Fwd: Jousting Tournament at Estrella War 2008

  • Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In SCA-Jousting@yahoogroups.com, DarkHorseKeep
      <darkhorsekeep@...> wrote:

      Saturday, , February 16th 3:00 PM – Jousting Tournament

      Kingdom of the Outland and The Shire of Nahrun Kabirun will be
      hosting the first ever Estrella War Jousting Tournament on Saturday
      at 3:00pm. Horses and Riders will come from far off lands to
      participate in this historical tournament. Come feel the ground shake
      as these mighty warriors charge down the field for honor and glory.

      Details of Competition: Those who wish to compete for these honors
      must possess Letters of Venancy detailing their eligibility to
      compete in the lists. These letters may be on paper, parchment,
      leather, wood, or stone and should provide your Society name, any
      titles you may have, and any other information about your lineage,
      accomplishments, and/or quests you wish to proclaim. These may be as
      creative as you wish.

      A Letter of Venancy: Historically an application to be allowed in
      the tourney but functionally a letter stating that you intend to
      participate.
      Example: http://www.gweep.net/~trish/sca/horses/venancy/

      Tournament: The Jousting will be conducted as a resurrection style
      tournament with three runs per pairing. One point for contact, two
      for broken tip. At the end of the three passes, the rider with the
      most points wins the round. The riders will be aloud to enter as many
      pairings as they wish.
      It is strongly suggested riders retain the services of a personal
      herald for the tournament. Heralds will be judged on their
      performance during the tournament. (Think 'A Knights Tale')

      Awards: The awards the riders will be competing for- Kings
      Favorite, Queens Favorite, Most Chivalrous, Best Overall Display,
      Most Period, and Crowd Favorite. And last but not least Best Herald.

      For more information or questions please contact:
      Lady Isabol de Chateau Cheval Noire KEO-Outlands
      (Equestrian Marshal Outlands & Ansteorra)
      DarkHorseKeep@ yahoo.com
      Heather Vernon
      Cell: 361-947-4544
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Michael Canfield
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
        Happy New Year west Kingdom Equestrians!

         We're almost ready to finish the chapter of our lives known as 2007 and will soon be off on another adventure. Elisabeth and i wanted to wish ALL of you a very joyful New Year's Eve...however you choose to celebrate! Elisabeth and I hope that the New Year brings joy, peace, prosperity and laughter to each of you and that you get closer your achieving your goals and aspirations in 2008! There have been sme GREAT EQ events in 2007! There have been some new riders owners and horses that have joined us over the last 12 months. It has been an exciting time filled with learning, challenges and successes. It is truely a blessing and a joy that we continue to grow and thrive as we have been doing throughout the year. We look forward to sme great events with all of you in 2008! 12th Night gives us, a a group, the opportunity to exchange our experiences, our knwledge and our joy of the rquestrian art face to face. We'll have and extremey cool dispaly and auction to be sure. Should be a great time!

        As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is an Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it? What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that we ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have any information on this event?

        Anyway...hope folks get a chance to work with their horses this season! I know that we Sierra Foothill folks have had to deal with lots of wet, cold , foggy and snowy days! Ride when you can!

        Happy New Year Everyone!

        RdC

      • Else Hunrvogt
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
          --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canfield <dcamville@...>
          wrote:

          > As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is an
          Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one
          because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it?
          What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that we
          ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have any
          information on this event?

          Zaid is autocratting and it will be in Galt at the barn their daughter
          rides at. I understand there is an indoor arena and room for archery.
          I know Zaid is looking for teachers and will certainly take volunteers
          (I don't think he is on this list, though).

          Else
        • Arianwen ferch Morgan
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
            Hello all...

            I am helping Zaid as a faithful "daughter" and we are indeed
            currently looking for volunteers to teach, as well as ideas for
            classes. We are hoping that Else will volunteer a driving class, as
            that is always really fun... I am considering a Round Pen Reasoning
            class if anyone is interested, and I believe we are hoping for
            another archery demo/class. I'd like to put together a basic Horse
            101 class to start off, and some things for the people that show up
            horseless. Any ideas or volunteers are MUCH appreciated, as this is
            House Dark Horse's first EQ autocrat experience.

            Thanks!

