As We Move Forward... (kinda long)

  • Michael Canfield
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
      Greetings All...

      Been doing some thinking about our progress as a group and all the work that
      has been done in a real short period of time (by SCA standards that is). The
      new rules, the number of equestrian events, the various activities and
      experiments, the growth of the WK EQ College...all of it has been pretty
      amazing. It was not that long ago when just a few of us were sitting on a
      picnic bench at our old ranch figuring out how we can make this work and get
      other folks interested! Sometimes you just have to stand back and see the
      "big picture" and take a little time to feel proud that all of us had
      something to do with the creation and care of the equestrian arts in our
      fair Kingdom. It is K to pat one another n the back and say "good job" with
      a smile. Go ahead...you earned it (grin).

      As we move forward we, as a group, will most likely develop specialized
      sub-groups....those folks interested in doing a specific type of thing. This
      is GOOD for ALL of us! It would be great to have foks who really understand
      the creation of period tack/saddle styles and could teach/inspire the rest
      of us! It would be good to have folks who like the "pageant" of kit and
      horse garb along with the fine equitation skills we don't get to see when
      smacking foam balls off of PVC pipe...and could teach/inspire the rest of
      us! It would be good to have folks taking our competitive skills to a new
      and higher level so that we, as a Kingdom can shine in the games...and could
      teach/inspire the rest of us! I bet you see where this is going, right? If
      YOU have an interest, a passion if you will, to explore and develop an area
      of the equestrian arts DO IT...please...take the lead and let other know you
      are doing it. Yes, being the "leader" is not always an easy thing. You have
      to keep in mind the "middle ground" and that while you may be really
      passionate about a thing, other may only be moderately interested and will
      take the "middle path" to learn what you are so passionate about. Trust me
      on this folks...been teaching in the SCA a LONG time and I can tell you that
      usually the teacher is the one MOST passionate about a thing. The "student"
      seems to have degrees of interest from very hight to moderate. If you "lead"
      expect that and begin by using the "middle ground" theory. As this group
      grows we need those with keen interest and skill to step up, teach, lead and
      inspire. Please don't let shyness be a hurdle or fear that your efforts are
      not valued...THEY ARE...and are really needed. if you have a passion for
      something, teach it, inpsire others take the lead. The College will be
      better for it! I belive it is impossible for our group to be everything for
      every equestrian but if we have a strong and diverse foundation we can be
      many things to many equestrians...and that is a GOOD THING (tm). The flip
      side to this is that we should not sculpt rules or situations to fit just
      one person or group. That is just plain unfair. There must be ACTIVE
      interest in a thing or it will simple fall outside the scope of what our
      little group can/will do.
      An activity must serve to the betterment of more than just one person. We
      need to keep this in mind as well.

      As we recruit more advanced equestrian (I do NOT consider myself in that
      category by the way) we will inevitably be wanting to spend more time on
      advanced stuff (ie: games, skills, research and so on). This is a great and
      wonderful thing. I know I LEARN lots everytime I chat with folks like
      Aurora, Juliana, Arianwen, Siobhan, Elisabeth, Zinada, Morrigan and folks of
      that level (and we have lots more of them now than when we re-started this
      whole thing). We are blessed as a group to have the vast and diverse
      experience and skills our experienced equestrians offer. The flip side of
      this is that we need to foster our newer equestrians and inspire them to
      become "experienced" equestrians. The trick is to keep both sides engaged.
      My thoughts lean towards events where we have equestrian activities and
      equestrian themed events. In the past we have spent LOTS of time in the
      BEGINNING of the day working with our newer equestrians, doing
      authorizations and so on. It worked then but I feel a change is merited. The
      thought I have been bouncing around in my little skull is this: We know that
      many "new/beginner riders and ground crew do better (ie: build confidence)
      in a more quiet riding area. It is sometimes hard for the newer equestrian
      to feel "in control" when other more adanced riders are moving fast,
      working their mounts at speed and doing what they do. I know I felt that way
      the first time Elisabeth tossed me up on Rocky (we miss you big guy) in a
      public forum. He was fine, "I" was nervous. So the thought is this. Let's
      try to do our advnaced and intermediate activities EARLY in the day towards
      the beginning of the event scehedule when the horses and riders are fresh.
      We then take a break for some much needed "social time" and tasty beverages
      along with classes and demonstrations and THEN do beginner activities and
      authorizations. This serves (in my little mind) everyone better. We keep our
      advanced folks focused on performance and by those deeds of equine skill
      they INSPIRE the newer riders, who of course will be watching and learning
      form their peers, to strive for a developmental goal. At the latter part of
      the day our experienced crew has worked hard and is in a better mindset to
      be "teachers" because they got to do what they love early on and feel more
      inclined to "foster". Our newer equestrians will not be able to "stay in the
      saddle" as long (this to me, is a physical reality...you have to be in shape
      to ride well and newer riders are not as "in shape" and someone who spends
      hours a week in the saddle. No slight was intended.) and the learning curve
      is, as with all beginners, smaller. The experienced and beginner equestrians
      can then co-mingle and share some great learning experiences and still feel
      like they got in some good "saddle time". So, by organizing an event in
      this fashion we serve everyone well and o one group is neglected.

