Re: [WestKingdomEQ] Swordsmanship from horseback...

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      >someone on the SCA eq list who was insiting that one could NOT use
      ones hips to swing a sword from horseback so we never had to wrry
      about hitting too hard in the new experimental game mounted combat.<

      That's funny! Tell that to my dressage instructor - or to the folks
      who watched me ride a rental at Estrella and immdiately asked me 'Do
      you do dressage?' And when I replied in the affirnative and asked how
      they knew, they could all tell I was strongly queing weith my hips
      (neck reining with no hands wasn't happening since I was holding a bag
      of rocks and a sword- fun, fun!) But the poor western horse I was on
      had *no clue* what I was asking him to do.

      We managed, but the point being everyone could *tell* I was using my
      hips due to years of training - the exact same thing I'm willing to
      bet a heavy will do in the saddle when they swing a sword. (Of
      course, if their horse is English that will make them go away from the
      opponent, sort of eliminating the point of power generation! ) But
      regardless its still likely to exceed whats necessary for a good
      boffer shot.