Re: WKARE Collegium & Marshal's Report

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2009
      Thanks, Else!  Everything that she said nails it right on the head!

      The only thing more we could ask for is some personal clones to attend all the cool rapier & archery classes, and a few days of sun beforehand so our friends in Caid could get over the Grapevine. :-)  We missed you! But maybe next time...

      The normal 'parking lot' area is actually quite nice when we don't have to park the Kingdom on it, with only a small depression going down one side - and the rains gave it the give that it needed give.  We did have a small puddle of water that makes for fun impromptu leaping and a good excuse to buck if your horse is young. :-)

      So, to be sure I don't forget (though I'm wondering if I miscounted by a horse, cause I thought there were 7 but maybe Helga brought more than I counted? Hmmm....)  And the gate was closed by the time I got over there after breaking down the archery flagging, so I need to get the total number in attendace as well as the EQ waivers. I didn't mean for the constable to take those, but forgot to ask her about it before the end of classes.  Zinaida, did you get them by any chance?

      Equestrian Event Report

      Event: Kingdom Rapier, Archery and EQ Collegium
      Date: March 7 2009
      Total Number in Attendance: approximately 50
      Number of Horses: 7
      Number of Riders/Drivers: 6 (Crystal wasn't a happy pony, unfortunately), no minors
      Type of equestrian activities performed:
      -       Riding on classes
      -       1 Basic riding authorization
      -       Mounted Archery
      -       Archery Marshal Authorizations (Yay Gwen and Zinaida!!)  So what will they have to do to become authorizing archery marshals, so we can really expand this activity? :-)

      Incidents and Response (i.e. unauthorized dismounts, behavior, etc.):
      •       Two ponies were a bit fractious at their trailers, one bent a door, the other got a small cut, but no major issues or corrective actions (stuff happens). No unauthorized dismounts or other incidents.
      •       Waivers were signed at gate, but the slacker EqMiC forgot to get them from the constable so we may not have evidence in the KEO file.  I will endeavor to do better at Mists Coronet, where we are hoping to have activities on the list field....

      In service,
      Marguerite

      On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Else Hunrvogt <nancyreimers@...> wrote:
      Wow!  What a phenomenal day.  The weather was stunning and we had all of the fairgrounds to play in, minus the arena/track.  It was kinda entertaining to see the horses out work on the vast swaths of lawn.  Most of the EQ classes wound up out on the dirt area we generally use for parking at larger events.  It was a lovely, dry, surface with just a hint of give that was covered in short grass.

      All told I think there were 8 horses and about 15-20 Eq predominant types.  It was a nice day to pop back and for and chat with the archers and rapiers fighters during lunch and back out on the field.  Thank you to the Class coordinators for leaving some free time in the schedule so we had the opportunity.  And thanks to Muriel for preparing an amazing lunch.

      Although not a true "EQ only event"  I think the cross-pollination with the other disciplines really added to the event.  The schedule was still open enough to allow teaching/interaction opportunities that we might miss at a larger Crown/Coronet type event.  In many ways it had several of my favorite aspects of Saturdays at May Coronet with more space!  I think having at least one horse only "Equestrium" each year is good, but the joint event aspect maybe a good way hold an addition Equestrian learning/cross pollination day.

      Many, many thanks to our Autocrat and Equestrian Autocrat/Class Coordinator.  You guys did a great job with uncertain weather/footing and pulled off an outstanding event.

      Else

      ------------------------------------

      This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:WestKingdomEQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:WestKingdomEQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Nancy Reimers
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2009
        My best guess on numbers:

        Zanaida/Corwyn: 2 horses
        Gwen/Kemnon: 1 horse
        Helga/Hamish/Judith/Mari: 4 horses
        Else/Kiffiny: 1 very naughty pony

        Support staff and class Auditors:  Morrighan and Daffydd, Ellen and Kristen, Marguerite, Mer Maj (and assorted attendants), Robert, and a sea of faces swimming before my eyes :)

        Re:  becoming Eq Archery Marshals... If I remember correctly, if someone is an Archery Range Marshal and an Eq marshal, they get to be an Mounted Archery Marshal.  I spoke with the Royal Archer at the event (Did I mention that the cross pollination thing was good and convenient?).  Dauid said in order to be an Archery Range Marshal.

        1)  You need to read the target archery rules at  http://westkingdomarchery.com/
        2)  You need to spend about an hour running the a standard combat archery range.  They will have the range open at Crown and I believe Beltane.  My plan is to run the range at one of the smaller events (When I have free time) like Bestwodes Feast in April.  There are also a slew of archery practices on the website above.  I assume one of them would work.
        3)  You need to run through an authorization with a Senior Archery Marshal.

        In order to Authorize MA folk one needs to be an SEqM and an authorized Mounted Archer (Siobhan do you wanting to have our MA marshal too or is having someone else who has that sufficient?)

        So in poking around the archery website, I realized it is a great one stop place for WK archers.  I wonder if we have any stuff on mounted archery that we could convince someone to post.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
          >> If I remember correctly, if someone is an Archery Range Marshal and an Eq marshal, they get to be an Mounted Archery Marshal. <<
          Well, please clarify that, cause unless Siobhan unless you have changed it I thought that one and one do not make two by default unless a current MA Marshal blesses the person to be a new MA Marshal - but I think it would be great to have it happen automatically upon achieving the check mark for each (and it would help with the geographical area thing as well).

          >>In order to Authorize MA folk one needs to be an SEqM and an
          authorized Mounted Archer (Siobhan do you wanting to have our MA marshal too or is having someone else who has that sufficient?)<<
          Yes, what are the requirements to be an authorizing MA Marshal?
          ;-), Marguerite

        • dkarp@hughes.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009

            In order to be a HBA rider, one needs to be auth by someone who is a senior marshal who is also a HBA marshal.

            In order to be a HBA marshal, one needs to have a range marhsal auth and then demonstrate the qualities that Gwen listed a few months ago on this list.  THEN a senior marshal who is also a HBA marshal can make you a HBA marshal.

            In the case of this last weekend, I gave permission for Morrighan and Daffyd to perform authorizations in HBA rider and marshal status as they are our resident 'experts' - this was also their 'test' if you please, for becoming senior marshals themselves.    As the EqMiC who _is_ a senior eq marshal had no issues with the auth they performed, they are now senior marshals.

            Sorry for my mis-statement this am about Julianna doing the HBA auth. - my brain slipped.

            Remember when I asked all of you for input on what was needed to be auth in certain things?  Well, I just put the finishing touches on my list. I will be sending it out in just a bit.  I want ALL of you (esp my marshals) to send me comments about it.  Does it make sense?  Did I forget something?  Is there a serious error?

            Siobhan

            Am I the Siobhan you're looking for?