Re: I'm curious about what each of you thinks...

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 14, 2008
      I think Hamish brings up some good points regarding how broad the
      scope of SCA Equestrian is. From conversations with Eilis I believe
      the award is designed to be able to include all ridden/driven aspects
      of SCA Equestrian activities.

      Regarding showcasing skill - Mundane horse skill has a great deal of
      applicablity to SCA Eq activities, but I don't personally believe it
      to be the sum total of what makes an exceptional SCA Horseman. For
      Example the West Kingdom has nationally ranked mundane fencers who
      aren't White Scarves, but who are a good fight. Riding is a bit
      different than combat in that some of the best displays of skill come
      when everything else is falling apart - horses can serve as
      great "opponents" as well as great partners. In some ways riding
      skill progress has a lot in common with arts progress. In the normal
      course of things, if you do things right alot of the improvement will
      happen at home.

      I think one thing I'm hearing is that we have a need for more and
      better venues for riders to display their skills. Is that something
      folks would like to see Gold Scarves working with the Royalty and the
      KEO?

      Else
    • originalzaena
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 5, 2008
        This just in on one of my yahoo equine groups. Thought folks might be
        interested:

        Free to good home –Babe
        – Nice, purebred Percheron mare

        Well after much looking and thanks to Kristi Gates and Gretchen Aitken
        I have found a new pony for my daughter Emma. But that means we need
        to find a nice home for my husband's horse "Babe". The new pony should
        be here for X-mas and I would like to find Babe a new home before the
        pony arrives.

        Babe is a 17. 3hh
        purebred Percheron mare. She is 7 yrs old and goes both English and
        western. She has had a foal in the past. She loves children.

        She is up to date on teeth, shots and feet. She ground ties and cross
        ties. She long lines and is said to pull a wagon. She lunges well at
        the walk and trot.

        She is very light boned and has a lovely head so she would possibly
        make a nice sport horse broodmare.Though she is quiet, she is still
        green under saddle, in my opinion, but was sold to us as a trail
        horse. We have not trail ridden with her. She has been in Professional
        training for the last 4 months. She will now round nicely onto the bit
        and is light in your hand. She is an easy keeper on local grass hay
        only. Sane and sound. No vices .
        She comes with a custom fly sheet and fleece cooler in zebra print of
        course.She cannot stand in mud because of her feathers.

        My main concern is that I find her a good home.

        If you think you might
        be the right home for this lovely mare, or if you know someone who may
        be interested I welcome your e-mail privately at:
        kelly@...
        or by phone at:
        (360) 321-7840.

        That is all.