Re: [WestMichiganHams] Hams monitored distress calls?

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
      Interesting,

      The Chronicle has written twice now that the Coast Guard did not receive the calls directly.

      Could it possibly be the Chronicle is in error?

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
        Like the Chronic-illl could ever get the facts correct anyhow.  Nobody there orther than Tracy Lorenze there seems to have a darn clue.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
          No, the Chronicle reported that part correctly.  The vessel in distress did not contact the Coast Guard directly.  The information was passed on by someone who had been on the other Marine Channel.  I am not sure where the Ham part of it came in.  The person I was talking to did not hear anything about Hams.

          Denny  N8CTT

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
            All:

            I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
            PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
            connectors.

            Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

            Thanks!

            Bill, AB8SC
          • Alan NV8A
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
              IOn 08/16/06 07:58 pm Bill Fries wrote:

              > All:
              >
              > I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
              > PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
              > connectors.
              >
              > Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

              If your Polyphasers all have N connectors, it's because that's what you
              chose to buy. You can buy them with either N or UHF connectors, and you
              can buy non-crimp N connectors too; doesn't LMR400 take the same
              connectors as RG8?

              73

              Alan NV8A
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                Buy?

                Aren't those the ones you got off the Verizon tower by your house?

                > I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
                > PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
                > connectors.
                >
                > Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

                If your Polyphasers all have N connectors, it's because that's what you
                chose to buy. You can buy them with either N or UHF connectors, and you
                can buy non-crimp N connectors too; doesn't LMR400 take the same
                connectors as RG8?

                73

                Alan NV8A

                Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              • Al Pepping
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
                  Hi Bill....Forget crimp on connectors.   Ever take a look at the crimp on connectors used on RS cable?????   They will fail, guaranteed.   I prefer 2 piece N connectors.  I  bought a bunch of them before FD and they were about $6.50 each  (AES price) .  They work great with LMR400.  Keep in mind, no connector is waterproof, moisture proof at best and they must be sealed to keep out water.  Liquid electrical tape is wonderful stuff.  Coax seal will work if you never plan on re using the connector again.   Remember the horse and the oats theorem.    AL....KV8X

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                    All:

                    We had a wonderful Founders' Day Picnic event at the MAARC clubhouse.
                    Many, many thanks for everyone's participation and assistance. The food
                    was wonderful and the friendship shared was much better than the food.

                    Can you get over Al, KV8X's special presentation of memorabilia from
                    W8UCG??!!

                    We will enjoy the video of the old home movies now on VHS format, too.
                    The goal there is to get some captions and identify a few of the older
                    hams on the tape.

                    Many thanks to all who came and enjoyed the event. There is already
                    talk of another picnic next summer. Are you in?

                    Bill, AB8SC