            Arianwen

            --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Else Hunrvogt"
            <nancyreimers@...> wrote:

            > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Michael Canfield <dcamville@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is
            an
            > Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one
            > because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it?
            > What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that
            we
            > ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have
            any
            > information on this event?
            >
            > Zaid is autocratting and it will be in Galt at the barn their
            daughter
            > rides at. I understand there is an indoor arena and room for
            archery.
            > I know Zaid is looking for teachers and will certainly take
            volunteers
            > (I don't think he is on this list, though).
            >
            > Else

          • Alice/Ali/Alison
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
              Captain Scott had previously offered to do a leather (tack) maintenance workshop.  He can't plan too far in advance due to his work, but as March rolls around I'll see if he's still willing and interested..

              - Ali

               On Monday, December 31, 2007 1:37 PM  Else wrote:

              Zaid is autocratting and it will be in Galt at the barn their daughter rides at. I understand there is an indoor arena and room for archery. I know Zaid is looking for teachers and will certainly take volunteers (I don't think he is on this list, though).

              Else

              .

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • Else Hunrvogt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Arianwen ferch Morgan"
                <jessimare@...> wrote:

                > Hello all...
                >
                > I am helping Zaid as a faithful "daughter" and we are indeed
                > currently looking for volunteers to teach, as well as ideas for
                > classes. We are hoping that Else will volunteer a driving class, as
                > that is always really fun...

                Yes, I will teach Hitching and Harnessing (which is the first thing
                tested in a driving authorization). If the red mare is in a suitable
                frame of mind (the class may very well blow through her limited store
                of "patience" and "stand"), she will be available for basic driving
                lessons or "Mounted" archery as well.

                Else
              • Laura Langford
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                  hi all, looking forward to seeing many of you next weekend at 12th
                  Night!

                  i'm up for whatever! competition is great, hanging out is great,
                  trail riding is great, being all dressed up is great!

                  it might be good to have some sort of form or sign-up sheet pre-event
                  to determine who wants to do what, compete or hang out and play.
                  neither one needs to be promoted higher than the other, but both need
                  to be promoted! although i do think the play part needs to be
                  emphasized for those who are still getting used to taking 'the kids'
                  out to events and dealing with all the hoo-hah that goes with
                  bringing large animals to new and exciting environments. this is
                  probably the BIGGEST concern, IMHO. once that big hurdle has been
                  accomplished, the EQ folks can decide whether they want to do
                  competition events or stage an exhibition for the populace. not an
                  either/or per event; more like, 'do you want to put on a show?' both
                  can be done, depending on interest.

                  what i'm describing above does involve a certain level of pre-
                  planning. the only thing that limits my time is my mundane show
                  schedule, but i can certainly help with planning things, even if we
                  can't get to every 2008 event.

                  i also think getting the heralds involved would be a good idea; if we
                  keep to a schedule, the heralds can announce when
                  events/exhibitions/scheduled trail rides or other fun events will be
                  starting. heck, we have announcers on PA systems for this kind of
                  stuff at mundane horse shows; might as well let the populace know
                  just in case they want to take a look...

                  yis,

                  Laurentia von Graustein (LvG)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Morning All...

                    So far there have been some great discussions! Thanks!
                    I've reread my original post...wanted to be sure I was clear about the CONCEPT of the event along with my hopes of what the post would generate. Interesting how folks put spins on things (grin).

                    I, for one, belive that any EQ event within SCA context should appeal to the MAJORITY of the EQ enthusiasts for it to be well attended and successful. I also feel that if YOU the members want to see something done at an EQ event you should step up and make it happen. I'd love to see something like a Carousel done at an event...but I know VERY LITTLE about it (except that they look cool), so I would not be the one stepping up to lead such a thing (it would be an ugly sight I am sure) BUT I KNOW we have folks who DO know how that shold be done. If those stalwart souls REALLY want it to happen they need to step up and ORGANIZE it.
                    As you all know event do not just "magically happen". They take great effort, time, marketing and planning.

                    As was stated the CONCEPT of the "event" is to combine activities, classes and demonstrations. YOU the membership can DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS by chiming in here, expressing your thoughts on what you would like to see and letting folks know you are interested in attending. Hence the call for discussion. The idea of a pre-registration sign up is great! This would allow folks to chose from a menu of activities and allows the event autocrats to scult the day to the wishes of the members. Also, as was stated IF folks REALLY could get behind a CoNcEPT lik this I am sure it could happen in 2009! Not this year but NEXT year. Think of La Prova Dura. Great event but not an annual one. This allows for folks to prepare, train, create and save money to attend. My "hope" with this conceptual event is that it can become a reality. For that to happen YOU, the members need to be vocal and active, participate in the preliminary discussion and when/if it gets to the planning stage YOU the members volunteer to help out and ATTEND the event!

