Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Posted on the West List today.

  • Rachael O'Brien
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 2:25 PM
      Hmm, interesting. As a future horse owner (someday), I see her point about
      kids wanting pony rides and adults wanting pictures- not the most fun for
      the equestrian at an event. However, I disagree that this indicates there
      is no room for horses in the West.

      Perhaps if those gentles who indicate interest in equestrian were educated
      and encouraged, rather than being shunned, they would seek out more
      knowledge, and hopefully begin to ride themselves. Then equestrian would be
      self sustaining in the West. (I would think this was the goal of any
      Kingdom Equestrian officer, but maybe I'm wrong there!) Then when a horse
      owner wants to bring a horse to an event, it would be a regular occurance,
      and the populace could be educated about the rudeness of requesting a pony
      ride, or approaching someone's horse without their consent.

      Yes, there will of course be an initial effort to bring equestrian back- or
      establish it in the first place! But the "herculean" effort that she refers
      to is an overstatement- having an equestrian event at a barn that rents
      horses, consisting of an hour of horse education (tacking up, safety,
      control) followed by beginning, intermediate, and advanced authorization is
      NOT herculean. It seems like a pretty straightforward day event as far as
      these things go, and I'd like to organize one for later on this year, or
      early next year after I find a few prospective local barns.

      The site fee would be high, because it costs alot to rent horses by the
      hour, but thats the price us interested horse lovers (who don't own horses)
      have to pay. If only a few people come, well, some equestrian in the West
      is better than none. After a first event, real equestrian games could be
      held- maybe at the same barn- with a "track" for those who were authorized
      and a "track" for those who were not and needed to be authorized (in
      parallel)- like at Collegiums.

      By the way, I asked Duchess Elina about our authorization cards this weekend
      at March Crown, and she said she's having them made! I'll keep in touch
      with her about them. I'll have to check the Equestrian/Marshallate rules,
      but after a (some number) of equestrian games, those of us who are
      authorized can authorize others, who may authorize others....and on, and on!

      :-), Marguerite du Royon
      (Rachael)