General Radio :A blast from the past

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9 5:22 PM
          General Radio was a company that literally started at the beginning of radio....in 1915.  They were a  parts and test equipment manufacturer and in final days, was a fairly large company.  Like many others in the radio field, GR jumped on the "citizens radio" service bandwagon and manufactured a couple of CB sets in the 60's, two of what I recall were the MC-5 and the MC-6.  They were "transceivers" by definition but  actually consisted of a crystal controlled transmitter and a separate tunable receiver.   General Radio ended it's run around 1970 being bought out by conglomerates, and the GR name eventually disappeared, like Central Electronics, Heathkit and others did.  If you have a "Variac" lying around in your junk parts bin, check the name on.   It could be a General Radio.  Interesting to note, GR did not have assembly lines, each unit was hand built by skilled technicians.  I'm not certain but I don't recall the company making any  "ham specific" gear,  but they made a lot of quality test equipment that no doubt was in a lot of ham shacks.    Ah...the good ol' days .... KV8X