      We have greaty reduced the rule book! This is a good thing. Common courtesy
      and common (aka horse) sense should be our guides when ever we do anything
      or experiment with something new. We need to look at how modern and
      successful horse groups do things and take some hints from that sector. We
      need to listen to our expeirenced equestrians who have done much in the
      modern world. Communication is the FOUNDATION of our success! There are many
      right ways to do things. We as a group must be flexible in our thinking and
      our approach to the many aspects of the equestrian arts and activities we
      persue. Since we all seems to enjoy the "middle ages" and our pal the horse
      had a great deal to do with the progress of humanity during that time we
      should be doing our homework and looking for period sources to base our
      activities on...but we also ned to keep it fun! Fun and Period should be
      buddies!

      OK...WAY too much coffee this morning. I hope everyone who took the time to
      read this far will understand that the comments offered up above have been
      given in the spirit of fellowship and real admiration for EVERYONE who has
      ever help the College in ANY way to become what it is today.

      Thanks!

      Richard de Camville
    • Kerri Geppert
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
        Re: [WestKingdomEQ] As We Move Forward... (kinda long) Richard,
        Well said and encouraging to read.  Your posts seem to hit points right on the mark.  Thanks for pointing out ways we can better ourselves as a group. It’s through the efforts of those of you that sat on the picnic bench at your old ranch that the EQ group has grown to what it is today.

        Clare
        Oertha EQ Marshal
      • Aurora Komnenos
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007

          Firecracker came to me from the Pacific Coast Quarter Horse yearling sale.  Now they are listed in the sale catalog as Pending because the papers usually haven’t come back from AQHA when the listings for the catalog are submitted.

          So, I buy this horse, get her papers “Tiny Splendor” is her name……<yuck – Tiny ???  That’s soooo getting changed….submit new registered name to AQHA>

          And the 2nd day I had her….she demonstrated to us that her barn name was Firecracker.  And even now at 5, she every once in a while reminds us how she earned her barn name.

          -        A

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007

            You know you’ve worked for a tech company too long when you look at Category Two and are thinking Cat 2 unshielded twisted pair network cabling – 4 mbits/s token ring….

            What’s that song….”blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night”….

            -        A

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
              Ah, Sir Richard,

              Another thought provoking post. You summed it up beautifully and I
              hope that others take the time to ruminate on what has been said here.

              Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts. I appreciate them.

              JoA

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Canfield"

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
                Darn, I thought Beau would be nice cause Beauseant is Richard's motto!
                :-), Marguerite

                On Nov 6, 2007 8:53 AM, la3luna <la3luna@...> wrote:
                > Ellen.... Great advice! "Beau" was on my list. LOL!
                >
                > JoA
                >

                > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Johnson"
                >
                > <ellenwwind@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > In the same vein, DON'T name him Dance or Beau,(or variations
                > thereof).
                > >
                > > My Danse danced around until he was over 10, (spooked at his
                > shadow,
                > > dirt clods, ect.). Every Beau I've known has bowed a tendon. Now
                > > had a rescured OTTB/polo pony that I renamed Megan, she was a
                > cadillac
                > > of a trail horse and really had a head on her shoulders. Also had
                > > an 'overdrive' gear you would not believe. Koshana translated into
                > > a 'work of great worth' in Persian. She was a very level headed
                > Arab
                > > even at 4 years old and had a great work ethic. 8)
                > >
                > > If you want to use him in games why not "Lance"? Lexi and Lance?
                > > Maybe too close sounding. There is also the ever popular Socks
                > > (Sox). He will probably name himself though.
                > >
                > > Ellen

                > This is not an official SCA email list.

                > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

                > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • David Walters
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Richard,

                  You make some very good points about the importance of being leaders and inspiring others through our actions.  I've been reflecting on some comments I heard at Coronet about the EQ community as a whole.   Folks seem inspired by our horses and the pagentry, particularly the meet and greet activities on the Eric with colorful barding and good show.

                  I've also heard some negative comments about how we don't make a strong effort to keep our camps closer to the norm (in particular mixing all the horse trailers in among the tents).   There's also a number of comments about there not being enough pagentry in our games and activities, excepting the rare pas or challenge on the eric.

                  As we move forward, I think we should consider not just the impact we have while on horse, but the impact our activities have on the eventing community as a whole.  I look forward to the day when we have enough draw and participation to have EQ Tournaments and draw populace to watch the many competitors and combatants.  Until that day, what responsiblities do we have to learn to integrate our activities with the mainstream traditions of the West?

                  -Hamish
[...]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Else Hunrvogt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007
                    --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, David Walters <wyllow@...> wrote:
                    > I've also heard some negative comments about how we don't make a
                    strong effort to keep our camps closer to the norm (in particular
                    mixing all the horse trailers in among the tents).

                    I have seen many comments on how the new rules provide an opportunity
                    to explore new games. I think they also present an opportunity to
                    present a new attitude towards the keeping of horses at events. The
                    simpliest step is not having trailers and mundane tents in line of
                    sight of the list field (especially at sites where the eric and Eq area
                    are adjacent), but I think there is also a chance to try more period
                    stabling.

                    I can cite 17th century examples of pickets and tie stalls, but haven't
                    come across good stabling information that is older. Does anyone have
                    information on period stabling techniques, particularly those used on
                    campaign?

                    Else
                  • Aurora Komnenos
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 10, 2007

                      I’ve got lots of Napoleonic-era cavalry on campaign stuff…..not much of our period.

                      If my back order of the Three Byzantine Military Treatise ever gets filled I may have something….Rolf does not recall Stragikon (Maurices Stragikon, a 6th Century Military manual) covering anything for the stabling….  There should be something somewhere for when Basil II mounted the entire army to get them from the western end of the empire to deal with a  situation on the eastern end in record-breaking time….

                      -        Aurora