Re: Coronet Report-Part 2

  • mme_mina
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
      I totaly agree. ;o)
      -Mina

      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "dcamville" <dcamville@e...>
      wrote:
      > And most importantly I want to thank the owners and horses who took
      > on so many riders!
      >
      > Chief, owned by Stephen of Beckenham
      > Freedom, owned by Elina of Beckenham
      > Rocky, owned by Elisabeth de Champagne
      > Hot Stuff, owned by Atoon Pollander
      > Juliette, owned by Ryzza
      > Phoenix, owned by Richard de Camville
      >
      > These owners allowed their horses to be used by others and allowed
      so
      > many to enjoy the experience of working with and riding these fine
      > mounts! Thanks again!
      > >
      > > In Service,
      > >
      > > Viscountess Elisabeth de Champagne
      > > Mists Equestrian Marshal
    • Diane Merrill
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
        I saw so many people having a good time. What a fine group of persons and horses we have. What a great site. Sure had fun hanging out with y'all.
        EQ ROCKS!
        :)
        cheerio,
        miss dee

        dcamville wrote:

         And most importantly I want to thank the owners and horses who took
        on so many riders!

        Chief, owned by Stephen of Beckenham
        Freedom, owned by Elina of Beckenham
        Rocky, owned by Elisabeth de Champagne
        Hot Stuff, owned by Atoon Pollander
        Juliette, owned by Ryzza
        Phoenix, owned by Richard de Camville

        These owners allowed their horses to be used by others and allowed so
        many to enjoy the experience of working with and riding these fine
        mounts! Thanks again!

        > In Service,
        >
        > Viscountess Elisabeth de Champagne
        > Mists Equestrian Marshal

      • dcamville
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
          Greetings!

          Wanted to touch on some of the comments made by Mina which were good
          observations.
          These are strictly MY OPINION and observation of the conditions she
          spoke of.

          Kids and Horses: I agree that there were a number of childern who
          were not accompanied by a parent or guardian and who were ignoring
          the handlers all together. I had to use the "Mean Knight" voice at
          one point to correct some errant childern who were making the horses
          jittery. In our defence we did have guidelines for behavior around
          horses listed in the Gate Flyer that was passed out at Gate, posted
          in the privvies and handed out at EQ signs ups. It clearly stanted
          that Childern must be accompanied by a parent when near the horses.
          It was also stated in the Rights/Resposibilities flyer posted and
          handed out. Not sure what else we could have donat that event. If
          parent choose not to properly attend their children there is little
          we can do but be watchful.

          People Approaching Horses: We saw folks "not know" about how to deal
          with and behave around horses. A ground work class was scheduled but
          was poorly attended. I think this was do to the late start of the
          Lists and the fact that we forgot to have the class "shouted" before
          its start. It was ac ase of "too much to do by too few". This class
          DOES covers the "how to" of it all. In our defence we did have
          guidelines for behavior around horses listed in the gate Flyer that
          was passed out at Gate, posted in the privvies and handed out at EQ
          signs ups. I think that those who handle the horses need to be more
          aware and be more vocal..politley of course...if they see a potential
          unsafe situation. Other than educating the populace at each EQ event,
          Collegium and A&S (which is the current plan) we can only be watchful
          and vocal.

          Horse Storage: At Coronet we used the games area to allow the
          horse "down time" before and after the games. When horses were taking
          a break or retired they were usuallly attenended or tied to a nearby
          try where they could be watched safely. We had access to "hot tape"
          corals that were brought as well. On the flip side...we only had
          three poeple handling the set up of the games area on Friday:
          Elisabeth, Elina and I. By the time the areas were measured out, had
          the gopher holes filled in and everything set up it was dark. If not
          for the few early Saturday volunteers who helped to put the details
          on everything we may have not had such a nice set-up! The down side
          to Bort Meadows (and really the only downside) is that there are not
          many place to tie out your horse. We used large tent stake for "short
          term" tie out and that worked. In the future we can try to create
          a "down time area" but in truth some horse do not play well with
          others. I think (and this in my opinion only) that if you bring your
          horse to an event that does not have "stalls" you will need to
          provide your own enclosure.

