Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Now, the long haul... Was Re: Summer Hunt in An tir

  • Dianne L Karp
    Message 1 of 76 , Feb 1, 2007
      Estrella is, of course in Az.  The haul to the north end of Washington (where Donwynna lives) is mostly a straight shot up Hwy 5 and, with the exception of the big hill into Oregon, not bad at all.  I've driven up there many times for West ANTir War and all the way to the north to visit Connor's mom while she was living.  The rest of the way _to_ the island site, I am not familiar with - Donwynna came over on the ferry to have dinner with us once 'cause she lives on the island.

      As for hauling, I am not long haul expert.  I never owned a trailer until 2 years ago. I have asked lots of questions of my vet and the folks I know who do haul a great deal.  My trainer, a professional for 30 decades, takes a break of at least 30 min every 4 hours or so. The professional show folks I know will tell you that horses get can sick from long distance hauling - my vet concurs - if not done, as Zinaida suggests, in a box stall.  Even then many do not do well.  Most of the Grand Prix competitors I have known over my life much prefer to arrive at least one day ahead of competiton to let the horses settle out.

      Everything, of course, depends on your horse.  Some haul long distances well, other are wreaks even with a short, gentle ride.  Mine have been fine on the up to 7 hours I have taken them.  They are fine on the twisty ride from Reno to Concow (2+ hours of narrow canyon 2 lane road!) although they look at me with daggers in their eyes when we get out (grin).  They are fine for the 30 min dirt back road rides we take to go fox hunting  (bump bump rattle rattle rattle).  The 3 year old filly got a crash course in hauling at the spring eq event - her first ride was the almost 3 hours to Auroa's house and she was fine.

      Siobhan n S

    • Laura
      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 8, 2010
        Jeez, is June Crown scheduled for the same week as the San Benito County Horseman's Association Annual Rodeo??? (Which is, btw, pronounced ro-DAY-o, like Rodeo Drive in L.A.) That should make for some interesting parking issues...

        I'm not sure whether I'll bring the pony, but I'm kinda thinking I should split my time between Crown and some very mundane nostalgia...
        Just FYI, my late father did all of his competing at said rodeo back a gazillion years ago. Not much in the way of pictures (a few snapshots but the shutter speeds were too slow), but the family brand is in one of those concrete blocks in the front of the grandstand.