Re: next eq meeting?

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dkarp@... wrote:

      > Your Chief can not be at A&S in June. She will be learning how to
      fight structure fires.

      Sorry Chief, I forgot.

      > I know that there are many folks reading this list. I know this
      because you all piped up during the lovely Natural Horsemanship
      discussion. Pipe up now - how often would you like to meet? when -
      events or not? A combination? At Equestriums only?
      Teleconferences????

      From the deafening silence, I'm assuming that the rest of the Kingdom
      is all at War.

      The one thing I would like to add to my previously wordy comments on
      the topic it that I would like to see us meet as often as we truly
      need to meet.

      So how often is that? Well I think it depends on why we are having
      meetings...

      1) Social meetings. If that is the case, I think we may need to re-
      evaluate the need. I believe the equestrian meetings started in part
      to develop a sense of community. If that is the case they succeeded,
      we now have 2-3 Eq practices 2-3 Sundays a month during non-rainy
      season.

      2) Rules changes/rules interpretation - I think these are a valuable
      reasons to have meetings and one that I am more than willing to
      travel for. I do think alot of the ground work for these can be done
      on-line, on the phone. I also think we probably only consider rules
      changes/interpretations about once a year.

      3) Planning who is running which events - Well, group meetings are
      good for promotion of events, but I'm not usre we are truly selecting
      EQ autocrats and marshals at group meetings anymore. From where I
      sit, most of that selection process is happening at the regional
      level or separate from meetings.

      I guess the short answer is that if we have a strong agenda, I'm all
      over meeting when/where-ever. If we are meeting because the calendar
      says it is meeting day, I might skip the drive.

      Else
    • Henrik Olsgaard
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2009
        before my most recent stint as KEO ( before Margurite's) Rosewitha had
        been trying to hold meetings at Major Kingdom events with little or no
        attendance ( due to lack of interest or time or ???, it would seem),
        so I held mine at other times and places to prevent event conflicts. I
        believe there are too many distractions at events ( peerage meetings,
        combat activities, personal schedules such as "dinner time", etc.) to
        make meetings something everyone can devote time and attention to. Non
        event meetings are my preference. Week nights gives a broader range of
        times people can meet, however work schedules tend to conflict with
        long driving times since we are spread out geographically. Non event
        weekends seem a reasonable compromise allowing time to travel. If
        conference call meetings are possible, I would opt for two face to
        face alternating with two conference call meetings . If, not three a
        year may work, especially if this site is used as a compliment to the
        meetings contents and discussions.

        As for Margurit's query about pipe corral volunteer work at Ed Livine
        park, I'm willing to help, if dates don't conflict with my schedule.

        That's all from me, as I pass thru Caid today, heading for Estrella.

        Henrik of Havn

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dkarp@... wrote:

        > During our meeting at 12th Night, we did discuss not having meetings
        at events. However, that meeting certainly did not include everyone
        in our eq community. So, I threw it out for general discussion , as
        seems only right.

        > I feel your pain about driving to meetings. 500 miles round trip 4
        times a year for more than 5 years for KHTI board meetings -
        frequently on Sunday - only to have some of them fuss about driving
        ONCE to Reno for a meeting because it was "too far".

        > Sigh.
        > Siobhan "three hours from everywhere" ni Seaghdha
        >

        > Am I the Siobhan you're looking for?
        >

        > On Feb 8, 2009, kknib@... wrote:
        > A the 12th Night meeting, I thought that the consensus was that
        holding meetings at
        > events was going to pull people in too many directions (households,
        consorts, peers,
        > fighting, horses, camping...etc). Did this change? I did have to
        leave early, so maybe this
        > problem was eventually ironed out? Personally, I would rather see
        meetings being
        > something separate from being at an event, as I feel the mindset is
        completely different.
        > Unless we have found a way to streamline the meetings, they also
        tend to take a good bit
        > of time, which if one is at an event, could be problematic
        (especially as most of the EQ
        > events seem to be single day ones).
        >
        > As to geographically where these meetings are held, everyplace you
        mention is a drive for
        > those of us in the Marches. With four meetings, the division was
        easy...two far, and two
        > really far. With three maybe we could do 1 far, 1 sort of far and 1
        really far? Day wise,
        > my personal preference is Sunday, if they are on a Sat, I will need
        to take time off work, so
        > will need a good bit of advance notice.
        >
        > Just my two cents worth...now going back to dealing with the cold
        (AKA the "plague") I've
        > had since 12th Night.
        >
        > In Service
        > Kristin
        > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dkarp@ wrote:
        > >
        > > At 12th Night we discussed having only 3 meetings a year. We also
        discussed having
        > meetings via tele-conference.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have a teleconf line we can use? I can ask about
        using mine - no idea if I
        > will be allowed.
        > >
        > > If we have 3 meetings a year, we could have one at Beltaine.
        > >
        > > Comments?
        > >
        > > Siobhan
        > > Am I the Siobhan you're looking for?
        > >

        > ------------------------------------

        > This is not an official SCA email list.

        > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button
        which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and
        the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

      • dkarp@hughes.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 16, 2009
          I am going to suggest that informal meetings occur regularly at the eq practices. The marshal in charge of the practice will run the meeting and take notes of concerns, ideas, etc.

          Three times a year we will meet formally either in person or on a phone conference. The marshals in charge of the informal meetings will bring items for the formal agenda to me prior to the meeting.

          I think we will get greater input from everyone this way.

          That would place the next meeting in May and the following one in Sept. I am open to feedback as to whether you all would like the May meeting to be at an event - Beltaine, MIsts/Cyn War, Mists Investiture or Cynagua Coronet - or on a teleconf line.

          Siobhan
          chief cat herder

          Am I the Siobhan you're looking for?
        • Lizabeth
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 18, 2009
            I am not in favor of doing an eq meeting during the A&S. We are
            usually burned out from teaching classes, attending classes or
            helping with lunches.

            LZO

            --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Rachael Keish <rachaelo@...>
            wrote:

            > Arts and Sciences would work really well, esp. if we all wanted to
            BBQor