Fwd from Mists Senechal: Ed Levin Park

  • tlwhyte17
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2006
      Genevieve here, with a message from the Mists Principality Seneshal:

      The next work day is May 13th (Yes against Collegium) but more dates
      are being planned and will also be posted as they occur.
      The parks dept is delighted to help build this relationship as are
      we.
      You support is most appreciated.

      Moira

      Greeting unto the Populace of the Mists, my name is Duncan Vitrarius,
      and I am the new Principality Seneschal. As was announced at Beltane,
      the Principality as enter into an agreement with the Santa Clara
      County Parks system, and Ed Levine Park, where as The Principality is
      now officially “Friends of Ed Levine Park". As their new friends we
      have agreed to organize a few work crews a year to help maintain and
      make improvements at the park, and as our new friends they have
      agreed to give us credit towards use of the different camping and day
      use areas within the park. If this partnership is successful, it will
      mean lower site fees for events held at Ed Levine Park, and possible
      over time we may be able to use these credits at the other parks in
      the Santa Clara County Park system. The date and time of future work
      parties will be announced on SCA West, at your local group meetings,
      in Court, and in the Page and Tempest as time and space allows. The
      organization of the work crews will be handled by both myself and my
      deputy Ghislaine d'Auxerre. If you are interested in signing up to
      help out on a work crew, please contact either myself or Ghislaine
      for more information.

      In Service
      Duncan Vitrarius

      Genevieve here again: Note that the first work crew is schecualled
      for this Saturday, May 13th. Yes, it conflicts with Collegium, but if
      some of you were not going to Collegium anyway this would be a good
      opportunity to secure a very good site. Note also that having Ed
      Levin would be a boon to us Equestrians. Brandee's barn butts up
      against Ed Levine park. There are *loads* of trails, and a little
      arena to boot. Would be an *excellent* site for a quest (it gets used
      for trail trials at least once a year). Also would be an excellent
      park for combo SCA "normal" Principality events and EQ activities.
    • Alice
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2006

        What Genevieve forgot to mention was that the park folks are talking about making the arena a *covered* arena.  They are also considering a request to build a small storage facility where we could leave equestrian equipment (like heads and reeds poles, rings stands, etc.).

        I plan to be there this Saturday, as I had not planned on going to Collegium and had no other plans in the works.  If anyone else in the Sacramento area wants to go and carpool, I'm open to it.

        The work party goes from 1pm to 5:30 pm.  I will be leaving Sac. around 11:30, and returning in time to be back by 7.   (It's our D&D night.)

        Who's joining me?  :- )

        -Ali

        On Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:16 AM, Genevieve wrote:

        Genevieve here, with a message from the Mists Principality Seneshal:

        <snipped>

        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2006
          I'm still torn between Collegium and the work day, but since I will likey not be doing much weeding in coming monthsa I'm loeaning towards the work day.  Should we try to weed the arena instead of the trail?
          :-), Marguerite

          On 5/9/06, Alice <ladyofowlwood@...> wrote:

[...]

          This email list is set up to make use of both the "Reply" button which replys directly to, and only to, the sender of that email; and the "Reply All" button which replys to all members of this list.

          Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval time dinner and tournament

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Autumn Cardone
            Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2006
              I wish I could go, but I am teaching at Collegium.

              I talked with Duncan Vitrarius, the Mists Seneschal, about this work crew. If this work crew weekend goes well, they will have more. With a few work crew weekends, we could even get this site for free since the SCA will be credited $10/hr for every worker who goes and helps make this nice park work better for us! He has requested that everyone who is going to attend email or call him and let him know to expect you. He will be providing a list to the ranger's gate (I expect the list will get you into the park free for the workday, and it will also will be used to credit the SCA for worked hours). His email is mistsseneschal(at)westkingdom(dot)org.

              Ed Levin Park wants us to fix up the park so that it better suites our needs. They want us to clean up the current arena, and the grounds as they are now. They are also interested in a covered arena (I was talking with Duncan to see if we could talk them into putting in a Western Competition sized arena (the size we get when we rent a show arena) in the future, as they currently have a small English sized arena. They also want to put in covered paddocks and storage facilities (I believe enough for the royal regalia, but I am not sure). I am sure that we could convince them to let us put in storage for a set of Equestrian Games Equipment, too.

              Have fun this weekend, and if you are planning on going to work at the park, don't forget to let Duncan know!

              -- Collette
              Mists Eq Officer

                Message 6 of 8 , May 19, 2006

                  On Friday, May 19, 2006 1:17 PM, Collette asked:

                  So how did this work weekend go?

                  -- Collette

                  Alison here.  Marguerite will have to speak for the group that worked on the horse arena.  I know the park ranger was mightily impressed with the work we did.  We spent the afternoon clearing the trailsides of Scottish Thistle and hemlock.  It all had to be done by hand in order to avoid removing or killing the indigenous plants.  And we had to remove as much of the root as we could to at least slow the spread and re-growth.  The day was plesant, especially in the shade.

                  I think I'll let Moira Ramsey tell the rest:

                  *************(from her LiveJournal)*********************

                  We had 31 people show up at the park today and work their butts off.  The group who were able to make it despite the short notice and being against a kingdom event were amazing and wonderful.  We are not sure yet but the work hours today may have paid for Fall Coronet. How amazing are these people???

                  More work parties will be happening and I will be playing the PR Machine for that.   We will try to have them on Sundays so we bounce against as many events as possible.

                  I have uploaded about 64 photos onto my photobucket album.  They are in no particular order since I wasn't paying attention to how they were uploading.

                  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v424/moirar70/Ed%20Levine%20Park/  <Alison's note: pay attention to the pile o' weeds that I'm standing behind in one shot.  The pile was on a hill and I'm standing a foot or two uphill of it.  I am 5'11", and have a 72" reach.  And that pile does not include all the stuff we were told to just leave where we threw it so it could turn into mulch.  That'll give you some idea of how many weeds we pulled.>

                  Various snap shots of the work day itself and many of the picnic that [info]roswtr forced upon all of us in her "Let me dominate you NOW" way **Grin** (Those who know [info]roswtr get the joke). She and her hubby cooked Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Veggieburgers and provided a veritable feast for a hungry and thirsty work crew.

                  That day was wonderfully successful and everyone seemed to have a great time.   I have to say it was one of the best "Events" I have been to.

                  As I have stated before, DV~ is so pleases at the response to this project and is already figuring out what we can do next.

                  I believe the photos 53 to 64 are thos of HG Duke Fabian wrestling a nail out of a fencepost with a shovel.

                  ***Please let it be noted that there was a hammer in the car not more than 20 feet away***

                  The day was wonderful and amazing and a delightful reminder as to why Our Kingdom is so amazing.

                  More work days are scheduled and as soon as we have a schedule from the park, we will be arranging more days.

                • Autumn Cardone

                    Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2006
                      Myself, Liesel, and Francisco worked on the EQ arena, which *almost* looked like a grass arena (even though it's sand) because it had so many weeds. This is no doubt due to the wet spring.  I focused on digging up thistle (yep, it all had to be done by hand/tools, no sprays), and then we all tried to clear the curve of the arena nearest the entry gate.  I could tell we had been there, but if you didn't see if beforehand you probably would not khnow.

                      But one step at a time, you can go miles!  We did indeed pay for Fall Coronet was my understandfing, and they announced the next date at Mists Investiture this weekend, though I didn't write it down so I'll have to check the newsletter.
                      :-), Marguerite

                      On 5/19/06, Autumn Cardone <autumn_cardone@...> wrote:
                      Cool! Thanks for the update!

                      -- Collette