Gold Scarf and Horses in the SCA

  • Bob Orser
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2008
      As the only other person still around who has been involved, along with
      Duke Henrik, in SCA equestrian activities since about AS III, I would like
      to fully endorse His Grace's sentiments about the value of bringing as much
      horse-related experience as possible into our activities. I also agree
      that the closer these activities come to approximating period methods &
      appearances the better. To try to understand medieval culture without
      understanding the role of the horse would be as absurd as trying to
      understand present culture without motorized vehicles & equipment. We are
      tax-exempt as an educational organization, and educating our members about
      equine matters is clearly within our mission. This can be at many levels,
      from just watching appropriately accoutered riders & horses (as many just
      watch armored combat) to working with & riding horses at many levels of
      skill & commitment. I agree very much with Henrik's decades-long effort to
      get more of the Chivalry "en cheval," whether that just involves riding at
      a walk putting a lance tip through the rings or (foam-tip) jousting at a
      gallop. It should be part of the full experience, not a rigid requirement,
      but a highly recommended goal for a well-rounded current medieval knight.
      But it is a worthwhile goal for every member of our populace. From
      classical times (& earlier) up until quite recently, transport of people
      or goods on land primarily involved horses. (My father, born 1895 in NE
      Utah, never saw a motor vehicle until he was an adult. They were 60 miles
      from a railroad, and horses did everything that autos, trucks, and tractors
      do now.)
      As to the Gold Scarf, I should think it generally appropriate to be
      awarded to members who ride &/or drive horses at a competent level and who
      also work long and hard at making SCA EQ activities happen and be
      accessible to the broad range of the populace. Henrik was, of course, an
      obvious first choice after 40 years of effort. All of the other recipients
      so far seem to exemplify the combination of achievement & purposeful hard
      work, and whether or not this Order is considered a job and not just an
      honor, they are all quite likely to keep at it for the foreseeable future
      - the degree of commitment among the group is pretty obvious. There are
      several more young women (I suspect this order will run as heavily feminine
      as the chivalry runs heavily masculine) out there who probably deserve to
      be included. I would hope that the award would never be given solely for
      expert horsemanship, say to a riding professional who played with us but
      did not contribute substantially to organizing and teaching. (And if
      anyone feels left out by the previous comment, from my perspective at 75,
      all you wonderful EQ women are definitely young.) And you guys are a great
      bunch too, and I'm glad that some of you had the good taste to marry
      devoted horsewomen and thus became riders too.

      - Robert of Dunharrow

      dunharrow@...
    • Else Hunrvogt
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Orser" <dunharrow@...> wrote:
        There are
        > several more young women (I suspect this order will run as heavily
        feminine
        > as the chivalry runs heavily masculine) out there who probably
        deserve to
        > be included.

        The Order would love to have letters of reccomendation to consider. We
        promise to share all letters with the Crown.

        Else
        nancyreimers <at> juno <dot> com