purpose of this note is to open the door to improving the traffic thruput on 145.070 by getting our configurations to work better in concert.

      If there is interest in this subject, please reply to me on the reflector and then lets consider a sub-group for this purpose only?
      Two outcomes are obvious:
      1. No one will care about this subject and life will continue as it has been.
      2. Enough hams will participate to optimize that traffic will improve and lids will move off the frequency.
      I'm OK with either outcome, and there may be other outcomes too.

      73
      de Skip k8rra k