Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Re: Many THANKS!

  • Mistress Collette de Rayncheval / Autumn
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      I would agree that enclosing the entire Eric (except, perhaps the large entry / exit road) would have been much safer and would have helped keep the populous from wandering onto the Eric between the horses.

      I have to say that the Ground Crew for the Royal Procession were FABULOUS!!! They were very attentive and very respectful! I was highly impressed with them! They were a great help in keeping everything calm and safe!

      Another thing that we need to do to keep things safe is to remember that we are horse people first, and we should participate only after we determine that we and our equestrian companions are completely willing, able, and in the right mood to do so. If either the horse or the rider is not in the correct frame of mind or health to participate in an activity, then, as a competent horse person, we should remove ourselves from participating; especially in an activity like this procession was, where it is easy for a small thing to become dangerous or make the Eq College look bad rather than good. (I know that several riders who came to Purg to ride in the procession pulled their horses for different reasons. IMO, these riders were the most important riders in the procession. That is a hard decision to make. However, it is largely because of their honor and chivalry in pulling their horses that this procession succeeded!!! I have the highest respect for you!)

      Other than that, I think some more communication would have been great. If there had been someone who could have shared the details to those of us who could not attend the practices. However, it is also up to us, who could not make those practices to find out what we needed to know. I have no idea what communication was given out during the practices as I was running my Vigil and then having my Laurelling Ceremony during the times of the practices. I was able to get enough info to know where I should stand and what pattern we would be walking, which was all I thought to ask about.

      Such is life. Live, learn, try that and keep finding new areas to learn and grow! :-)

      I am amazed and thrilled with how well the procession did go. Great job everyone!

      -- Collette
      finally recovering from Purg and starting to scan over 2+ months of emails (by topic)

      Rachael Keish wrote:

      >>It was not comfortable for some of the spectators to have so many horses so
      close to them. I think if the Eric had been enlarged - perhaps
      double in size of what we had ( there was a lot of empty grassy
      field towards the entry gate that we could have spread out into, I
      believe)<<
      Eric size is a cointentious thuiing, sionce this procession/EQ is not
      all that the Eric is used for and EQ is secondary to the traditional
      primary focus of the Eric - heavy fighting. Any larger than about
      100ftx180ft (what we had) and people complain about the length around,
      not hearing their herald's calls, etc. How big was the Eric at the
      June Crown Joust demo? Not much larger, I think.

      >> and a better defined seperation between horses and
      spectators - such as a stake and double rope or fabric panel "fence"
      (with safety gaps for emergency exits) at least waist high, 10 feet
      or so inside the actual Eric perimiter - that the horses (and
      people) could easily identify as a demarcation (if not a barrier)
      the uneasy spectators would have been much less discomfited, if not
      at ease.<<
      That's a safety matter for the person coordinating the activity and
      the EQ MiC to resolve if they feel its needed, and get volunteers to
      erect special EQ Eric fencing. At the June Crown Joust demo, I
      brought extra EQ flagging to "connect the holes" in the Eric. We may
      have left only the one with straight line of sight to the EQ area open
      or guarded by groundsmen ready to lower the rope on an escape
      situation - but I'm pretty sure the approach was to contain a runaway
      horse on the eric, and have people there to physically open the
      flagging if requested by a rider.

      >>> Even if the spacing were the same as at Purg, I think clear -line of
      > sight- lanes of escape should have been more visible to the horses
      > than what I saw. (Were there designated escape lanes? If there were,
      > I didn't see them <<

      That would be the double-its-normal- width, 25 ft wide road that you
      rode into the Eric on. :-) Usually the paths to and from the Eric are
      12-15 ft. (vehicle width only).

      I was monitoring the large road and the horses near the entrance/exit
      to be sure that there was an open escape route, but I don't know what
      instructions were given to riders as I was at my lord's Knighting
      during the prep.

      Were folks told to to peel off if your horse was agitated & go? Was
      it assumed/implied that you would follow the carriage out? What if
      your horse acts up after the carriage left - which is most of what I
      saw - what then?) It's just clear communication of the if/thens and
      expectations that we should try and ensure occur any time a big
      procession/EQ activity is planned on the Eric - and I hope there are
      lots of them!

      Getting into the center of things vs. being out on the edges really
      increases the visibilty (and growth) for all things EQ. Making sure
      we and the unfamiliar-with- horses-populace feel safe and comfortable
      in the process is the main sticking point, and as Richard said every
      event is a learning experience that we should try to make the most of
      with lesons learned type discussion like this one. We don't want to
      rely on luck!

      :-), Marguerite