advancing your marshal status

  • DIANNE KARP
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      It occurred to me that some folks might not know how to advance their
      level and might be a bit shy about asking.

      Whatever level of marshal you may be - a marshal in training through Adv,
      I am hoping that you want to increase your responsibility level. How do
      you do that, you ask? Well, you show up to events and practices and do
      'marshaling stuff'.

      You show the Senior Marshals present that you have a good working
      knowledge of the rules and can apply them appropriately. You understand
      horses - their thinking process, their behavior and their health. You
      know how to determine if a rider is in trouble and needs help. You have
      a good manner when dealing with riders and horses on and off the field -
      esp. when there are problems.

      You know something about how to manage the paperwork involved in running
      an event - the waivers, the reports, the IKEQ scores, etc.

      Whatever your current status, if you think you are ready to bump it up a
      notch, please write to me. Tell me which Sr Marshals have been working
      with you. I will ask them to get together with you and talk about it.
      As they are the ones who know you best, they will be able to tell you if
      there is something they'd like to to focus on.

      Remember, in order to function as a marshal at a practice or event, you
      must have an SCA membership card. This is a Society reg, not mine!!!

      I will not make marshals or increase your status unless you have one. If
      you are a marshal and yours has lapsed, you can only function under the
      supervision of an eq Marshal who is a member (you are temporarily a
      marshal in training again)until you get another membership card.

      Looking forward to hearing from you all!