Helmets, not just for jumping anymore...

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
      I know five folks that have been killed or permanently brain damaged
      around horses. Every single one was the result of falling while not
      wearing a helmet. 4 of the 5 were falls on the trail. 4 of the 5 wore
      helmets occasionally, and picked the wrong day not to put one on. 3 of
      the 5 expressed that they probably should be wearing a helmet as they
      left on their ride.

      Please guys - don't make me hear/read that I've lost one of you.

      Else
    • henrikofhavn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 4:22 AM
        You know , I have to admit it, Else, you're right.

        Personally I dislike hats and tend to avoid them on a daily basis, even
        though my scalp is not protected by my thinning hair, these days and I
        should wear hats most of the time when in the sun. I have the same sort
        of attitude for hard hats and crash helmets, both from a - what they
        feel like - perspective as well as a - - I feel silly, or like a sissy,
        or less appealing to others ie. vanity - perspective. As a result I
        tend to not wear them unless forced to do so, or in really unusual
        situations where my concern for my health overides my vanity. But I
        should anyway! For instance, a couple of years ago I rode at Potraro
        War in Caid on a local rental horse and as we were riding at rings, it
        unexpectedly cut left and I corrected and it cut right before I could
        compensate and I ended up landing on the ground, luckily butt first.I
        had no riding helmet on. About 25 years earlier I rode a small skittish
        arab that Duke Andrew of Riga had just dismounted from and told
        me "he's fine". I got on and rode him slowly accross the arena and he
        bucked twice and each time I was launched into the air. The first time
        I landed on the saddle horn, in a painfull posture, the second time I
        landed head and shoulder first in the dirt. The impact stunned me
        momentarily and caused short term amnesia for about half an hour. I
        went to an ER and was examined with no significant injuries detected.
        Five years before that I cantered through a tall grassy field and the
        horse placed it's left rear leg into an 8 inch diameter by 18 inch deep
        fencepost hole and fell to the ground. I was launched over the head and
        landed nose first in the grass. I don't remember falling at all. The
        backs of my hands received minor multiple scratches from ground impact.
        the palms and finger tips were completely undamaged. I do remember
        hearing my friend ask "What happened to you?" and I remember
        replying,"I guess I fell!", as I rode the horse down the driveway of
        it's home , having come in off the rural road out front. I also
        remember untying the bridle's curb rein which was tied around my waste
        while the snaffle rein was still attached to the pelham bridle on the
        horse. I don't remember removing the still secured end of the reins,
        after finding the broken end hanging down to the ground from the bit,
        and tying the rein around my waste to keep from losing it. I don't
        remember getting up from the blood spattered flattened tall grass patch
        where my body landed after the horse tripped and fell in a similar but
        much larger patch of flattened grass about 6 feet behind where my body
        landed. I don't remember the horse getting up from the ground and
        walking through the tall grass making a narrow flattend grass path for
        about 15 feet, nor do I remember getting up myself from the ground and
        walking over to the horse, making another flattened grass track that
        met the one the horse made. I also don't remember mounting the horse
        and riding out of the field to the road and making a new single
        flattened tall grass track from where our two tracks met,out of the
        field to the road and riding on the road around the rural "block" to
        the farm about a mile away where the horse lived. I only remember
        riding down the driveway after getting there.

        I remember going to the ER and being examined and told of superficial
        cuts and scrapes and a broken nasel septum. I remember returning the
        next day and driving to the field and seeing the undesturbed tracks in
        the grassy field as described above.

        I don't remember falling! My neck has never been the same, since!

        It seems I didn't put my hands in front of my face to block my fall. I
        don't know why I didn't. Perhaps I lost conciousness before I hit the
        ground. Perhaps my hands were held back by the reins as I fell. Perhaps
        little green men plucked me out of the saddle and took me away. I don't
        remember! I do remember, I wasn't wearing a Riding helmet! Perhaps I
        should have been.

        Last Estrella, I was trying a private horse to see if it would work for
        me. I rode it slowly in the arena for about 5 minutes, then something
        excited the horse and it reared up very high and then lost it's balance
        and started falling over backwards. I fully expected to land on my back
        on the ground and still remain in the saddle, with the horse on it's
        back on top of me. I didn't think of likely injury to me, I just tried
        to hang on. The horse stopped it's backward movement and instead sat
        down on it's haunches as a result, and then went back forward, to all
        fours and still standing. I wasn't wearing a Riding helmet!

