Re: A tale of " Hives " or better known as the Hivey Horse ...

  • la3luna
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
      Oh yea ... that just jogged a memory for me. Doi!

      Ocean would get periodic early summertime hives. For two years I could
      not figure out what the cause was. Very frustrating.

      Then I noted that she would get the hives right around the time she was
      attacked by those gnats that bite their bellies/navel and it gets all
      crusty with secretions - ya know what I'm talking about?

      I had her on the vets prescribed RX meds and I scrubbed the crusts off,
      slathered on hydrocortisone and flysprayed the hell out of her daily.
      The site cleared up pretty quick and evidently I won the war with the
      gnats. The hives were not so quick to respond ... it took them another
      week to clear.

      The following year, when it dried up here and the gnats came back she
      got hives again. Not as bad because I check her belly for crusts, and
      sure the heck the gnats were back and chewing on her. And just her for
      some reason. The other horses had some belly crusts, but regular
      flyspray maintenance seemed to be OK for them. Not for Ocean ... she
      was sensitive I guess. <rolls eyes>

      So in her case, hives was some reaction to bug bites. Maybe the gnats
      or maybe the combination of flies and gnats. Either way she developed
      the habit of staying in the barn all day ("holding Court" as we called
      it) where the fly spray system kept the space pest free - she went out
      to forage at night.

      Go figure?

      ~J
    • kknib
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2008
        My Creme gets a crusty spot every year on her belly which is made worse due to an old
        dryland scar (I've heard this called a flystrip). What I've done to keep the flies/gnats off is
        to use Swat. It is the pink sticky stuff that you can use around wounds (comes in clear, but
        that doesn't stick as well). This stuff will stick on the belly, and the only thing that will get
        rid of it is if the horse goes belly down in the dirt, in which case, you have a dirty pink
        spotted horse, or if they kick their belly...then it gets stuck to their hind legs. Yes, the
        "white" horse now has pink spots on her legs, but the belly sore doesn't get bad if I Swat it
        daily. Catty has thankfully never developed hives from this sore.

        My chestnut looked like she had a case of hives, and it ended up that she had rolled in an
        ant-hill!!! Lots of bumps, and would itch to the point of breaking the skin. Mare has done
        this twice now...think she would learn after the first time, though the second time was only
        on one side...horses...sigh

        The ants out here are large, stink and BITE! Our tie trees are currently infested with these
        ants, and we are now trying yet a fourth "trap/bait/kill the nasty things and the queen too"
        in and arond around the trees to get rid of the pests.

        Good luck on finding out about the bumps!

        In Service
        Kristin

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "la3luna" <la3luna@...> wrote:
        >Snip<

        > Then I noted that she would get the hives right around the time she was
        > attacked by those gnats that bite their bellies/navel and it gets all
        > crusty with secretions - ya know what I'm talking about?

        >Snip<
        > ~J

      • Ellen Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
          I've had two horses get hives from flay spray itself, (related..mother
          & son). I found out through trial and error that they were sensitive
          to the oil based sprays. Now I use water based, they don't work as
          well or as long, but I don't have to worry about a reaction>.

          Ellen
          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "la3luna" <la3luna@> wrote:
          > >Snip<
          >
          > > Then I noted that she would get the hives right around the time
          she was
          > > attacked by those gnats that bite their bellies/navel and it gets
          all
          > > crusty with secretions - ya know what I'm talking about?
          >
          > >Snip<
          > > ~J

        • Laura Langford
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
            It's called 'sweet itch' for some incredibly obscure reason. Someday
            I'm going to assemble a list of all the arcane horse disease names
            (bog spavin, sweet itch, thoroughpin, sweeney, founder, ad nauseum...)

            Pauly also gets sweet itch and bashes the hell out of her stomach when
            the flies bit. Swat works, but since she's an indoor/outdoor horse, I
            just put on a flysheet with a belly band (Horseware International
            makes a great one). That way I don't have to slather stuff on her.
            Also, I've found that BetaGen stops the itch.

            Hives? Had those too. You can always empty a bunch of generic Benadryl
            in their feed. Haven't had a problem lately, though.

            LvG

            --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "kknib" <kknib@...> wrote:

