Aussie Saddles under $200

  • juliana_of_avon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      Most saddles around $160

      Good sale happening at Libertyville Saddly shop. The saddles look to be in a middle range sizes. (I.e. if you are in the "240lb and under group", fitting a horse with a normal width back). Seat sizes are in english measurement, not western.
      http://www.saddleshop.com/aust/austset.htm

      Good quality Aussies. Not the made in India and ebay tanned with urine type.

      Now you can screw a period looking pommel and cantle on your gaming/jousting saddle and not wince over the damage!

      Happy Shopping!

      ~J
    • Nancy Reimers
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        I keep thinking I need to check out these guys in Turlock.

        They've got a bunch of stuff listed on Craig'slist including several Aussies

        and a modified McClellan.

        Else

        On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM, juliana_of_avon <la3luna@...> wrote:

        Most saddles around $160

        Good sale happening at Libertyville Saddly shop. The saddles look to be in a middle range sizes. (I.e. if you are in the "240lb and under group", fitting a horse with a normal width back). Seat sizes are in english measurement, not western.
        http://www.saddleshop.com/aust/austset.htm

        Good quality Aussies. Not the made in India and ebay tanned with urine type.

        Now you can screw a period looking pommel and cantle on your gaming/jousting saddle and not wince over the damage!

        Happy Shopping!

        ~J

      • jean terry
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009

          Hello Dear Ones,
          I hesitate to speak as I'm very new to this group but hope my words will be taken in the spirit they are intended. I bear absolutely no ill will toward anyone and only have our dear horses health and comfort in my thoughts. This, and the knowing that a great number of the 'behavioral' issues we end up dealing with in our horses can so very often be traced back to pain we are very inadvertently causing them, causes me to have to send this very hopefully unobtrusive post.

          Having ridden more than 50 yrs and fitted saddles for more than 35,  I can't not mention that very few of these 'Australian' (made in India) saddles are wide enough for most American horses and even if the horses they are used on are kind enough not to 'drop' their riders, they are generally inhibited in their way of going and being set up for injured backs and lameness's down the road. The horses part of the saddle (the tree and panels) are easily as important as the seat for the rider.

          Simply put if your horse isn't happy with the saddle you shouldn't be either.
          Finding a properly fitting saddle of whatever kind is seldom easy even with well designed saddles from good saddlers.
          But finding a made in India saddle that is truly comfortable for a horse esp. with a heavy rider playing games is unlikely.
          I have actually seen Indian made Aussie knock offs actually stamped 'made in Australia'. Most if not all of the saddles mentioned from Libertyville are actually made in India with Australian leather so may look and smell better but make sure they fit your horse.
          OK off my soap box,
          jean

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
            Hi Jean,

            No worries! Good advice is rarely taken as "ill will" here (well we hope not anyway!) Most West Kingdom EQ riders are concerned about the comfort of our beasties and we've had many MANY discussions on saddle fit here. Even when artisans come to us with their prototype period saddles we discuss proper saddle fit to the horse's back. There is a whole slew of DQ's onboard to back that up LOL!

            I do have a couple Aussies with really wide trees that fit my flat backed draft porkers. I know you ride that cute Cob so you are well aware of this problem. When buying cheap Aussies I simply ask for a measurement or view of the gullet. So far we've been happy with the fit, even if the craftmanship on the saddle is crap.

            I have had a couple mares who would not tolerate the Aussie, I beleive it was due to the kidney pressure. And in reality ... when I have a horse in (dressage) training or lessons I don't use an Aussie. I use the Kieffer.

            However, with good padding and a proper fit the cheaper Aussies seem to fit the bill for a day on the trails or slinging lances around at an SCA event.

            Cheers!

