More good news

  • Angela and David Belongie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2008
      So, you guys read my post about riding my filly for the first time a
      couple weeks ago? Well, that experience motivated Dafydd and he
      rode his friesian x filly (3 years old) for the first time Sunday!
      We were working outside all day and she kept yelling at him whenever
      she heard or saw him... he took that to mean "dad! come play with
      me!"

      He really surprised himself I think... he grew up riding hard seat
      western saddles and using snaffles then shanked curbs. He rode
      Freya on Sunday in an english all-purpose saddle without stirrups
      and using a traditional hackamore! It was a fairly short session
      and just at a walk, but she can get pretty sticky feet when confused
      and we managed to keep her from doing that, so success! He was able
      to get her to cross over in front and in back going both directions,
      got good one rein stops and got her responding good to his leg cues
      to move off. It was a good day for them, and they both looked
      pretty proud of themselves! Still a long ways to go, but we are in
      no hurry... serious riding will wait until this summer or next year
      (he intends to teach her to drive and pull a cart this year). But
      it is always nice to have a happy day when all things go well with
      your horses (course I was riding my mare for the first time in
      months that same day and things were not going too well for me...
      ugh, my balance is completely off! Poor mare!).

      Anyway, just wanted to share!
      Morrighan