Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Coordination Issues with Having Horses at Events

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
      From the Seneschal, with more detail on what we need in a Crown site:

> [...]
      >Subject: Re: Coordination Issues with Having Horses at Events
      >Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:22:17 -0800
      >
      >OK, I hear what your saying. Please assist in locating sites suitable for
      >horses that also have the prerequisites for the events being discussed.
      >Currently the June Crown Site fell through.
      >
      >The refresher info is as follows:
      >
      >25 acres +
      > 15 acres for camping
      > 10 acres for parking
      >
      >Suitable flatland for the list field AND the camping around it. (Min. 240'
      >X 280' and this provides a very small list field 100'x150')
      >Roads leading to site that may be trafficked reasonably. (Assume small
      >pickup with 8 foot trailer or standard family sedan)
      >Cost no greater than $5 per head for the weekend or $3500 for the weekend
      >Cost for privies no greater than $100 per
      >
      >No goofy or weird restrictions (ie. All pavillions must display the CA Fire
      >Marshal certification tag, No practicing of Marshal Arts) (Yes I have have
      >seen both)
      >Regional weather suitable at that time of year. (This gets fudged
      >occasionally)
      >
      >Ian the Fariner
      >Kingdom Seneschal
      >
      >Rachael Keish wrote:
      >Hello all-
      >
      >>Just to note, if we want to have horses at events in the future, we'll
      >>need to work hard to contact the autocrats WAY in advance and let them
      >>know that they'll be coming.
      >>
      >>I've cc'd the Kingdom & Principality Seneschals and Kingdom Site
      >>Coordinator on this post, because I'm not sure how best to educate
      >>autocrats that horses should always be added to the list of questions that
      >>are posed at potential event sites.
      >>
      >>The EMiC is responsible for activation the EQ Insurance not more than one
      >>month before the event, but as with the Beltane Site, contracts are often
      >>finalized long before this.
      >>
      >>I am especially bummed that horses can't be on site at Beltane because
      >>I'll be getting my Pelican there, and wanted to process in on horeseback,
      >>but c'est la vie. Better coordination in advance & autocrat education
      >>next time!
      >>
      >>In service,
      >>Marguerite du Royon

      >>STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
      >>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
      >

      >From: "tlwhyte17" <tlwhyte@...>
      >To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Coordination Issues with Having Horses at
      >Events
      >Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:13:32 -0000
      >
      >A post just showed up on SCA West from the Kingdom Seneschal, Ian the
      >Fariner, announcing that the Kingdom is looking for a site for June
      >Crown *right now*. Apparently, the sites that they had been trying for
      >have all fallen through.
      >
      >So now is a really good time to suggest a horse-friendly site, if you
      >know of one that could meet the kingdom's needs.
      >
      >Send suggestions and appropriate info to Ian at

    • Kristin Knell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        Greetings all,
        I would like to become involved in equestrian activities at events.  Currently there is no organization below the Kingdom level in my area (Mariposa), so hopefully there will be events/practices within my driving range.  I've been in the SCA off and on for about 12 years (more "off" lately, though I will be changing that this summer).  I've been riding for about 18 years.  I started off with hunters on the east coast, and since being out here have ridden trail, dressage, some cattle work and some packing.

        I am specifically interested in Eq Marshalling.  I will have my almost 2 year old daughter with me at events, and my husband's work schedule means he will most likely not be attending.  So riding is probably not realistic for me (and bringing my horse definitely not - I never learned to drive the trailer :( .  But I have scads of experience that I'd like to contribute.  I could even teach a class or two given enough warning.

        Could somebody give me some information on how to become an Eq Marshal?
        Thanks,
        Johanna de Bletsho

        (Shameless plug - check out my horse for sale - www.equine.com horse #728374)
      • tlwhyte17
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
          Welcome! Your help will be much appreciated!

          I'm sure you'll get responses from official marshals, but here is my
          understanding of the process to become an EQ marshal.

          You first need to demonstrate to a senior EQ marshal that you can
          control a horse at the canter through a serpintine pattern (i.e. the
          saracen's heads game set up) while holding a boffer.
          This "authorizes" you as an "advanced" rider according to the SCA
          rules.

          Then you have to work/help out with two (possibly 3?) SCA equestrian
          events. Note that each day counts, so if you worked both days at a
          two-day event that counts as 2 events.

          Next you have to demonstrate knowledge of the SCA rules and
          regulations. A multiple choice test has been in the works, but as I
          understand it *currently* you only need to demonstrate your knowledge
          to a senior EQ marshal.

          Finally, you have to be approved by a senior SCA EQ marshal.

          Since I hope to someday become a marshal myself, I hope someone out
          there corrects me if the foregoing is incorrect :-) .

          Genevieve

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Kristin Knell <larken@c...>

        • dkarp@juno.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
            Next you have to demonstrate knowledge of the SCA rules and
            regulations. A multiple choice test has been in the works, but as I
            understand it *currently* you only need to demonstrate your knowledge
            to a senior EQ marshal.

            I am the one with the test - which was carefully put on a disc and carefully "put away safe" (my computer crashed so the hard drive file was lost). I found the disc while moving and know what box it is in - I just have to get floorng down on the back half of my house so I can unearth everything!

            I expect to have the file to everyone for review by the end of May.

            Siobhan

            Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2003
              Hello all-
              OOOps, I mis-typed in my message about getting EQ activities on the radar-
              I meant that the insurance must be activated NO LESS THAN 30 days in advance
              of the event. (Thank you, Katherine, for pointing out my typo!) I talked
              to the Mists seneschal this weekend, and as she arranges all sites for the
              Mists events, she will be checking to see if horses are allowed. I think
              that my post to the Kingdom will also remind future autocrats to add horses
              to the list of things they check on in sites. :-)

              In fact, we as equestrians should consider autocratting more SCA events -
              volunteers are always needed, and they are looking for an autocrat for Mists
              Games (EQ Games, anyone?) now! We should put volunteers where our mouths
              are, as it were....

              >>Here in Caid, we have all our events for the year already on
              >the insurance - including a Queen's Equestrian Championship in
              >December.<<
              Would that we could be so organized - it is my sincere hope that we will
              evolve to that level soon! As our equestrian group is just getting going
              this past year, we tend to plan about two months out to see who will be
              bringing horses to events. We are still trying to put together "stand
              alone" EQ events.

              >>There was a recent posting to the SCA-wide equestrian list from
              >Isolde, the Society Equestrian Officer on insurance instructions. Do
              >you have access to this or would it help to forward it to you?<<
              I would greatly appreciate it of you could forward that to the me/the list.
              I still need to subscribe to the SCA wide EQ list.

              In service,
              Marguerite du Royon