            Juliana

            --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "jean terry" <riverrockcobs@...> wrote:

            > Hello Dear Ones,
            > I hesitate to speak as I'm very new to this group but hope my words will be taken in the spirit they are intended. I bear absolutely no ill will toward anyone and only have our dear horses health and comfort in my thoughts. This, and the knowing that a great number of the 'behavioral' issues we end up dealing with in our horses can so very often be traced back to pain we are very inadvertently causing them, causes me to have to send this very hopefully unobtrusive post.
            >
            > Having ridden more than 50 yrs and fitted saddles for more than 35, I can't not mention that very few of these 'Australian' (made in India) saddles are wide enough for most American horses and even if the horses they are used on are kind enough not to 'drop' their riders, they are generally inhibited in their way of going and being set up for injured backs and lameness's down the road. The horses part of the saddle (the tree and panels) are easily as important as the seat for the rider.
            >
            > Simply put if your horse isn't happy with the saddle you shouldn't be either.
            > Finding a properly fitting saddle of whatever kind is seldom easy even with well designed saddles from good saddlers.
            > But finding a made in India saddle that is truly comfortable for a horse esp. with a heavy rider playing games is unlikely.
            > I have actually seen Indian made Aussie knock offs actually stamped 'made in Australia'. Most if not all of the saddles mentioned from Libertyville are actually made in India with Australian leather so may look and smell better but make sure they fit your horse.
            > OK off my soap box,
            > jean
            >

            > Most saddles around $160
            >
            > Good sale happening at Libertyville Saddly shop. The saddles look to be in a middle range sizes. (I.e. if you are in the "240lb and under group", fitting a horse with a normal width back). Seat sizes are in english measurement, not western.
            > http://www.saddleshop.com/aust/austset.htm
            >
            > Good quality Aussies. Not the made in India and ebay tanned with urine type.
            >
            > Now you can screw a period looking pommel and cantle on your gaming/jousting saddle and not wince over the damage!
            >
            > Happy Shopping!
            >
            > ~J
            >

            > Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
            > This is not an official SCA email list.

            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > MARKETPLACE
            > Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

          • Elsie
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
              For anyone with an interest in saddle fit, you will find reams and reams of material out there, but one of the best things to do is play with saddles and horse around someone with some base knowledge regarding fit.

              Western Saddle specific...but I find that the following is a nice practical guide to avoiding saddles that don't fit you and/or your horse.

              http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/saddle-fit.html

              Note: Avoiding ill-fitting saddles is compatible but not exactly the same thing as finding the saddle with the perfect fit.

              When it comes to saddle buying I'm a big fan of sitting in the saddle and trying it on a horse whenever possible. And I will always love my Crosby Prix des Nations even if it only fits 1/3 of the horses that I ride - best equitation/jumping saddle ever!

              Else

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                Juliana, Just read your post when I found it attached here to Else's. (Yahoo misses my box at times)
                Thanks so much for allaying my worry!
                I should have realized that the wonderfully welcoming attitude that I have felt so far was no fluke!
                Also, may I say that the SCA, in general, amazes me constantly with it's waay above the norm of kindness and intelligence! And of course  this way of being includes sensitivities to your horses comfort! DUH!

                I feel so fortunate to have found you all.
                Be Well,
                jean

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
                  --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Reimers <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

                  > I keep thinking I need to check out these guys in Turlock.
                  >
                  > http://modesto.craigslist.org/grd/1488861680.html

                  So I ran by today a looked at a few of the things...for those who know Turlock, they are in the industrial park behind Tractor Supply.

                  The Aussie saddles were ok. India made (and tagged as such). Leather quality was a little nicer than I would expect for the price. I sat in one of the black and one of the tan. Aussie saddles continue to not be my cup of tea. Gullet width seemed descent. Shoulder width might be a little tight on a wide draft or draft cross.

                  I liked the modified McClellan. Leather was a bit more supple than the aussies and the wool padding was nice and consistant. I found the seat to be comfortable on the stand. May need to go check it out again.

                  I got a good look at the horse sized russet harness. One of the nicer new harness I've seen at this price. The back pad and breast collar were both nicely padded. The leather was reasonable quality. The bridle and breast collar lacked the semi-rigid form of nicer leather harnesses but beat the hell out of comparebly priced nylon ones. The traces are set up for Roller Bolts which are more common on formal vehicles then anything folks her are likely to drive. Also roller bolts should be used with full collars, not breast collars for preservation of the horse's shooulder purposes. OTOH, the traces could be cheaply and easily modified. I like a wider girth, but again compared to other harnesses of the same price, I wouldn't quibble.

                  I also liked the $15 "wool" saddle blankets. I may need to go back and pick one up.