Horse Expo Report

  • Toni Whyte
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Yesterday (Saturday May 31) Allessandro, Collett, Alys, and I went to
      the Western States Horse Expo at the Cal Expo site in Sacremento. This
      is an annual event, and if you didn't make it this year I strongly
      suggest you make some time for it next year. There were six arenas, with
      talks and demos in each running all day long, tons of shopping, and
      information booths for various breed and activitiy clubs. It was hard to
      pick what to do when. I found the trip really useful if just of the
      "Biomechanics of Being a Better Rider" talk by Donna-Snyder-Smith, which
      helped me identify a problem that I've been having recently so that I
      can now fix it :-) . And I got to sit in a $2,400 saddle which was
      *very nice* (oh well, at least I know what size I am now...) We also
      attend Kaziah's Iberian Sulphur Horse breed demo, where she got to show
      off her stable's beautiful dun stallion (with a bi-colored mane and
      tail--very cool).

      In the evening there was a show in the main arena, which included a
      showing from the Baroque Horse's club--two Fresians, some Andulusians,
      and some Anulusian crosses. I must confess that some of these riders had
      some--how can I put this diplomatically--*interesting interpretations*
      of period costumes; but of course the horses were stunning. Also
      interesting were the number of mustang-type breeds claiming lineage from
      the Spanish conquistador horses, which kinda *do* look like the horses
      one sees in 16th C woodcuts. These breeds included the Iberian Sulphur,
      the Kiger Mesteno, and (I think) the Rocky Mountain Horse.

      Again, if you go next year I'm sure you'll learn something--the seminars
      themselves are worth the price of admission.

      Genevieve