          Spectator Areas: The picnic benches at Bort Meadows WERE the
          Spectator Area. Riders and handlers were supposed to be made aware of
          this. Since no one brought a mounting block (as the EQ Marshal had
          asked for in an earlier post) some folks had to use a bench. These
          riders were then escorted to the games area by a handler. This is how
          it went for the day. In regards to the lady in the wheel chair, who
          REALLY enjoyed seeing the horses compete, she was in the SPECTATOR
          AREA. Any "issues" that may have arisen were the resposibility of the
          rider to comply with the standards set for the day. If the
          riders/owners who arrived late didn't check in with the EQMiC when
          they arrived they may have missed this. Best to check in BEFORE you
          unload your horse or bring it to the games area in the future just to
          be sure you know what is going on. Elisabeth has said as much in the
          past. Always best to check in...you never know what "weirdness" may
          arrive at the site before you do!

          As you all know...we are growing and learning as we go. Not
          everything is going to be perfect. If you expect it to be, you will
          end up dissapointed. Sorry but that is the cold hard truth. There is
          a variety of experieince and participation levels from this group..we
          all know that. If you feel you have "experieince" you should "lead"
          and help where you can to make things better. Each event we get the
          system and timing down better. We are seeing more folks from the
          general populace getting "interested". This is great...but it
          presents us with a "challenge of education". We need to make a
          concerted effort to TEACH the populace about being around these noble
          mounts. This means dedicated tracks of classes at Collegium and
          A&S...BASIC CLASSES to be more precise. We would all like to have all
          the cool game gear and staging areas and so on...but right now you
          get what we have. If you want to SUGGEST something be prpared to act
          upon it! Right now we have a small core of "leaders" who are doing a
          great deal of work! Just look at all that has happened in under a
          year! For SCA stuff that is AWESOME!! Bottom line...pitch in and help
          as much as you can when you can.Many hand make the "work" go faster
          and smoother.

          I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks to EVERYONE for their
          suggestions, aboservations and help!

          Cheers!

          RdC
        • Anton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
            It would seem I replied privatly to this post......Sorry about that.
            My question was, are the EQ scores ever posted any where?

            Ryssza

            wrote:
            > Greetings and Good Morning!
            >
            > What a GREAT event!
            > Really nice weather on Saturday.
            >
            > We had ELEVEN horses (including Tiffnay "the mini").
            > We had nine people Authorize including His Majesty COnnor and Their
            > Highnesses of Cynauga, Cybi and Vicotria!
            > Three authorizations were "increases" to a higher level...very cool
            > indeed!
            > We had 12 competiotrs in the games...and a park ranger on a VERY
            > well trained (and expensive) horse! Boy could that horse run!
            >
            > Adavance High Score was made by Anton Pollander on Hot Stuff. He
            had
            > a really good time on the heads.
            > Intermediate High Score was made by Bridget of St. Katherine on
            Rocky.

            > There were no injuries report (which is always a good thing)
            reported
            > about horse or rider.
            >
            > This site was really enjoyed by the horses...green moist grass
            > everywhere. The gopher holes were a little bit of a challenge
            during
            > set up but "have shovel, will fill 'em in"!
            >
            > All in all we had a great time. Thanks to all those who brought
            their
            > horses, who volunteered therie time and efforts and helped to make
            > this event a fun and memorable one!
            >
            > In Service,
            >
            > Viscountess Elisabeth de Champagne
            > Mists Equestrian Marshal
          • Autumn Cardone
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2003
              Educating everyone about proper etiquette around horses is impossible. We can only do our best, and then keep trying.

              From each activity we learn. We learn what would be ideal. Then we learn what is really possible, and how close to (or far from) ideal we can actually make our activities. Maybe someday, we will be able to set up the perfect Eq. area. Until then, we can only try new things and see what can be done (and works) given the resources we have.

