Re: note about Pato

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2008
      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, dkarp@... wrote:

      > Please note that the SCA version of Pato DOES NOT include a live
      duck - in or out of a basket - nor does it permit one rider to try to
      yank the basket away from another rider. It is a much tamer version of
      the game than that!

      > SnS

      Exactly. It is a "buskhazi" style of game that has already been
      adapted to SCA play, which saves some wheel re-invention.

      I tend to think it's interesting that we have a game with a written
      description from 1610 that is credited as being played by the
      indigenious Argentinians as long as there have been horses that closely
      resembles a game played in the Far East. It begs a question. Did the
      game come with the Europeans bringing horses or is it true that if you
      leave bored horsemen alone they will recreate every possible thing you
      can do with horses?

      I tend to believe it is the later.