RE: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Happy New Year! Equestrium?

  • Alice/Ali/Alison
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
      Captain Scott had previously offered to do a leather (tack) maintenance workshop.  He can't plan too far in advance due to his work, but as March rolls around I'll see if he's still willing and interested..

      - Ali

       On Monday, December 31, 2007 1:37 PM  Else wrote:

      Zaid is autocratting and it will be in Galt at the barn their daughter rides at. I understand there is an indoor arena and room for archery. I know Zaid is looking for teachers and will certainly take volunteers (I don't think he is on this list, though).

      Else

      .

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Else Hunrvogt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Arianwen ferch Morgan"
        <jessimare@...> wrote:

        > Hello all...
        >
        > I am helping Zaid as a faithful "daughter" and we are indeed
        > currently looking for volunteers to teach, as well as ideas for
        > classes. We are hoping that Else will volunteer a driving class, as
        > that is always really fun...

        Yes, I will teach Hitching and Harnessing (which is the first thing
        tested in a driving authorization). If the red mare is in a suitable
        frame of mind (the class may very well blow through her limited store
        of "patience" and "stand"), she will be available for basic driving
        lessons or "Mounted" archery as well.

        Else
      • Laura Langford
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          hi all, looking forward to seeing many of you next weekend at 12th
          Night!

          i'm up for whatever! competition is great, hanging out is great,
          trail riding is great, being all dressed up is great!

          it might be good to have some sort of form or sign-up sheet pre-event
          to determine who wants to do what, compete or hang out and play.
          neither one needs to be promoted higher than the other, but both need
          to be promoted! although i do think the play part needs to be
          emphasized for those who are still getting used to taking 'the kids'
          out to events and dealing with all the hoo-hah that goes with
          bringing large animals to new and exciting environments. this is
          probably the BIGGEST concern, IMHO. once that big hurdle has been
          accomplished, the EQ folks can decide whether they want to do
          competition events or stage an exhibition for the populace. not an
          either/or per event; more like, 'do you want to put on a show?' both
          can be done, depending on interest.

          what i'm describing above does involve a certain level of pre-
          planning. the only thing that limits my time is my mundane show
          schedule, but i can certainly help with planning things, even if we
          can't get to every 2008 event.

          i also think getting the heralds involved would be a good idea; if we
          keep to a schedule, the heralds can announce when
          events/exhibitions/scheduled trail rides or other fun events will be
          starting. heck, we have announcers on PA systems for this kind of
          stuff at mundane horse shows; might as well let the populace know
          just in case they want to take a look...

          yis,

          Laurentia von Graustein (LvG)

          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canfield
          <dcamville@...> wrote:

          > Happy New Year west Kingdom Equestrians!
          >
          > We're almost ready to finish the chapter of our lives known as
          2007 and will soon be off on another adventure. Elisabeth and i
          wanted to wish ALL of you a very joyful New Year's Eve...however you
          choose to celebrate! Elisabeth and I hope that the New Year brings
          joy, peace, prosperity and laughter to each of you and that you get
          closer your achieving your goals and aspirations in 2008! There have
          been sme GREAT EQ events in 2007! There have been some new riders
          owners and horses that have joined us over the last 12 months. It has
          been an exciting time filled with learning, challenges and successes.
          It is truely a blessing and a joy that we continue to grow and thrive
          as we have been doing throughout the year. We look forward to sme
          great events with all of you in 2008! 12th Night gives us, a a group,
          the opportunity to exchange our experiences, our knwledge and our joy
          of the rquestrian art face to face. We'll have and extremey cool
          dispaly and auction to be sure. Should be a great time!

          > As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is an
          Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one
          because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it?
          What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that
          we ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have
          any information on this event?

          > Anyway...hope folks get a chance to work with their horses this
          season! I know that we Sierra Foothill folks have had to deal with
          lots of wet, cold , foggy and snowy days! Ride when you can! Happy
          New Year Everyone! RdC

        • Michael Canfield
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
            Morning All...

            So far there have been some great discussions! Thanks!
            I've reread my original post...wanted to be sure I was clear about the CONCEPT of the event along with my hopes of what the post would generate. Interesting how folks put spins on things (grin).

            I, for one, belive that any EQ event within SCA context should appeal to the MAJORITY of the EQ enthusiasts for it to be well attended and successful. I also feel that if YOU the members want to see something done at an EQ event you should step up and make it happen. I'd love to see something like a Carousel done at an event...but I know VERY LITTLE about it (except that they look cool), so I would not be the one stepping up to lead such a thing (it would be an ugly sight I am sure) BUT I KNOW we have folks who DO know how that shold be done. If those stalwart souls REALLY want it to happen they need to step up and ORGANIZE it.
            As you all know event do not just "magically happen". They take great effort, time, marketing and planning.

