Re: Chosing the right horse speed

  • Else Hunrvogt
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
      --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, "ellenwwind" <ellenwwind@...>
      wrote:

      The one thing I have found missing
      > in the rewrite of our rules is the part a horse owner plays, (as in
      > the requests to riders from the owner are to be considered LAWS
      > towards use of their horse). I know it shouldn't have to be
      stated.
      > However, considering the fact that if I see someone on my horse
      > doing something ill advised or I have specifically forbidden, I
      will
      > rip them off said animal and march what is left to the EqMC.

      Ellen,

      The December 1 version states,

      "1. In order to participate in equestrian activities, each equestrian
      must accept responsibility for the following:

      (a) To take reasonable and prudent steps to ensure the well being of
      any equines over which they have control."

      I would interpret part a to mean that as an owner (a participating
      equestrian) you have not only a right, but a responsibility to do
      just that.

      Else
    • Viscountess Gwendwyn the Silent
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
        Ellen,

        Every owner has the right to determine who will ride or even touch
        their horse and under what conditions, both in and out of the SCA.
        If a rider refuses to do as asked, they are done riding -- at a
        minimum for that day, and perhaps longer. All EQ Marshals and
        EQMiCs, this is a reportable incident, no excuses.

        Gwen
        West KEO

        wrote:

        > I have read the re-writes and agree with pretty much everything
        > (happy dances around the room). The one thing I have found
        missing
        > in the rewrite of our rules is the part a horse owner plays, (as
        in
        > the requests to riders from the owner are to be considered LAWS
        > towards use of their horse). I know it shouldn't have to be
        stated.
        > However, considering the fact that if I see someone on my horse
        > doing something ill advised or I have specifically forbidden, I
        will
        > rip them off said animal and march what is left to the EqMC.
        >
        > That said, it would be nice to have those actions stated as right
        > and proper in the Known Worlde to shut down the "but I was
        only..."
        > excuses. I also know that the horse owner does have a
        > responsibility to inform the marshallate of any restrictions on
        the
        > use of their animals as well so they can be properly monitored if
        > the owner has to leave the area.
        >
        > IMHO,
        >
        > Ellen

      • la3luna
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
          I finally got through the rewrite today - QUITE a painless experience
          actually!

          I applaud the rewrite. I am very happy to see a common sense approach
          coming to the SCA Equestrians. Making a change to more personal
          responsibility for each rider is a big step in the right direction.
          Personal responsibility on the part of each rider is how the majority
          of horse groups/events outside of the SCA funtion. It has a history of
          working well.

          And the revised jousting rules ... Juliana is doing a happy dance!

          YIS,

          Juliana of Avon
        • Dianne L Karp
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
            We are still discussing and rewriting - every day, sigh <G>

            I posted some 'conventions' for discussion yesterday which did include
            the idea that the horse owner has final say.

            SnS