Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Progress Reports?

  • Dianne L Karp
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007

      The weather in Reno has been mostly too cold and or windy for riding babies. Plus, I do not get home most days before dark.

      What little riding I have been doing has been in the Hunt field.  Ebony is doing well and learning his job.  Although he was been taken hunting for years by his young previous owner, she could only riding him during school breaks,  This is, therefore, his first real season hunting.

      He is finally learning to use his butt - it is now safe to take him down very steep hills!

      Reinless is not something I have the time for at the moment.

      Siobhan

    • la3luna
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
        Siobhan,

        I can imagine that riding in your part of the West gets dicey as
        winter progresses. You are brave souls to get out to hunt as much as
        you do!

        Riding youngsters: Just an FYI - (you prolly know this Siobhan), but
        I have not chosen Velvet for "the challenge" because she was a blank
        slate. Basically she is the only horse I have at the moment!

        Ol Autumn would have been a better candidate for this with all her
        dressage training ... but ... lack of foresight there! She sold ...
        and I needed her to anyway. Actually I needed another horse to fit
        like I need another teenager to feed... LOL!

        We will see how things go once Our reign commenses. All my future
        weekends will be swallowed up into the SCA and week nights as well I
        imagine. I am trying to get a head start on it now because when we
        step down I'll have precious little time to play catch-up with yall.
        And with a baby brain under me, I may not have the right situation to
        get her when I'd like her to be. But this is a loooong road and it
        will be fun to see how far everyone got come the fall!

        YIS,

        Juliana

        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Dianne L Karp <dkarp@...> wrote:

        > The weather in Reno has been mostly too cold and or windy for riding
        > babies. Plus, I do not get home most days before dark.
        >
        > What little riding I have been doing has been in the Hunt field.
        Ebony
        > is doing well and learning his job. Although he was been taken
        hunting
        > for years by his young previous owner, she could only riding him
        during
        > school breaks, This is, therefore, his first real season hunting.
        >
        > He is finally learning to use his butt - it is now safe to take him
        down
        > very steep hills!
        >
        > Reinless is not something I have the time for at the moment.
        >
        > Siobhan

      • Michael Canfield
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
          Greetings & Happy New Year!

          Elisabeth and I are still in the hotel....but we should be closing (best
          case scenario) before 12th Night or (worst case scenario) soon after it. We
          then need to do some minor fence repair and erect a real shelter for our
          horse. Once that is done...we go horse shopping! Can't have just
          one...Lexie get's lonely.
          After that it is domestic projects and horse maintenace time! Don't think
          we'l make the challenge but we will be there in spirit!
          Good news is we'll be about 1.5 miles from Juliana and Gunther!

          Have a joyfull, healthy and properous 2007 everyone!

          Cheers!

          RdC/EdC
        • la3luna
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
            Yes! We rode the horses by your place last weekend! Much property
            potential and a cute roomy house.

            Gunther wishes to extend his chain saw, gas can and lighter to help you
            guys clear your property <very big grin>. He thinks "we" should torch
            the goat house! Hey ... it IS open burn season after all!

            We noted you may have a hard time setting up a games practice field.
            For this you are always welcome to use our arena. We have equipment and
            trailer parking etc.

            Let us know what you need? Help is just around the corner.

            Juliana and Gunther (fire! fire! fire!)
          • la3luna
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2007
              So ... is ANYONE else training for this challenge?

              Just Curious?

              Juliana

              --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "la3luna" <la3luna@...> wrote:

              > First of all ...Happy New Year!
              >
              > How is everyone doing with the horsemanship challenge? I.e. the
              > bridle-less/reinless challenge. I figure most of us have been
              riding
              > off and on through the Holidays – the weather has been decent
              enough!

