Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Video Authorizeation **

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      You're in Alaska with Claire, right? If it's not possible to get
      together to do an auth ride, then demonstrating control of your mount
      with a boffer weapon in your striking hand is what's typically asked
      for. Often we run the rider through the heads course (serpentine
      pattern), and have them stop & back the mount - but not always.

      You want to be sure & demonstrate that the rider is in control, and
      that the horse hasn't just memorized the games pattern. ;-) And that
      the rider is familiar & comfortable with riding one handed holding a
      weapon (tip up, often placed on the rider's shoulder) and doesn't
      accidentally strike/touch the mount.

      To my knowledge, the only other video authorization in the West was
      done by Reagan from the Far West (Japan) when I was KEO. She had some
      issues with the rental horse *really* not wanting to canter. However,
      regardless of detail lost with distance and angle, it was clear that
      she was doing everything right, and the horse was just not used to
      having to work above a trot. Boffer swords aren't crops, after all!
      The tape was 10-15 minutes or so of her riding at the various gaits,
      in various patterns, showing her holding and (I think) swinging the
      boffer (that shows the required backhanded swing).

      Hope that helps!
      :-), Marguerite

      On 10/31/06, garth_horse <garth_horse@...> wrote:
      > so i have read some of the goings on of late but here in the far north
      > we planed to do my authorizeation some time about now but the horse i
      > was to use has come up lame ( abcess ) and is reciveing excelent care.
      >
      > now i could bring my own horse(s) but that is aprox 200miles one way.
      > so you can figure we are going to re schedule. and like as not that's
      > going to be video.
      >
      > so if i have to go that route that won't be for some time depending on
      > the weather and all that jazz.
      >
      > so if anybody here has some actual exsperience with doing tapeing of
      > thier demo i would apericiate a note. alot of detail can be lost with
      > distance and angles...
      >
      > thanks in advance
      > garth

      > This is not an official SCA email list.

      > This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mistress Collette de Rayncheval / Autumn
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        You also will want to include enough evidence to pass the intermediate groundcrew level (very easy for experienced riders) much of which can be answered to Gwen (West Kingdom Eq. Officer) via email, but a couple of things are only showable via video. (Our handbook requires all riders to be authorized as groundcrew first.) If you look over the attached Groundcrew Class Handout, you will see what you need.

        If anything is unclear, feel free to email me (that will help me when I go to update this file in the next month).

        -- Collette
        Mists Eq. Officer

        P.S. If anyone else sees things that need to be included in the Groundcrew Class Handout please let me know! (Everything new will need to be run through Gwen. Everything we are already using that I forgot to include, or that needs further details I can just update directly.) Thanks! :-)

        Rachael Keish wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: