liability and private horses question

  • Dianne L Karp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      To all and sundry.

      As you know, the West Kingdom has just this last year or so gotten back
      into doing Eq activities. Much has changed and our kingdom officers have
      liability questions. The following was brought up at a recent Kingdom
      Officer meeting and I was asked to forward it to you all for comment.
      There seems to be some concern that the gate waiver/blue card waiver and
      the event insurance do not cover these situations. Since we have
      private horses being used all the time at places like Gulf Wars (were
      there are rentals also), perhaps that would be the best example?

      Siobhan n S

      > Another issue that was brought up was about privately owned horses
      > brought to events. The concern was if there was any danger to the
      people
      > there or the owners of the horses , if an accident happened. That is,
      would
      > anyone that got injured sue the owner of the horse, and were there any

      > waivers being signed to prevent suits under such circumstances.?

      Then another issue is , what happens if someone brings a horse that
      they don't own, and then they let someone else ride the animal? Do we
      need an additional waiver for riders to sign saying they won't sue if
      the horse they brought causes damage? What do other kingdoms do in such
      circumstances??

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • tlwhyte17
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Dianne L Karp <dkarp@j...>
        wrote:
        <snip>
        > Then another issue is , what happens if someone brings a horse
        that
        > they don't own, and then they let someone else ride the animal?
        Do we
        > need an additional waiver for riders to sign saying they won't
        sue if
        > the horse they brought causes damage? What do other kingdoms do
        in such
        > circumstances??

        Wouldn't this be covered and/or determined by the non-owning horse-
        bringer's lease agreement with the horse's owner?
        Maybe the answer is to require proof-of-permission from the horse
        owner that the leasee may allow the horse to be ridden by others.
        However, I'd think lease agreements would *usually* only allow for
        the leasee to use the horse, so this scenario I'd expect to be pretty
        rare.
        May be worth visiting the Equine Legal Solutions link from the Bay
        Area Equestrian Network's website...

        Genevieve
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
          Hello all-
          Aren't *all horses*, rented or private, (that are affiliated with any SCA
          event published in the appropriate newsletter where the equestrian insurance
          rider has been activated) covered by the EQ insurance rider? I'm not
          certain, but why else would we have to SEPARATELY activate the EQ insurance
          for SCA events?

          I think Patricia at SCA Corporate (who handles the insurance activation)
          would be the best one to contact regarding the insurance/liability
          questions.

          In service,
          Marguerite du Royon