Re: Investiture Question

  • Rachael O'Brien
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2002
      To answer your questions about equestrian activities at Investiture:

      >Is there a minimum age for riders?
      We don't yet have a body of adults in the West who are equestrian
      authorized. So, as far as minors go at Investiture, we will (for now)
      require the parents to authorize before the minors, and have a minimum
      height of 50" to ride at all. If minors are 50" or greater, they will be
      allowed to authorize after their parents, WITH PARENTS IN ATTENDANCE AT ALL
      TIMES.

      When we get a larger number of authorized adults, we may be able to change
      this, but our primary focus is safety at this first event we've had horses
      at in a while.

      >Are there loaner horses available?
      Yes, SCA members from Cynagua and Rosewitha are bringing their personal
      horses, and will allow us to authorize on them. The number of riders able
      to authorize will depend on the horse and the discretion of the owner. If
      you have horses, or know someone that does, PLEASE TRY TO BRING THEM!! We
      are in the process of arranging a temporary paddock now, and owners can
      contact me for details at rachaelo@... or by phone at (408)
      272-2582.

      I will have a sign up sheet that collects information on riders' previous
      experience at the site, and authorizations will occur on a first sign-up,
      first authorized basis depending on the level of experience that the horses
      we have require (if there are very few beginner horses, all interested MAY
      not be able to ride, but we will do our best!)

      >Is there a charge for the loaner horse?
      To my knowledge, no. The horses are not rental horses, so SCA members will
      be letting us authorize on their horses out of the goodness of their hearts.
      I will be talking to the owners about the expense of trailering their
      horses there, and may have a "donations welcome" can if they would like one
      (because horses are usually $30+ an hour to rent at a barn, without
      considering trailering/transportation costs).

      Please let me know if you have any other questions!

      In service,
      Marguerite du Royon