              > As we move into this Challenge I thought we could keep up and/or
              help
              > each other through on-line progress reports. So here is Velvet's.
              >
              > Velvet is still such a sleepy-baby in the brain, typical draft
              > mentality. She understands the "Heads" pattern pretty good and is
              up
              > to an easy canter on a 25' course. No lead changes though. So I am
              > thinking I'll be able to ride her advanced right out of the gate
              this
              > spring. (Note I said "ride" and not "compete" … LOL!). She is
              still
              > trying to get used to moving "at speed" under saddle and will
              offer
              > up a volley of bucking leaps when we move into a hand gallop.
              Nothing
              > too horrific, just immaturity and it seems that she is a bit
              panicked
              > about motoring into high gear. So I am trying to ease her into
              > working at speed, as I don't want her developing any bad habits.
              >
              > She is coming alone quite nicely on her solo leg and seat aids (at
              > the walk). So far we have just been playing at this during cool
              > downs. There are holes in her work of course. Simple changes of
              > directions are coming along nicely, so are her upward transitions.
              > She sucks at the halt and that concerns me - I am going to keep it
              > real simple for her. As long as my arena stays quiet and she can
              be
              > focused on my aids, she does well. And in all honesty, she is so
              > young and green that I am not expecting much this early into
              training
              > her for the challenge.
              >
              > All in all I don't think I could as for a nicer equine student. At
              > times I have to kick myself into remembering that she is only 3
              ½ !
              > Our next chunk of work is building up her fitness level again. She
              > was sore (in the back) after her first 60 days of being backed
              > and "broke" in the round pen. So her last few months have been
              easy,
              > sporadic work to let her physically recover - and also to let
              those
              > early lessons mentally soak in a bit. So after we get her fitness
              > back up I am thinking about doing what I did with Jester; teaching
              > simple western movements (like rollbacks) to get her working off
              the
              > haunches and adding in dressage patterns to keep her mind
              interested.
              > She is a work in progress and after all it's about that journey
              right?

              > So how are y'all coming along? Anyone been playing with this or am
              > the only fool out there with red ears and cheeks this winter?
              >
              > YIS,
              >
              > JoA

            • Anderson, Suzy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 9, 2007
                Hey Juliana,

                I'm busy working on Bridleless Roman Riding with Lorenzo...HA!

                Actually, I was doing really well with my mare, no where near riding at liberty, but hey, it's a goal, right?  We are still doing great at liberty on the ground, but alas our world has been shaken up a bit.  My TB, who is the fearless alpha of our little head, has been in the horsy hospital since Christmas Day and my mare is NOT happy about having to step up to the alpha role.  She is vacillating between being insecure and dominant.  That being said, I've learned, from personal experience and from those who interacted with her before she came to me, that is part of her old pattern.  When she was insecure or upset she would get really "BIG" and "SCARY" and low and behold, people would leave her alone and unfortunately she is trying to fall back into that pattern, at least under saddle.   (Not too hard to be scary at 1,800+ lbs...I have seen her charge and kick at others who tried to pick a fight with her, and yes, I still had to have her...they just didn't understand her true nature, haha, silly girl, I know!)

                Thankfully, she is not being aggressive toward me on the ground, but I definitely feel I'm losing ground in the saddle, as she is quite cranky (bucky and reary), but patience will win the day and I'm hoping the big guy, Bob, will be home soon to help us all feel better.

                Gee doesn't this make you want to invite us to an event!  No worries, I'm still very much her leader on the ground, and she really is a sweetheart, I just haven't yet got the goods to help her feel secure about riding out with just the two of us, bridleless or otherwise.

                As for my dear Bobby, he developed an incredibly nasty infection in his left hind leg.  It came on very quickly, w/in 4 hours, and sadly, it's the worst my vet has ever seen...it swelled to approx. five times its normal size, yikes!  My vet thinks it could be some sort of severe invenimation, but this time of year that seems unlikely, however we did have a stretch of warm weather just before Christmas, so who knows what he might have stirred up.  Whatever the case, he is doing really well at the moment, he is eating again, gaining weight and beginning to put weight on the leg and no sign of laminitis in the other.  The scary part is that even with him doing so well emotionally, and trying to heal, if the tissue starts to die...well...that could be the end of him.  I'm told it will still be a long process (he's starting to slough skin...eewww) and we are still waiting on the culture results.
                Thankfully he is getting wonderful care with lots of folks around and being spoiled rotten with high-powered feed and loads of treats, so we're just hoping for the best...any prayers, or thoughts of healing energy would be greatly appreciated.

                Sorry to dump that out there, but I figure the more good thoughts the better...who knows maybe next year I'll meet the Challenge with Bob!

> [...]

                > and "broke" in the round pen.
                So her last few months have been
                easy,
                > sporadic work to let her
                physically recover - and also to let
                those
                > early lessons mentally
                soak in a bit. So after we get her fitness
                > back up I am thinking about
                doing what I did with Jester; teaching
                > simple western movements (like
                rollbacks) to get her working off
                the
                > haunches and adding in
                dressage patterns to keep her mind
                interested.
                > She is a work in
                progress and after all it's about that journey
                right?

