Golden Rivers September EQ Practice Report

  • bulotki@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2007
      Greetings,

      Our Equestrian Practice held Sunday, September 16th featured mounted games practice runs and splendid weather.  We had five horses (well, 4 and a pony), five riders, and four groundcrew.  Congratulations to Malik on achieving his Beginner Rider authorization on Sugar.  Catherine deMolay
      increased her riding authorization to Intermediate on Sam.  Also Muirenn became a Beginner level groundcrew.  Marshalling were Viscountess Juliana, Nicola (MiT) and myself.  We appreciate the help from the groundcrew in setup, reset and teardown of equipment and caring for the horses.

      No accidents or incidents occurred during the practice.

      After the practice was over, horses were cooled down, untacked and groomed.  Sam went out to the turnout pasture.  Within 20 minutes another boarder alerted me that he was down and in trouble.  When I got there he was showing signs of an acute bout colic.  I called my vet and he advised a dose of banamine paste and monitoring.  Sam had not improved significantly, and seemed to be going into shock after 30-45 minutes.  I called the vet back, and he was there within 15 minutes.  Sam was up and walking when the vet arrived.  He examined him and gave some additional pain meds, and follow-up advice.  Sam was put in the round pen with water and frequent monitoring throughout the evening.  By 8:00 pm, he was much more himself, begging for treats, nuzzling and interested in what was going on.

      I want to thank EVERYONE that stayed and helped while Sam was sick.  Juliana, Nicola, Macha, Kemnon, Catherine, Malik did whatever was needed at the moment during a very difficult time.  Linda, my barn manager, was just amazing  -- she's very fond of Sam, and knew just what to do, I had never seen a horse that sick survive.  I'm so grateful to all of you and so is Sam.

      Gwen
      Golden Rivers Equestrian Marshal