RE: [WestMichiganHams] Feelings about Ham in a Day

  • Deater, Tim
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006

      I am all for the ham in a day class.  I do see your points Mark and do agree with many of them, but I think getting more people in the hobby is a great thing.  When I got my license I saw a testing session at the end of the week.  So, I started reading the question pools on Tuesday and took the test Friday.  Not quite ham in a day, but pretty close.  Yeah, I did not retain most of that information, but now that I am licensed I have learned what I need to know.  I don’t need to know the frequency ranges of 6 meters etc when I only ever use 2 meters.  All of the local hams have always been great helping newcomers out from what I have heard, and from my own experiences.  That is part of what makes this hobby great!  There are many of us out there that can read manuals all day and not comprehend anything.  Give us some hands on time and we will learn it really quick.  I am looking forward to getting some new faces into the hobby and getting some more check-ins and spotters in the field.

      73

      Tim Deater

      KC8MSE

      Newaygo County Skywarn Coordinator