                > So
                how are y'all coming along? Anyone been playing with this or am

                the only fool out there with red ears and cheeks this winter?

                This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
                intended recipient (s) and may contain information that is confidential,
                proprietary, legally privileged, or otherwise protected by law from
                disclosure.  Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure, or
                distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, or the
                person responsible for delivering this to an addressee, you should notify
                the sender immediately by telephone or by reply e-mail, and destroy all
                copies of the original message.

              • la3luna
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Hey Suzy,

                  That was by no means a dump! That was an excellent real-life Progress
                  Report, even if you did not intend it to be one! ...LOL!

                  I don't expect anyone to be going at this quickly. It is NOT the
                  JOURNEY after all?

                  Sorry to hear you are having pony troubles. They always seem to get
                  sick this time of year ... I am jingling curb chains for yours and
                  knocking on wood for my own.

                  Did you see that dead sexy roman riding video on the Altavian List?
                  wHoA!!!!

                  YIS,

                  Juliana

                  --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "Anderson, Suzy"

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2007
                    I assume Bob is at Comstock? They are good. Let us know how he does.

                    Siobhan
                  • Natalie
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Actually, following our last conversation, I decided to see how my
                      goofball might do sans bridle. I did, afterall, start him in a rope
                      halter 2 years ago so it's not like he grew up without knowing what my
                      seat was all about.

                      We often ride on trail with our halter and lead rope under our bridle.
                      I'll drop the rein and just use the rope tied in a loop around his neck
                      (no contact with his face). So does "rope around the neck" count as
                      bridleless riding??? If so, I'll start working with him this way more.

                      So, I have to ask, is the challenge to be totally bridleless? Whether
                      it's because he's just young, is a Tennessee Walker with a short
                      attention span and very loose joints, or was born a goof or a
                      combination of the three, one way or another I need SOMETHING in
                      addition to my leg/seat. Would this challenge permit me to have the
                      bridle on my horse, yanno, just incase he decides to forget everything
                      he's learned because something catches his attention (ooooh loooook!
                      Pretty butterfly!....galumph, plonk, flop) and just ride without
                      touching the rein or bit unless it's an emergency/safety issue?

                      thanks,

                      ariadne in caid (considering the idea of spreading the challenge to
                      equestrians in Caid too!)

                    • dkarp@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007

                        I would say it would only be prudent to have the bridle or halter and lead on the horses in case they all get memos (which they _never_ share with us) about the scary, horseeating X .

                        SnS

                        Am I the Siobhan you are looking for>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                            I have to agree with Siobhan, especially where groups of horses are concerned.  However, since I am an idealist and a big-time dreamer...I believe that the whole point of Liberty is that you and your horse are so connected that it shouldn't matter what else is going on around you, it's your body and your leadership that is guiding them, emotionally and physically.

                            That being said, riding with a halter and then just a neck rope is the natural progression to true Liberty, which is bareback and bridleless...like I said, I'm a Dreamer!   LOL!

                            Go for it Ariadne in Caid, you're halfway there!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                              We often ride on trail with our halter and lead rope under our bridle.
                              I'll drop the rein and just use the rope tied in a loop around his neck
                              (no contact with his face). So does "rope around the neck" count as
                              bridleless riding??? If so, I'll start working with him this way more.

                              The rope around the neck/chest area (this is one of Pat Parelli's tricks as well), is also called a tack rein.  Evidently, there's an entire group of riders called Eh Capa that ride this way bareback.  (http://www.ehcapa.com/)

                               - Aurora
                            • Anderson, Suzy

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                                  Back in 1968 I visited friends in Ridgecrest (southeast calif. desert area)
                                  and while there got to ride a retired parade horse named Suliman ( a black
                                  and white Paint). He had some leg issues, so long rides were out, but a
                                  gentle ride for 30 minutes was ok. No tack was available at the time so I
                                  rode bareback and used my armor belt ( quite long, like many knight's belts)
                                  buckled loosely in the last hole and sitting low on his chest and around his
                                  neck, instead of a bridle. We rode out among the scrubb, creosote and cacti
                                  at speeds up to a gentle canter. He responded to light neck rein ques and
                                  stopped when I pulled back, in combination with verbal ques. He had a
                                  wonderful personality and I'll always remember how well he worked with just
                                  a belt. It was about as close to being one with a horse as I ever expect to
                                  get. The film Hidalgo reminded me of him in more ways than one.

                                  Henrik