Hams monitored distress calls?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
      From Mlive:

      "Wannamaker said there have been no reports of a boat missing or being late at any area marina. She said the distress call was made on a marine radio channel typically used and monitored by ham radio operators, not the usual channel 16 distress frequency, so the Coast Guard did not receive the call directly."

      So....can anyone tell me just what channel Ms. Wannamaker is talking about?

      This whole thing smells....fishy.

      Does anyone else have any info on this???
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
        That would mean the boater was ham...or had an illegal rig on board.  If the boater was a ham, he would have had a call sign.  It would be interesting to know where the so called hams that monitored the call were.  20 is pretty tough in the morning right now.

        Things just don't add up.

        Probably 14.300.  She probably was not familiar with her radio or the regs.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
            Sometimes hams get lumped together with CBers by the uninformed.
            Tom

          • StraitMD4@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
               Maybe a boater who had a amateur rig and thought it was a marine radio.
                   I know that 2 years ago a friend of mine came down from Charlevoix in his 32' foot boat for the Coast Guard Fest. He had made the trip along with several others from the Traverse City area. My thoughts is maybe the allege boater maybe from somewhere other than the local area.
                                 73's
                                              KD8BIG

              From: <k8mhz@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                Sorry for the late response.  I talked last week with someone who monitored the traffic to and from the Coast Guard on this and the reporting person received the information on a Marine Channel.  I can't remember if he said it was 63 or 68.

                Denny N8CTT

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                  Interesting,

                  The Chronicle has written twice now that the Coast Guard did not receive the calls directly.

                  Could it possibly be the Chronicle is in error?

                  Sorry for the late response.  I talked last week with someone who monitored the traffic to and from the Coast Guard on this and the reporting person received the information on a Marine Channel.  I can't remember if he said it was 63 or 68.

                  Denny N8CTT

                  "Wannamaker said there have been no reports of a boat missing or being late at any area marina. She said the distress call was made on a marine radio channel typically used and monitored by ham radio operators, not the usual channel 16 distress frequency, so the Coast Guard did not receive the call directly."

                  So....can anyone tell me just what channel Ms. Wannamaker is talking about?

                  This whole thing smells....fishy.

                  Does anyone else have any info on this???

                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                • Tom Nickisch
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                    Like the Chronic-illl could ever get the facts correct anyhow.  Nobody there orther than Tracy Lorenze there seems to have a darn clue.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
                      No, the Chronicle reported that part correctly.  The vessel in distress did not contact the Coast Guard directly.  The information was passed on by someone who had been on the other Marine Channel.  I am not sure where the Ham part of it came in.  The person I was talking to did not hear anything about Hams.

                      Denny  N8CTT

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                        All:

                        I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
                        PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
                        connectors.

                        Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

                        Thanks!

                        Bill, AB8SC
                      • Alan NV8A
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                          IOn 08/16/06 07:58 pm Bill Fries wrote:

                          > All:
                          >
                          > I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
                          > PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
                          > connectors.
                          >
                          > Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

                          If your Polyphasers all have N connectors, it's because that's what you
                          chose to buy. You can buy them with either N or UHF connectors, and you
                          can buy non-crimp N connectors too; doesn't LMR400 take the same
                          connectors as RG8?

                          73

                          Alan NV8A
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16, 2006
                            Buy?

                            Aren't those the ones you got off the Verizon tower by your house?

                            > I'm kicking around the idea of using LMR 400 for feedline. The
                            > PolyPhasers seem to all be N connectors. I'll need to crimp on these N
                            > connectors.
                            >
                            > Does anyone have the tools for the job that I can borrow?

                            If your Polyphasers all have N connectors, it's because that's what you
                            chose to buy. You can buy them with either N or UHF connectors, and you
                            can buy non-crimp N connectors too; doesn't LMR400 take the same
                            connectors as RG8?

                            73

                            Alan NV8A

                            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                          • Al Pepping
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
                              Hi Bill....Forget crimp on connectors.   Ever take a look at the crimp on connectors used on RS cable?????   They will fail, guaranteed.   I prefer 2 piece N connectors.  I  bought a bunch of them before FD and they were about $6.50 each  (AES price) .  They work great with LMR400.  Keep in mind, no connector is waterproof, moisture proof at best and they must be sealed to keep out water.  Liquid electrical tape is wonderful stuff.  Coax seal will work if you never plan on re using the connector again.   Remember the horse and the oats theorem.    AL....KV8X

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                                All:

                                We had a wonderful Founders' Day Picnic event at the MAARC clubhouse.
                                Many, many thanks for everyone's participation and assistance. The food
                                was wonderful and the friendship shared was much better than the food.

                                Can you get over Al, KV8X's special presentation of memorabilia from
                                W8UCG??!!

                                We will enjoy the video of the old home movies now on VHS format, too.
                                The goal there is to get some captions and identify a few of the older
                                hams on the tape.

                                Many thanks to all who came and enjoyed the event. There is already
                                talk of another picnic next summer. Are you in?

                                Bill, AB8SC