              On this note, I have to ask:
              At March Crown, when we set up, we had plenty of help when we set up Saturday morning, and again had enough help for take down immediately after we were finished, Saturday evening. I know that I could help because I was day tripping, and so was there on Saturday. I also noticed that a lot of people who were interested in the activities showed up, and ended up helping set up so that things could start. Also, when I am camping I end up spending all my time on Friday setting up my tent (and any horse facilities to take care of my girls), and then on Sunday, I spend the entire time taking down my encampment. So, I am wondering if we would get more help setting things up and taking them down on Saturday, when more people are around/available/motivated? (By the way, I thought that the setup at Coronet was really great! Even better than any previous setup we have had. We are learning and improving!)

              -- Collett

              dcamville wrote:
[...]

              FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/LmiolB/TM

            • Tobi Beck
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2003
                Yes actually, they get reported to the society equestrian page, I don't have the link at the moment.  But you can look them up there, and the West turns in some fairly good scores, even if you don't notice that the new equestrian program is less than a year old.

                wrote:
                > Greetings and Good Morning!
                >
                > What a GREAT event!
                > Really nice weather on Saturday.
                >
                > We had ELEVEN horses (including Tiffnay "the mini").
                > We had nine people Authorize including His Majesty COnnor and Their
                > Highnesses of Cynauga, Cybi and Vicotria!
                > Three authorizations were "increases" to a higher level...very cool
                > indeed!
                > We had 12 competiotrs in the games...and a park ranger on a VERY
                > well trained (and expensive) horse! Boy could that horse run!
                >
                > Adavance High Score was made by Anton Pollander on Hot Stuff. He
                had
                > a really good time on the heads.
                > Intermediate High Score was made by Bridget of St. Katherine on
                Rocky.

                > There were no injuries report (which is always a good thing)
                reported
                > about horse or rider.
                >
                > This site was really enjoyed by the horses...green moist grass
                > everywhere. The gopher holes were a little bit of a challenge
                during
                > set up but "have shovel, will fill 'em in"!
                >
                > All in all we had a great time. Thanks to all those who brought
                their
                > horses, who volunteered therie time and efforts and helped to make
                > this event a fun and memorable one!
                >
                > In Service,
                >
                > Viscountess Elisabeth de Champagne
                > Mists Equestrian Marshal

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                95817.jpg
                95884.jpg

              • Henrik Olsgaard
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2003
                  Your Excelency,

                  As I have mentioned in previous postings to others, there had been an
                  instance of a todler being softly (luckily!) kicked by a horse at this same
                  site some 20 years ago. The problem then as now was lack of parental
                  supervision coupled by ( as the courts tend to say ) an attractive element
                  ("nuisance" when an injury case goes to litigation). Todlers don't read Gate
                  flyers. Some parents don't either,or they don't pay attention. We have to
                  plan on that and act accordingly!

                  The suggestion of double fencing the enclosure where horses are being kept (
                  especially when unattended by a rider or grounds person) would go a long way
                  to minimise inadvertant contact by unauthorised persons and children.

                  The use of a more remote location such as the area further up the valley
                  that I described yesterday , would remove the horses from the center of the
                  foot trafic pattern and reduce pedestrians getting "under foot" of the
                  horses.

                  As for tying the horses when needed, I saw steel pipe rails with I believe
                  railing seperators in that same area up valey among the bushes
                  last May , before Beltane. The pipe looked a bit rusty but it appeared sound
                  and was obviously intended for horses. If the pipe is still there and sound,
                  it would just require cutting the scrub out to make the facilities usable. I
                  imagine the Park would agree to that since I suspect they havn't done it
                  themselves due to lack of funds to pay for it. A simple phone call to the
                  park could clarify that question.

                  A day or two of volunteer cleanup work by some of us(including myself-I may
                  even be able to throw in a gallon of paint for the rusty pipe , I'll have to
                  see what I can find), should make it useable for all equestrians riding in
                  the park . Then we could use that area and establish somewhat better
                  security for horses and pedestrians at events there.

                  Henrik