the ""dead horse"" story

  • mark murphy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2008
      Background:

      We have a neighbor up the road who was a city boy when he moved out
      here a couple of years ago and knows nothing about horses. One day, he
      drove down the road past our front pasture and saw several of our
      horses snoozing in the sun - flat out on their sides. In a panic,
      Keith goes to another neighbor and says "DIanne's horses are dead, what
      do we do?" "Keith", Gwen says gently, "they are not dead, they are
      sleeping". We tease him all the time now.

      Now the story:

      Every morning (in the mostly dark this time of year), as I leave for
      work, I roll down the car window and say 'hi' - by name - to each horse
      (Connor feeds them about an hour later). Mostly they are either
      hanging out in and around the barn or already out playing/hanging out
      in the pasture. While they often snooze in the mid day winter sun by
      laying down on their sides, they normally are upright when the temp is
      under 20 degrees!

      The other morning, I noticed that the 4 yr old warmblood is laying
      down in the middle of the pasture with her head stretched out. It is
      about 8 degrees outside. I call out to her - no response. I get out
      of the car and call her - ditto. Now I am worried. I go out into the
      pasture calling her name as I walk - no movement.

      Not until I am 3 feet from her does she raise her head and look at me
      - yawning. She wasn't dead - she was sleeping. Soundly, apparently!
      She let me scratch her face while still laying down and yawned again
      before getting up.

      Warmblood indeed!

      Siobhan n S
    • Michael Canfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
        Morning...

        OK, THAT is FUNNY!
        Thanks for sharing this story...great way to start up the week.
        We have pictures of our horses doing the "big doze" like that....too funny.
        Hope everyone is doing well!

        Cheers!

        RdC

        To: westkingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
        CC: sca-equine@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008
          this is what happens after too many people have bought the myth that
          horses ONLY sleep standing up...

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canfield <dcamville@...>
          wrote:

          > Morning...
          >
          > OK, THAT is FUNNY!
          > Thanks for sharing this story...great way to start up the week.
          > We have pictures of our horses doing the "big doze" like that....too
          funny.
          > Hope everyone is doing well!
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > RdC
          >

          > To: westkingdomEQ@...: sca-equine@...: dkarp@...: Mon, 21 Jan 2008
          01:38:53 +0000Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] the ""dead horse"" story

          > Background:We have a neighbor up the road who was a city boy when he
          moved out here a couple of years ago and knows nothing about horses.
          One day, he drove down the road past our front pasture and saw several
          of our horses snoozing in the sun - flat out on their sides. In a
          panic, Keith goes to another neighbor and says "DIanne's horses are
          dead, what do we do?" "Keith", Gwen says gently, "they are not dead,
          they are sleeping". We tease him all the time now.Now the story:Every
          morning (in the mostly dark this time of year), as I leave for work, I
          roll down the car window and say 'hi' - by name - to each horse
          (Connor feeds them about an hour later). Mostly they are either
          hanging out in and around the barn or already out playing/hanging out
          in the pasture. While they often snooze in the mid day winter sun by
          laying down on their sides, they normally are upright when the temp is
          under 20 degrees!The other morning, I noticed that the 4 yr old
          warmblood is laying down in the middle of the pasture with her head
          stretched out. It is about 8 degrees outside. I call out to her - no
          response. I get out of the car and call her - ditto. Now I am worried.
          I go out into the pasture calling her name as I walk - no movement.
          Not until I am 3 feet from her does she raise her head and look at me
          - yawning. She wasn't dead - she was sleeping. Soundly, apparently!
          She let me scratch her face while still laying down and yawned again
          before getting up.Warmblood indeed!Siobhan n S

        • Aurora Komnene
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2008

            You wouldn’t believe how many people would stop and run up to my house to tell me they’d been at the stop light the ENTIRE light cycle and the 2 year colt laying there snoozing had NEVER moved!  (I’m on the corner of a busy street, about 50,000 cars a day….)

            I figured the time the horse was up & down, rolling, kicking, & collicing NO ONE would bother to bang on the door….

            Course, I think the “gift basket” I found on the front porch addressed to the “the beautiful horses” takes the cake.  Only in California…..  Now, if they’d leave a check for those beautiful horses we could talk.

            -        Aurora