packet use info

  • kd8cbj
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      1.I am studying "intro to packet radio"by Larry Kenny WB9LOZ.Any
      suggestions for other packet how to's?
      2.When I connected I got this as a list of available commands---WinPack-
      Awg uses a virtual TNC-what appears to the user as the TNC responding
      to TNC2-style commands is,in fact,part of the software.The available
      Virtual commands are:----list.So how do I participate in the Packet net
      at MKG KA-NODE and MKG-1 BBS?
      3.Is the best teacher just trying the different commands and see what
      they do?I just don't want to interrupt legitimate traffic with my
      testing/playing.

      73 KD8CBJ
    • Joe Veldhuis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        If testing and playing with packet radio aren't legitimate traffic, then
        there isn't any legitimate traffic to interrupt.

        I'd suggest you try the following:

        a. Leave a message for someone. If you can hit Don's station from your
        location (and you probably can), leave one for me on it. In WinPack,
        with AGW running (enter commands in quotes as given, without quotes):

        1. Connect to Don's station: "c WB8I"
        2. Leave a message for me: "s KD8ATU"
        3. Enter a title (like an e-mail message)
        4. Enter some text. When you're finished, put "/EX" on a line by itself.
        5. Disconnect. "b"

        b. Send internet e-mail to yourself via Winlink. You should be able to
        hit Ed's station, which is what's called a "Telpac" (TELnet over PACket)
        node, it connects to a telnet server over the internet, and lets you
        interact with it via packet.

        1. Connect. "c KC8LBZ-2" (the -2 is an SSID. This is how one
        distinguishes different stations using the same call)
        2. Send an SMTP (internet) message: "sp smtp:kd8cbj@..."
        3. Enter the message like you did before, again ending with "/EX" on
        an otherwise blank line.
        4. Disconnect. "b"

        You might also want to try APRS. You'll need an app such as UI-View32
        for that. APRS is run primarily on 144.390, you'll also hear traffic on
        145.800 (and possibly .825) when the International Space Station is
        passing overhead.

        -Joe, KD8ATU

        kd8cbj wrote:
        > 3.Is the best teacher just trying the different commands and see what
        > they do?I just don't want to interrupt legitimate traffic with my
        > testing/playing.
        >
        > 73 KD8CBJ
      • Tom Porritt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          Joe,
          Very nice response. Thankyou.

          Paul,
          The reason we began using 07 in the first place was to develop our knowledge and expertise. Glad to see you using it.
          Tom

        • KD8CBJ@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
            Perfect Joe,just what I need,1 2 3 babysteps.The syntax is what I was missing.Telpac/Telnet was going to be next,I do have UI-View32 and registration# that is  next,next.
                                                                                                                        73 KD8CBJ