Competition Details was Re: the West Kingdom Equestrian Champion competition

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      Greetings all,

      The Order of the Western Gold Scarf had been giving the task of Competition Design to select the First West Kingdom Equestrian Champion.

      We have thrown ourselves into this task and have developed a format that will allow all West Kingdom Equestrians to come out and show their best stuff. And ideally have a good time at the same time.

      The format is very open with lots of choice. A large part of the overall challenge is for you to show the Kingdom what you can do in the areas of Pageantry, Horsemanship, and Prowess.

      If anyone has questions, please pipe up here or track down one of the Gold Scarves.

      Event Format

      Prelim A - Demo portion. Entrant has 90 seconds to show him/herself and his/her equid(s) to best advantage. To be judged by the horsemanship and pagentry judges. [Where ever judges are mentioned, each individual judge has a single 1-10 score to award. Scores from individual judges will be averaged and weighted - see below]

      Prelim B - Standard Pattern. Entrants are to preform one of a selection of five patterns. To be judged by horsemanship judges. [The patterns will be available on this list and on the event website, probably in the next week or so]

      Prelim C - Gambler's Choice Challenge Course. Top score gets 10 points. 2nd gets 9 points on down. Horsemanship judges to score as well. [Same format as Cynaguan Coronet, for those who were there. If you weren't there and have questions about Gambler's Choice Courses, please let me know. A map of the course, will be available the day of the competition. We will open the course for a course walk after set up. Most equipement needed will be provided. Any equipment you need to provide will be pointed out in advance - such as there will be an optional jump. Wear a helmet if you plan to take it. There will be one to three optional elements that require special authorizations - details will be provide here as I nail stuff down. At this point, one optional element will require a mounted combat authorization and eye and poll protection for your horse, but not armor for yourself. There will be lots of opportunites to garner points even if you don't have special authorizations, but we want to give time a warning for those who would like to get authorized.]

      Prelim Scoring:
      Pageantry - Average of judges' scores from prelim A. Weighted to 25% of total.
      Prowess - Relative placing from prelim C. Weighted to 25%.
      Horsemanship - Average of all the horsemanship scores from A,B, and C. Weighted to 50%

      The top riders (ideally more than two) will be invited to compete in a head to head rings challenge finals to determine the victor.

      There are straightforward ways to do each of these elements - I can explain it to an individual in about 5 minutes, but because each rider/horse combination has different strengths, the answer is going to be subtly different for each of you. If some component scares you, please come talk to me.

      Please note that Arianwen has a great list of teachers and classes during the day to help you tweak your skills, prior to the competition.

      I really do want to encourage everyone to come out and play. We have an excited pair of Royals, a beautiful venue, and a chance to strut our stuff. Lets encourage our friends to get on their horses and play. Lets encourage our other friends to come watch. Let's make this a spectacal.

      You only have one chance to hold, compete in, and watch the innagural event. Lets set the bar really high.

      In enthusiasm,
      THL Else Hunrvogt, OWGS
    • elsederhuhnheiler
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2009
        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Else Hunrvogt" <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

        > Prelim C - Gambler's Choice Challenge Course. Top score gets 10 points. 2nd gets 9 points on down. Horsemanship judges to score as well. [Same format as Cynaguan Coronet, for those who were there. If you weren't there and have questions about Gambler's Choice Courses, please let me know. A map of the course, will be available the day of the competition. We will open the course for a course walk after set up. Most equipement needed will be provided. Any equipment you need to provide will be pointed out in advance - such as there will be an optional jump. Wear a helmet if you plan to take it. There will be one to three optional elements that require special authorizations - details will be provide here as I nail stuff down. At this point, one optional element will require a mounted combat authorization and eye and poll protection for your horse, but not armor for yourself. There will be lots of opportunites to garner points even if you don't have special authorizations, but we want to give time a warning for those who would like to get authorized.]

        Hey guys,

        This question came up again. For the challenge course, most of the equipment you need to complete the course will be provided. There are two exceptions. There will be an optional Jump. You will need to wear a helmet if you plan on attempting it. There will be an optional mounted combat element. You will need a mounted combat authorization and poll and eye protection for your horse if you plan on attempting it. You will not need armor for yourself. A sword will be available on course. All other elements are attemptable with nothing more than a games authorization.

        Sign-ups will be open during the lunch time meeting. Please bring your authorization card.

        Order-of-go will be on a voluntary basis as long as we have volunteers. If we no longer have volunteers the gate steward will call you. If you are sharing a horse, please have one person ready to go early each round. There will be a place to warn the gate steward about tack changes and shared horses on the sign in sheet. If you are doing music (or props or whatever) for the Demo portion, please have ground crew lined up to help you.

        Looking forward to seeing the fruits of all your hard work on Saturday!