            > My Creme gets a crusty spot every year on her belly which is made
            worse due to an old
            > dryland scar (I've heard this called a flystrip). What I've done to
            keep the flies/gnats off is
            > to use Swat. It is the pink sticky stuff that you can use around
            wounds (comes in clear, but
            > that doesn't stick as well). This stuff will stick on the belly,
            and the only thing that will get
            > rid of it is if the horse goes belly down in the dirt, in which
            case, you have a dirty pink
            > spotted horse, or if they kick their belly...then it gets stuck to
            their hind legs. Yes, the
            > "white" horse now has pink spots on her legs, but the belly sore
            doesn't get bad if I Swat it
            > daily. Catty has thankfully never developed hives from this sore.
            >
            > My chestnut looked like she had a case of hives, and it ended up
            that she had rolled in an
            > ant-hill!!! Lots of bumps, and would itch to the point of breaking
            the skin. Mare has done
            > this twice now...think she would learn after the first time, though
            the second time was only
            > on one side...horses...sigh
            >
            > The ants out here are large, stink and BITE! Our tie trees are
            currently infested with these
            > ants, and we are now trying yet a fourth "trap/bait/kill the nasty
            things and the queen too"
            > in and arond around the trees to get rid of the pests.
            >
            > Good luck on finding out about the bumps!
            >
            > In Service
            > Kristin
            >
            > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "la3luna" <la3luna@> wrote:
            > >Snip<
            >
            > > Then I noted that she would get the hives right around the time
            she was
            > > attacked by those gnats that bite their bellies/navel and it gets all
            > > crusty with secretions - ya know what I'm talking about?
            >
            > >Snip<
            > > ~J

          • Corwyn ap Rhys Greyrider (Quorin Borajin)
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
              Don't forget scratches :)

              Laura Langford wrote:

              > It's called 'sweet itch' for some incredibly obscure reason. Someday
              > I'm going to assemble a list of all the arcane horse disease names
              > (bog spavin, sweet itch, thoroughpin, sweeney, founder, ad nauseum...)
              >
              > Pauly also gets sweet itch and bashes the hell out of her stomach when
              > the flies bit. Swat works, but since she's an indoor/outdoor horse, I
              > just put on a flysheet with a belly band (Horseware International
              > makes a great one). That way I don't have to slather stuff on her.
              > Also, I've found that BetaGen stops the itch.
              >
              > Hives? Had those too. You can always empty a bunch of generic Benadryl
              > in their feed. Haven't had a problem lately, though.
              >
              > LvG
              >
              > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:WestKingdomEQ%40yahoogroups.com>, "kknib" <kknib@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > My Creme gets a crusty spot every year on her belly which is made
              > worse due to an old
              > > dryland scar (I've heard this called a flystrip). What I've done to
              > keep the flies/gnats off is
              > > to use Swat. It is the pink sticky stuff that you can use around
              > wounds (comes in clear, but
              > > that doesn't stick as well). This stuff will stick on the belly,
              > and the only thing that will get
              > > rid of it is if the horse goes belly down in the dirt, in which
              > case, you have a dirty pink
              > > spotted horse, or if they kick their belly...then it gets stuck to
              > their hind legs. Yes, the
              > > "white" horse now has pink spots on her legs, but the belly sore
              > doesn't get bad if I Swat it
              > > daily. Catty has thankfully never developed hives from this sore.
              > >
              > > My chestnut looked like she had a case of hives, and it ended up
              > that she had rolled in an
              > > ant-hill!!! Lots of bumps, and would itch to the point of breaking
              > the skin. Mare has done
              > > this twice now...think she would learn after the first time, though
              > the second time was only
              > > on one side...horses...sigh
              > >
              > > The ants out here are large, stink and BITE! Our tie trees are
              > currently infested with these
              > > ants, and we are now trying yet a fourth "trap/bait/kill the nasty
              > things and the queen too"
              > > in and arond around the trees to get rid of the pests.
              > >
              > > Good luck on finding out about the bumps!
              > >
              > > In Service
              > > Kristin
              > >
              > > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:WestKingdomEQ%40yahoogroups.com>, "la3luna" <la3luna@> wrote:
              > > >Snip<
              > >
              > > > Then I noted that she would get the hives right around the time
              > she was
              > > > attacked by those gnats that bite their bellies/navel and it gets all
              > > > crusty with secretions - ya know what I'm talking about?
              > >
              > > >Snip<
              > > > ~J

            • la3luna
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 11, 2008
                Aaahhh sweet itch. I'm sure it tastes like raw sugar. NOT! LOL!

                On another note (Pauly bashing her tummy jarred another memory)...
                Lucas, my Shire loved loved LOVED any belly/sheath scratches. He would
                regularly migrate out onto the brush piles (scrub oak & oak limbs) and
                get to scratching. Snap! Crack! At times we'd be jarred out of bed at
                night as he climbed into the brush* and go to town. Yup ... lip
                wiggling goodness!

                BTW - Luke is still around and doing well. I get an email from his
                owner about 2 times a year. They mostly drive him because "he likes
                that best."

                ~J

                *Cougars tend to tree their kills so we ALWAYS have an ear for tree
                branch snappage on the property. It's amazing how loud it is!

                --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Langford"
                <laura.langford@...> wrote:

                > It's called 'sweet itch' for some incredibly obscure reason. Someday
                > I'm going to assemble a list of all the arcane horse disease names
                > (bog spavin, sweet itch, thoroughpin, sweeney, founder, ad nauseum...)
                <SNIP>