animal evacuation facilities

  • Bob Orser
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      Here in Santa Cruz County there is considerable organization to evacuate
      both large (horses, llamas, alpacas, etc.) and smaller (dogs, cats, etc.)
      animals when wildfires threaten. We have already had 3 major fires (from
      600 to 4500 acres each) in a county that is normally damp enough to not
      have much problem. I have been to 3 different community meetings where
      speakers included local fire chiefs, Cal Fire leaders, and people from the
      volunteer animal rescue group. If the county you live in has such a group,
      you could most likely locate it through your local fire department &/or
      local SPCA or animal shelter. Lots of volunteers with trailers did take
      horses to the county fairgrounds in Watsonville & other safe spots during
      our fires here. I've spent much of the past month clearing grass,
      brambles, coyote brush, poison oak, etc. and removing limbs on trees up to
      8 or 10 feet above ground, as recommended by our local fire professionals.
      The willow, oak, coyote brush, etc. that I cut took about 4 hours to chip,
      with 6 of us dragging it to the chipper which was run by 2 Scotts Valley
      firefighters. (The chipper is jointly owned by a coalition of Santa Cruz
      County fire departments. They are getting a lot more calls for it this
      year than ever before.) Maybe other areas do this too. Ask your local
      fire dept. if you might need this.
      On our 32 acres there are about 15 humans, 2 dogs, 5 cats, 4 boas, and 12
      alpacas. We are 2 miles up a dead-end road, so must prepare to shelter in
      place if the way out is blocked, so I'm trying to increase the defensible
      space around houses, animal pens, and the large pool (which is the
      last-ditch refuge.)
      - Robert of Dunharrow

      dunharrow@...