Re: Feelings about Ham in a Day

  • Ken Lenz
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
      Being licensed 30 years ago I guess I have some right to approach a
      response from an older and somewhat crusty viewpoint. Back then
      learning was by study with an Elmer, reading books and going to the
      very sanitary government FCC office in Chicago to take a test. No
      question pools online, no wholesale VE testing. (except for a Novice
      license). Study of 5 WPM then 13 WPM code but developing a mental
      block of 20 WPM.

      I think that if a person can get a ticket in a day it is a wonderful
      thing and we as a community should continue to round out the person's
      eduction with Ham experiences and the crusty 'ol fashion Elmer
      process.

      Did you study for weeks on end before learning the Internet in order
      to embrase or use the technology. Likely not but you learned from
      experiences. How to connect to the web, perform a web search and even
      post to a group.

      Look at the demographics of our community... getting older aren't
      we. Time to bring in the 'Nintendo kids' to help advance some of the
      technology. The Internet, APRS, Echolink and D-Star were not widely
      known, used or in existance when I started. If all we had to offer
      today was study, study, study to listen to us talk about the old
      days few of the newer Internet generation would take us seriously.

      BTW - I traded my straight key and FT101B for a TNC and APRS with an
      IGate.

      My 2ยข

      Ken - KB9NK
    • Jim KC8PCJ
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        ham in a day or a year you really don't start learning until you are on the air and learning from so many others that have learned from so many others that have learned from so many others. I studied for months and passed my General, but did not learn what I studied until I put it to use and recieved so much help from other hams both on the air and off.
      • Bill Fries
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
          All:

          The MAARC (the Muskegon radio club) is having a Founders' Day Picnic and
          YOU are invited.

          We will feature a pig roast, Special Event, special presentation, lots
          of photographs and video, and tons and tons of fun for our families.

          The event starts at 11:00 am and lunch will be noon. It is a pot luck
          thing so bring along a salad or desert to go along with the pig roast.
          Cost will be $8 for adults, kids 5 to 12 will be $4, and under five kids
          are free.

          Bring the family, your friends, hams of all ages, and the kids. We will
          have games, radio, fun, and all manner of picnic related events. Can
          you pin the antenna on the transceiver? Volleyball? Games? Fun!

          Mark your calendar for August 19, a Saturday. We'll run until the cows
          come home.
        • Tom Nickisch

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
              Do you know that the picnic will be at the clubhouse? 2888 Scenic
              Drive a quarter mile south of the Red Rooster Tavern, a stone's throw
              from Lake Michigan, and between Muskegon and White Lakes.
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 25, 2009
                Founders' Day Picnic

                We are going to enjoy the upcoming Founders' Day Picnic at the clubhouse on August 8. The fun starts at eleven o'clock in the morning. Lunch will be a potluck affair at noon. In the afternoon, there will be games and fun for the entire family. Please note that we will have old-fashioned games (sack races, three legged races, and related games) for the kids so bring the kids and grandkids to this event. We will also have fun games for the "older" participants, too. This event will run into the afternoon.

                We have invited Karl, W8KGR, and his museum quality spark shack. Join the fun as we see how the "old-timers" did radio. Maybe we'll even earn the prestigious WAN (Work All Neighbors) wallpaper during the demonstration.

                There will not be an additional cost beyond the potluck dish you will pass, so pack the watermelon and sweet corn. Bring along a dish of potato salad or brats for the grill. Leave the ants at home. It's an old fashioned picnic. Does anyone have an ice cream maker you can share? I'm going to bring a tablecloth and we'll picnic right on the grass under that steel tree in the yard.

                We hope to see all of you there. Bill, NA8M, Linda, WA8M, and other friends of the MAARC host this picnic. You don't have to be a member. You do have to drop in and help us enjoy the company and fun.

                Note: The Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council has their clubhouse located at 2888 Scenic Drive in Muskegon. Google the address.

                This event is open to all who want to enjoy the picnic regardless of amateur radio license status. It's going to be great fun. Come on out.

                de Bill, NA8M