Jousting At Great Western War!

  • Natalie W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      Greetings,
      With much gratitude to the equestrian autocrat, THL Judwiga Czarna Pika, equestrian activities at Great Western War are shaping up very nicely. There's even an Equestrian page on the GWW web site (nice pic of Lord Nils in Jousting mode on the page!) See: http://www.caid-gww.org/equest.html

      I'll be teaching another installment of my "SCA JOUSTING 101" Class at Great Western War on Friday, Oct. 6 in the morning (schedule to follow). The class will be similar the one at the West's Equestrium in April which proved so popular. The class is designed to train the horse as well as the rider to joust safely using authentic technique given the equipment we use. If you've already been through the class, and even if you're already an authorized SCA jouster, I invite you to participate in the class. I do my best to adapt the lessons to the skill level of both participants and horses. Those gentles who've done the class a couple of times now say they get something out of it every time they participate.

      Depending on the weather, number of people in the class and how the horses handle their training we have the option of breaking the class into two sections, with the more advanced activities, including armoured drilles and jousting authorizations, on Saturday morning. As the equestrian activities schedule for Saturday is still rather fluid, we could even do a small tournament if we have enough authorized jousters and horses available. (I would like to think I have *special* powers of persuasion with our equestrian autocrat. LOL)

      So, I'm interested to hear from who may be interested in participating in this class, please, so I can figure out how much equipment we'll need and how to schedule the activities for the class.

      Keep in mind we do have pipe corrals available for visiting horses and there are a a few rental horses at Prado that will probably take to jousting once they've gone through the necessary training. If you need a rental, be sure to reserve one EARLY so you aren't left out. Prado rentals are $50 per day.

      To reserve stalls or get more information about horses at GWW, please contact the equestrian autocrat, THL Judiwiga, at <judwigacaidi@...>.

      For more information about the my "SCA JOUSTING 101" Class, see below.

      In service,

      Lady Ariadne de Glevo
      Jousting Marshal & Deputy KEO, Caid
      Equestrian Marshal, West Kingdom
      (Member, International Jousting Assoc.)

      SCA JOUSTING CLASS INFORMATION:

      5 Simple Class Rules:
      1. We are all responsible grownups but horses sometimes aren't. If your horse acts up or is having a problem with something, simply retire to a safe distance and work on the issue. When you are ready to come back and join the group, please do so but understand if I ask you to sit something out if you've missed an important preceeding step.
      2. If you have experiences to share, please do so at appropriate times and don't be surprised if I call on you to be the "demo dummy"....a lot! LOL
      3. Questions are always welcome, anytime.
      4. If you are a newbie to it all, don't panic, take a deep breath, relax and keep an open mind....the class starts off with baby steps suitable for a novice. Each step builds on the prior one, so you should never feel like you (or your horse) are out of your depth...if something doesn't feel right to you or your horse, or you're not comfortable with or ready for an exercise see rule 1!
      5.Any time you need a break, or have simply gotten to a point where you and/or your horse is "done," see rule 1.

      CLASS INFO: The class is divided roughly into 3 parts. (There's a break between each part)

      First part (roughly 9 a.m. to 10-ish) is on the ground and goes thru the society jousting rules, armour requirements, what to expect at a tournament, scoring methods, applying lessons from history, safety advice, ground crewing the joust, then moves on to lance handling techniques and drills on the ground. We will do some hits on a quintain on foot and do drills with lances (foam tipped and not) against each other on foot too (always good for some laughs!) Depending on the needs of the participants and their horses, we may do some on-the-ground horse despooking stuff too.

      Second part (10:30-ish to noon) is mounted. We will do lots of mounted drills to get horses passing each other correctly at various gaits, first as a group and then in pairs based on your rider auth level. We'll work on straightness, picking the correct leads, putting your horse in the right place in the lyst to joust, tracking, getting heads out of the way of oncoming lances, and learn ways to make sure brakes and steering work properly! We will also start to develop joust-pass technique...when to lower the lance and raise it. The mounted drills do NOT require armour however, you will be asked to carry a boffer sword and later a lance as we will be doing some mounted quintain work towards the end of the second part of class.

      Third part (after lunch until 1 p.m...this is the section we may do on Saturday depending on the weather and how hroses are doing) is mounted and also when you'll need your armour on! Now we will develop techniques for doing actual contact jousting passes. We will learn proper target presentation and refine the lance handling techniques we learned earlier. We will also do some more quintain work and start to trade hits (one jouster carries a lance, the other a target but not both at the same time). NOTE: Only those participants whose horses are handling everything well, and whose lance and shield techniques are well developed can expect to actually joust. I will conduct special authorization for those eligible towards the end of the class.

      SCA JOUSTING ARMOUR INFORMATION:

      You'll need to own or borrow the following to participate in the 3rd part of the joust class ONLY (that's the portion scheduled for after lunch or on Saturday). *You may participate in the morning session without any of this stuff! *

      Armour Regs (From the society rules)
      1. Helm - Helms must be of rigid materials (18 gauge mild or equivalent). There can be no openings that allow the penetration of a 1½ -inch dowel. Helms must have sufficient strapping and/or padding to prevent the rigid material from contacting the rider and so as not to be readily dislodged when subject to a moderate frontal impact.
      2. Gorget - according to heavy weapons standards.
      3. Body - rigid material covering chest and torso. Standard equestrian riding vests are deemed equivalent.
      4. Groin - groin area must be protected by sufficient means including saddle or armor.
      5. Hands - hand must be protected either by shield, gauntlet, or equivalent (i.e. vamplate on lance). ***
      6. Leg, arm, and shoulder protection - armor recommended, but not required.
      *MY* Requirements for class participants:

      Accidents do happen!!! The most common "boo boos" for beginners occur most often when a lance gets deflected or is mis-aimed. The groin, left arm and shoulder being the most *common* magnets for misplaced lances!

      Groin Protection: if you ride in an English (or dressage) saddle, please plan to wear groin protection...and no, I don't mean a cup. You can't ride in a cup without pain...trust me! A latigo or hardened leather apron, or a chain maille skirt work fine. If you use a western or Aussie style saddle, the pommel should provide groin protection but wearing something "extra" is always a good idea.

      Arm/Shoulder protection: Please wear something to protect your left arm and shoulder. If you don't have armour for this part of the body, a mundane long sleeve padded shirt, light barn coat, or a period arming jacket/gambeson work well.

      I do have an extra breastplate, helm, small gorget and a couple of padded shirts I can loan to female participants...let me know if you need any of these items.

      "No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle"
       ~Sir Winston Churchill
      "Well behaved women rarely make history"
       ~Laurel Ulrich Thatcher