Swordsmanship from horseback...

  • Qorin Borajin / Corwyn ap Rhys Greyrider
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      Someone at Purg, perhaps Siobhan, was talking about issues involved with
      using a sword from horseback (moving your hips, etc.)

      Here's a pertinent page from a generally nifty site, discussing this
      very issue along with practical suggestions on how to be effective. Has
      everyone seen this already?

      http://www.militaryhorse.org/articles/ottevaere/saber.asp

      Regards,

      -- Qorin
    • Dianne L Karp
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        It was me - the comment was about someone on the SCA eq list who was
        insiting that one could NOT use ones hips to swing a sword from horseback
        so we never had to wrry about hitting too hard in the new experimental
        game mounted combat.

        BTW - I will get you the rules, Sir Quorin next week - first week of
        school, trying to get ready for Ducal, Connor home very ill

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
          >someone on the SCA eq list who was insiting that one could NOT use
          ones hips to swing a sword from horseback so we never had to wrry
          about hitting too hard in the new experimental game mounted combat.<

          That's funny! Tell that to my dressage instructor - or to the folks
          who watched me ride a rental at Estrella and immdiately asked me 'Do
          you do dressage?' And when I replied in the affirnative and asked how
          they knew, they could all tell I was strongly queing weith my hips
          (neck reining with no hands wasn't happening since I was holding a bag
          of rocks and a sword- fun, fun!) But the poor western horse I was on
          had *no clue* what I was asking him to do.

          We managed, but the point being everyone could *tell* I was using my
          hips due to years of training - the exact same thing I'm willing to
          bet a heavy will do in the saddle when they swing a sword. (Of
          course, if their horse is English that will make them go away from the
          opponent, sort of eliminating the point of power generation! ) But
          regardless its still likely to exceed whats necessary for a good
          boffer shot.