        I know I'm very lucky, to be whole enough to still ride.

        I still don't like the looks of a riding Helmet for SCA use. However,
        I'm convinved I should wear one and so I plan to modify a riding helmet
        to fit inside a more period looking steel helmet, shell, and so be able
        to have better head protection than just a bare head offers.

        It may not be perfect, but it should be better than nothing at all.

        Henrik

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Else Hunrvogt"
        <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

        > I know five folks that have been killed or permanently brain damaged
        > around horses. Every single one was the result of falling while not
        > wearing a helmet. 4 of the 5 were falls on the trail. 4 of the 5
        wore
        > helmets occasionally, and picked the wrong day not to put one on. 3
        of
        > the 5 expressed that they probably should be wearing a helmet as they
        > left on their ride.
        >
        > Please guys - don't make me hear/read that I've lost one of you.
        >
        > Else

      • henrikofhavn
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 4:36 AM
          I forgot to mention a few last things I also remember. I remember on
          the next day, seeing the deep open posthole next to the first track
          entering the field, just before the big flat patch where the horse
          fell, and I remember getting a shovel and filling it up with dirt and
          packing the filled dirt down hard into the hole.

          I also remember not suing the property owner for having an unfenced
          open field next to the road, and tempting me to ride across it
          without permission, and harboring a hidden hazard like a deep post
          hole, that I didn't look for before riding at speed over it. I
          remember not thinking it was the property owner's fault I got hurt. I
          remember thinking it was my own fault for being so careless, causing
          the accident.

          But what I remember the most. I thanked God, my injuries were minor
          and the horse didn't break it's leg, because of my stupidity!

          Henrik

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <henriksd5@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > It may not be perfect, but it should be better than nothing at all.
          >

          > Henrik

          > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Else Hunrvogt"
          > <nancyreimers@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I know five folks that have been killed or permanently brain
          damaged
          > > around horses. Every single one was the result of falling while
          not
          > > wearing a helmet. 4 of the 5 were falls on the trail. 4 of the
          5
          > wore
          > > helmets occasionally, and picked the wrong day not to put one
          on. 3
          > of
          > > the 5 expressed that they probably should be wearing a helmet as
          they
          > > left on their ride.
          > >
          > > Please guys - don't make me hear/read that I've lost one of you.

        • Donna DeBonis
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 11:04 AM
            Greetings from Donwenna,
            I have been wearing a disguised riding helm for Emprise presentation and mounted combat for the past several years. You can see here the modified ones my husband created here: http://joustabout.homestead.com/helms.html
            Originally, the first style was a barrel helm.  The times that Agelos took a header off of a horse, by some miracle he was wearing his modified barrel-style riding helm. One time when he was knocked out (and this was when our calmest horse spooked for no reason and went over backwards with him), he got a mild concussion even though wearing the helm. The ER doctor was mightily impressed with it and said that it was the reason he had no skull fractures or permanent damage.

             I have not in the past  worn  one when competing just for  a challenge course or at SCA practice. However, you can see the newest style of modified SCA riding helm that Agelos  does here:
            I like it best due to great visibility and light weight. There is no reason I don't wear it other than I hadn't worn a helmet as a habit.

            As I got older, I decided to  always wear a regular modern (Troxel) riding helmet  when training my newest young horses (all of which are huge draft & draftX  horses). I was tossed off of my young horse last year onto my butt, but I was really glad I was wearing a helm.  My children ALWAYS have one when they ride. My son, who is now 16 years old, always competes with one in SCA. He grew up with the rule. It is a habit for him.

            After I read about Rhiannon's death when she was  just starting out on a trail ride, I did some thinking and soul searching. That could have been me. There is no reason other than habit that I had not worn my riding helm. I talked to Agelos about Rhiannon, and we made a commitment to ride always from now on wearing our riding helms no matter what type of event, ride, or circumstance. We agreed that we had both been extroidinarily lucky.

            If it is any consolation to Rhiannon's family and friends, there is no doubt that her death will have saved lives.

            Ever in Service,
            THL Donwenna la Mareschale
            Come to Summer Hunt IV--Hunting is the other sport of Kings!
            http://donwenna.homestead.com/SummerHunt.html
[...]