Santa Cruz Eq. Practice / Demo Official Report for 11-19-2006

  • Mistress Collette de Rayncheval / Autumn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      Eq. Practice / Demo Report, Santa Cruz, 11-19-2006

      SCCHA Showgrounds
      1145 Grahm Hill Road

      Eq. Autocrat: Bjorn of Novgorod
      Eq. Marshal in Charge: Collette de Rayncheval
      Sponsoring Group: Caer Darth, Darkwood

      Attendees: 35
      Riders: 27
      Minors: 8
      Horses: ~24

      In the middle of several very wet days, Sunday blossomed with beautiful
      weather and warm sunshine. The Showgrounds were in great shape, dry,
      with plenty of room to park and to ride, and two beautifully groomed
      sand arenas. Needless to say, everything about the day was perfect for
      an Eq. practice.

      We were expecting around 5 to 8 riders, and perhaps 5 bystanders. What a
      surprise. What a scramble to deal with so many people when we we had
      planned for so few.

      We had people from SCA, SCCHA, 4-H, and BAEN! This ranks among the
      biggest Eq. activities we have had in the last several years! Hopefully
      some of these people will join the SCA, several sounded interested
      enough to. (I didn't get to talk to many people as I was authorizing
      people most of the time. When I wasn't doing that, I was being official
      or doing paperwork. Even so, several people expressed interest to me.)

      We had 4 activities happening simultaneously. There was the
      authorizations (which then became a heads setup), the archery, and the
      "jousting" and quintain lane. (We had a lane set up with the quintain at
      the end, and people were invited to either ride at the quintain, or
      practice passing each other at the different gates, the riders then had
      the option of taking pool noodles and tapping them overhead as they rode
      past each other.)

      There were reports of much laughter and fun with the quintain and the
      tapping of pool noodles. Everyone was talking about the archery. The
      heads course went off well. (Ok, I couldn't help myself about the pun!)
      The participants had a real blast and wanted us to come back and do this
      no less than on a monthly basis! Some were also asking if we would be
      willing to do demo or hold practices at their barns. How could I say no?
      So, of course, I said yes.

      The only incidents we had were a lack of communication on my part to
      Dauid about SCA requirements not allowing the use of a crossbow while
      mounted, which was promptly solved as soon as I realized that Dauid had
      brought a crossbow and mentioned this restriction to him. He immediately
      put the crossbow away except for people who wanted to dismount and play
      with it. Other than that, a couple of horses did some enthusiastic
      bucking. No riders came off. There were no other incidents.

      There were several wonderful people who showed up and worked their tails
      off. Without them, this practice would never have succeeded:

      Bjorn -- did a fabulous job getting the site; working with Caer Darth,
      myself, and
      Dauid to make this practice happen; working with the SCCHA to make
      everything
      work and everyone happy; advertising to the SCCHA, BAEN, and the SCA
      Eq. list; working most of the day showing people how to participate,
      and helped
      organize and run the activities; brought the equipment; and helped
      set up and take
      down equipment.
      Quorwn -- helped where he was needed; brought the equipment; and helped
      set up and took down equipment; and made a quintain.
      Dauid -- who generously came to an Eq. event, brought archery equipment,
      showed everyone how to shoot, and set up and took down equipment.
      Alessandro & Robert -- who both came and Eq. Marshaled for the day, and
      also did most of the setup and take down of equipment.
      Gwenessa and Amy -- who showed up, out of the blue, and ran the
      gate / sign-in / information table: and one even ran to the bank to
      get change.
      Anne -- who showed up with her son and husband to their first SCA activity,
      and demanded (pleasantly) to know how she could work to support the
      activity, then promptly worked the entire day.

      The longest distance traveled award goes to David Muerle and Nicole
      Wheeler, who both came with horses from Vacaville.

      SCCHA has an agreement with a local vet to be on call, or arrange
      someone to substitute him. That vet is:
      Adobe Animal Clinic, Santa Cruz.

      Overall, this was a FABULOUSLY SUCCESSFUL Eq. Practice / Demo.

      Thanks again to everyone who made this event a success!

      In Service,

      -- Mistress Collette de Rayncheval
      Mists Eq. Officer
      Eq. MiC for this practice / demo
    • Else Hunrvogt
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In WestKingdomEQ@yahoogroups.com, Mistress Collette de Rayncheval /
        Autumn Cardone <autumn_cardone@...> wrote:
        > The only incidents we had were a lack of communication on my part to
        > Dauid about SCA requirements not allowing the use of a crossbow while
        > mounted, which was promptly solved as soon as I realized that Dauid
        had
        > brought a crossbow and mentioned this restriction to him. He
        immediately
        > put the crossbow away except for people who wanted to dismount and
        play
        > with it. Other than that, a couple of horses did some enthusiastic
        > bucking. No riders came off. There were no other incidents.

        Collette,

        Could you explain the basis of the prohibition against crossbows? I
        can't find the language in our current ruleset.

        Thanks,