                    OK folks...I know 12tf Night is just around the corner and most of us will be there. lets share ideas and thought and general merriment! If the West Kingdom Equestrians wish to get behind the concept I'll do what i can to make it happen. If not...well...it was a good discussion that hopefully will inspire folks!

                    Cheers!

                    RdC

                    To: WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com
                    From: laura.langford@...
                    Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 05:16:32 +0000
                    Subject: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Happy New Year! Equestrium?

                    <dcamville@. ..> wrote:

                    > Happy New Year west Kingdom Equestrians!
                    >
                    > We're almost ready to finish the chapter of our lives known as
                    2007 and will soon be off on another adventure. Elisabeth and i
                    wanted to wish ALL of you a very joyful New Year's Eve...however you
                    choose to celebrate! Elisabeth and I hope that the New Year brings
                    joy, peace, prosperity and laughter to each of you and that you get
                    closer your achieving your goals and aspirations in 2008! There have
                    been sme GREAT EQ events in 2007! There have been some new riders
                    owners and horses that have joined us over the last 12 months. It has
                    been an exciting time filled with learning, challenges and successes.
                    It is truely a blessing and a joy that we continue to grow and thrive
                    as we have been doing throughout the year. We look forward to sme
                    great events with all of you in 2008! 12th Night gives us, a a group,
                    the opportunity to exchange our experiences, our knwledge and our joy
                    of the rquestrian art face to face. We'll have and extremey cool
                    dispaly and auction to be sure. Should be a great time!

                    > As we look forward to 2008 ELisabeth and I noticed that there is an
                    Equestrium slated for March. Must have missed the memo on this one
                    because I can't seem to find any information about it. Where is it?
                    What is planned and so forth? hi could be due to some PC issue that
                    we ha a short time ago. Things may just have gotten lost. Do we have
                    any information on this event?

                    > Anyway...hope folks get a chance to work with their horses this
                    season! I know that we Sierra Foothill folks have had to deal with
                    lots of wet, cold , foggy and snowy days! Ride when you can! Happy
                    New Year Everyone! RdC

                  • la3luna
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008

                      I believe that we have enough talent in this group to pull off just
                      about anything we desire. For 2008 I find myself in the "support role" -
                      and I'd like to help those who want to renew our old standards or
                      create a new concept.

                      I will attempt to touch base with many of you at 12th Night and chat
                      about ideas.

                      YIS,

                      Juliana
                    • Else Hunrvogt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                        <dcamville@...> wrote:

                        As you all know event do not just "magically happen". They take great
                        effort, time, marketing and planning. As was stated the CONCEPT of
                        the "event" is to combine activities, classes and demonstrations. YOU
                        the membership can DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS by chiming in here, expressing
                        your thoughts on what you would like to see and letting folks know
                        you are interested in attending. Hence the call for discussion. The
                        idea of a pre-registration sign up is great! This would allow folks
                        to chose from a menu of activities and allows the event autocrats to
                        scult the day to the wishes of the members. Also, as was stated IF
                        folks REALLY could get behind a CoNcEPT lik this I am sure it could
                        happen in 2009! Not this year but NEXT year. Think of La Prova Dura.
                        Great event but not an annual one.

                        A couple of thoughts on organizing a destination event.

                        1) Advanced planning is great - Prova takes about 18 months of work
                        at the local level.

                        2) A clear concept is important. Figuring out your concept now will
                        help.

                        3) A lot of things are easiest with management on the local level
                        augmented by assistance across the Kingdom. Canale couldn't put on
                        Prova without help from individuals across Kingdom. On the other
                        hand, the stability of officers and individuals is better at the
                        local level. Also sometimes it is easier to "think outside the box
                        at the local level (see point 4).

                        4) Fundraise - One of the things that works well for Prova is I have
                        never heard "we don't have enough money for that". We figure out
                        what implementing an idea is going to cost and then set about finding
                        the money. We get some supplies (and a lot of labor) donated, but we
                        fundraise alot over a long time period (see point 1).

                        5) KISS - For this I am talking about at an activity level. Plan 2-
                        3 strong activities and then go wild accessorizing those activities
                        with cool details (banners, fences, staff, heralds, whatever).

                        6) Once your concept is developed, stay true to it.

                        7) Promote generally through a website and emails as well as through
                        personal invitations to the event. Be careful of overpromoting at
                        the general level. Shilling is good. SPAM is bad. It's a fine
                        line.

                        8) If you build it they will come. Remember it make take more than
                        one year (Della Spada is a great example).

                        Enough blathering for now,