Demos?

  • Nicole Winovich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2008

      I was wondering if the West Kingdom Equestrian folks ever do a Demonstration?

      On May 17th (this year) the Pregnant Mare Rescue (501c in Aptos) is holding a Fundraiser. My mom is working with the owner to try and put together an event that will draw people to it and help rescued horses at the same time. I was thinking that a Demo of WK Equestrian event(s) would help to draw a larger crowd (Its not everyday that regular people get to see historically accurate medival horses!) and it would also expose more people to the SCA and WK EQ.

      We are still trying to see if it would be a doable thing on the rescue's end (my mom is working that direction) and I wanted to see if 1) it can be a sanctioned event by SCA and 2) if anyone would be interested.

      The tickets are going to cost $20 at the gate (discounted if pre-ordered) and we might be able to put up an arena. It will be somewhere between Aptos and Watsonville for the location (still trying to get the EXACT location).

      PLEASE give me your thoughts/ideas on this!

      YIS,

      Isabella D'Kaine

    • henrikofhavn
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2008
        30 or so years ago we used to do a few demos at outside venues - in
        Oakland at an arena at the top of Redwood road at Skyline, in Sonoma
        County at an arena near Cloverdale, at an arena in Morgan Hill, as I
        recall. These were all at non SCA horseshows, where we were trying to
        interest non SCA members in our activities. I don't know what is
        curently being done, but it would seem possible to do so again as
        long as current requirements are addressed. For official SCA
        activities there would need to be activated the SCA required
        insurance coverage - with the required lead time and cost expenses,
        but if individuals choose to go and participate as private parties
        and not as SCA members, the insurance and lead time issue shouldn't
        apply. The May 17 date is in conflict with the Principality of the
        Mists investiture, where it's new Prince and Princess are to be
        invested in their office and the availability of potential riders for
        a demo at the event you are inquiring about is likely to be somewhat
        reduced as a result. As Mists Equestrian Champion I'll be attending
        Investiture and would be unable to participate. I don't have a horse,
        but if a suitable mount were made available, I could possibly be able
        to participate in a similar circumstance at some other time.

        Henrik of Havn

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Winovich

        ______________

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 9:07 PM
          Thanks for posting Nicole-
          We do indeed do EQ demos, and would loveto do more! The required lead
          time that Duke Henrik mentions is one month minimum to order insurance
          (so you'd need to act in the next 16 days), and it costs $50 to $100
          (the $100 is if the site wants to be named as additionally insured on
          our insurance, and they usually do). I have an allotment set aside in
          the Mists budget for EQ insurance costs either for one additional
          regular practice (if the folks in the North bay and I can work that
          out) or a demo at a time & date TBD in the Mists. Unfortunately the
          conflict with Mists Investiture on 5/17 means that date won't work for
          the Mists.

          But that doesn't mean that another local SCA branch couldn't sponsor
          it, assuming an EQ marshal is available to attend, post the sign, and
          get the waivers signed. Or alternativbely random mundane folks who
          aren't going to attend Investiture but happen to be reading this list
          could go and give a *non-SCA* demo of medieval type activities of
          their choosing.
          :-), Marguerite