            As was stated the CONCEPT of the "event" is to combine activities, classes and demonstrations. YOU the membership can DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS by chiming in here, expressing your thoughts on what you would like to see and letting folks know you are interested in attending. Hence the call for discussion. The idea of a pre-registration sign up is great! This would allow folks to chose from a menu of activities and allows the event autocrats to scult the day to the wishes of the members. Also, as was stated IF folks REALLY could get behind a CoNcEPT lik this I am sure it could happen in 2009! Not this year but NEXT year. Think of La Prova Dura. Great event but not an annual one. This allows for folks to prepare, train, create and save money to attend. My "hope" with this conceptual event is that it can become a reality. For that to happen YOU, the members need to be vocal and active, participate in the preliminary discussion and when/if it gets to the planning stage YOU the members volunteer to help out and ATTEND the event!

            OK folks...I know 12tf Night is just around the corner and most of us will be there. lets share ideas and thought and general merriment! If the West Kingdom Equestrians wish to get behind the concept I'll do what i can to make it happen. If not...well...it was a good discussion that hopefully will inspire folks!

            Cheers!

            RdC

            To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
            From: laura.langford@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 05:16:32 +0000
            Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Happy New Year! Equestrium?

            <dcamville@. ..> wrote:

            > Happy New Year west Kingdom Equestrians!
            >
            > We're almost ready to finish the chapter of our lives known as
            2007 and will soon be off on another adventure. Elisabeth and i
            wanted to wish ALL of you a very joyful New Year's Eve...however you
            choose to celebrate! Elisabeth and I hope that the New Year brings
            joy, peace, prosperity and laughter to each of you and that you get
            closer your achieving your goals and aspirations in 2008! There have
            been sme GREAT EQ events in 2007! There have been some new riders
            owners and horses that have joined us over the last 12 months. It has
            been an exciting time filled with learning, challenges and successes.
            It is truely a blessing and a joy that we continue to grow and thrive
            as we have been doing throughout the year. We look forward to sme
            great events with all of you in 2008! 12th Night gives us, a a group,
            the opportunity to exchange our experiences, our knwledge and our joy
            of the rquestrian art face to face. We'll have and extremey cool
            dispaly and auction to be sure. Should be a great time!

            > As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is an
            Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one
            because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it?
            What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that
            we ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have
            any information on this event?

            > Anyway...hope folks get a chance to work with their horses this
            season! I know that we Sierra Foothill folks have had to deal with
            lots of wet, cold , foggy and snowy days! Ride when you can! Happy
            New Year Everyone! RdC

          • la3luna
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008

              I believe that we have enough talent in this group to pull off just
              about anything we desire. For 2008 I find myself in the "support role" -
              and I'd like to help those who want to renew our old standards or
              create a new concept.

              I will attempt to touch base with many of you at 12th Night and chat
              about ideas.

              YIS,

              Juliana
            • Else Hunrvogt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                <dcamville@...> wrote:

                As you all know event do not just "magically happen". They take great
                effort, time, marketing and planning. As was stated the CONCEPT of
                the "event" is to combine activities, classes and demonstrations. YOU
                the membership can DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS by chiming in here, expressing
                your thoughts on what you would like to see and letting folks know
                you are interested in attending. Hence the call for discussion. The
                idea of a pre-registration sign up is great! This would allow folks
                to chose from a menu of activities and allows the event autocrats to
                scult the day to the wishes of the members. Also, as was stated IF
                folks REALLY could get behind a CoNcEPT lik this I am sure it could
                happen in 2009! Not this year but NEXT year. Think of La Prova Dura.
                Great event but not an annual one.

                A couple of thoughts on organizing a destination event.

                1) Advanced planning is great - Prova takes about 18 months of work
                at the local level.

                2) A clear concept is important. Figuring out your concept now will
                help.

                3) A lot of things are easiest with management on the local level
                augmented by assistance across the Kingdom. Canale couldn't put on
                Prova without help from individuals across Kingdom. On the other
                hand, the stability of officers and individuals is better at the
                local level. Also sometimes it is easier to "think outside the box
                at the local level (see point 4).

                4) Fundraise - One of the things that works well for Prova is I have
                never heard "we don't have enough money for that". We figure out
                what implementing an idea is going to cost and then set about finding
                the money. We get some supplies (and a lot of labor) donated, but we
                fundraise alot over a long time period (see point 1).

                5) KISS - For this I am talking about at an activity level. Plan 2-
                3 strong activities and then go wild accessorizing those activities
                with cool details (banners, fences, staff, heralds, whatever).

                6) Once your concept is developed, stay true to it.

                7) Promote generally through a website and emails as well as through
                personal invitations to the event. Be careful of overpromoting at
                the general level. Shilling is good. SPAM is bad. It's a fine
                line.

                8) If you build it they will come. Remember it make take more than
                one year (Della Spada is a great example).

                Enough blathering for now,