Re: Great Western War

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11 11:09 AM
      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Lizabeth" <deliriumskid@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh, Lovely.
      >
      > LZO
      >
      > --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, zaena HRB <originalzaena@>
      > wrote:

      These are her words:
      > > " Due to west nile outbreak here you better bring some deet! You
      > will be
      > > camping right next to a major mosquito source here in the valley,
      > they
      > > have had near 100+ cases of it here this summer, a few deaths."

      Human West Nile Cases in CA:
      2007 – 172
      2006 - 278
      2005 – 880
      2004 – 779
      2003 – 3
      2002 – 1
      2001 – 0

      As with most infectious disease in a naïve population, there is a
      lovely attack rate curve generated. For Calfornia, we appear to be
      past the peak. I'm not sure if we are still decreasing or leveling
      off.

      Kern County
      2006: Human – 51; Horses – 4; Dead Birds – 24; Mosquito Samples –
      230; Sentinel Chickens – 92; Squirrels - 0
      2007: Human – 100; Horses – 3; Dead Birds – 106; Mosquito Samples –
      194; Sentinel Chickens – 50; Squirrels – 0

      It's interesting that Kern County has had a jump in Human cases while
      the rest of the state has leveled off/decreased. I wonder if it is
      an increase in circulating virus, an increase in susceptible
      population, or/and increase in reporting. At the same time,
      denominators are important.

      Kern County has a current infection rate of 15.11/100,000 people.

      This is only twice the infection rate of Tehama County (7.14/100,000)
      which hosted March Crown and three times the rate of Butte County
      (5.41/100,000) which I believe is hosting Cynaguan Coronet.

      So vaccinate your horses and wear bug spray, but I wouldn't panic yet.

      Else

      From the California Department of Public Health:

      What are the symptoms of WNV?
      WNV affects the central nervous system. However, symptoms vary:

      • Serious Symptoms in a Few People. Less than one percent
      (about 1 in 150 people) of individuals infected with WNV will develop
      severe illness. The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache,
      neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions,
      muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis. These symptoms
      may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent. WN
      virus infection can be fatal.
      • Milder Symptoms in Some People. Up to 20 percent (about 1 in
      5) of the people who become infected will display symptoms which can
      include fever, headache, body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes
      swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back.
      Symptoms generally last for just a few days, although even previously
      healthy people have been sick for several weeks.
      • No Symptoms in Most People. Approximately 80 percent of
      people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with WNV will not show any
      symptoms.